Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Bootlegs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dahliarose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:45 pm
am i the only one who thinks it's wrong to buy/watch bootlegs?

most of the people i work with buy them, but i won't. i think it's wrong.

am i just a goody-two-shoes?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:57 pm
That's for you to decide. I won't bootleg, but if someone offered to let me borrow a bootleg I might accept. ^^;  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 pm
User Image

Personally I don't see any great shame or guilt in it, but like Takarada says, it's really for you to decide.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:00 am
i'm the same. i wont pay someone for someone else's hard work  

TruOtaku

Veddhartha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:56 am
Seconded and then no. I'm ready to pay from the stuff I really want to own and support the artist/film company etc. but I'm not willing to pay from something you watch once out of curiosity 'is this even semi-good or just waste of time?' kind of things. If I liked it, I go and buy it. I want to spend my little money wisely.

I'm still no bad piratism supporter. I own five bookshelves full of comics, books, movies and music - all genuine.

And then again, some things you just can't get normally. If I want to listen or see something out of mainstream, or read comics that haven't been published outside USA, I have to go for the download button.

*deleted long rant about how long it used to take to get new movies to this far*  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:45 am
I watch/read bootlegged movies/comics, but I 95% of the time end up buying a "true" copy when and if I can get my hands on one.

I love manga, but most of the titles I like never get published here in the US so I go online for fan translated copies (which are free so no one makes a profit off of them). Same goes for animes and Asian dramas (which you can never find in the US on dvd) but these again are subtitled by fans for fans and are free.

I'm with Veddhartha, if I like it I try to buy it, if it's dumb/bad I don't.

I used to do the same thing back in the heyday of Napster. If I liked an album I bought it. If there was only one good song on it, I didn't. I'm not spending $15 for one song xd  

Lady Antu

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:05 am
I don't think I own anything that isn't bootleg. If it is, then there wasn't any good way to get the original. I'm one for supporting the industry, especially nowadays when anime and manga are a bit easier to get to.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:01 am
I do think it's stealing to pirate a movie, game, or software. However, it's also good advertising technique -- some industries call it a "free sample." I do it in a way that is not stealing. I ask a friend to make me a copy of this or that tape, movie, CD, software, whatever. I watch/listen/use the software. If I don't like it, good, I haven't wasted any money; I recycle the material, no harm done. If I do like it, I'll go out and purchase the item in a legitimate way, because I'll want the directions, technical support, the lyrics and images on the CD case, and so on.

However, this ONLY works because I do go out and buy the item legitimately if I decide I like it, and destroy the item if I don't like it. If I kept the item around and used it (or let it gather dust), it would be stealing.  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

QuietStorm XII

Devout Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 am
So Im not going to pretend like Im on a high horse like some of you. I do buy cds and I do "bootleg" - (Such a pretty word for downloading BTW). If I find myself downloading too many songs from the same cd (usually 5 or more) Im buying the cd full price. Im just tired of some artists half-@$$ing on cds by loading it with lame songs and dumb skits. Then turn around on CRIBS and showoff all the money they made of thier fans. Total slap to the face. But its just an opinion. If you do, great!, If you dont, awesome! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:52 pm
I bought one once and the quality was crap. I would never do that again, and wish I hadn't, that five bucks could have gotten me a sandwich.  

Samantha_Grey

8,400 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Corbin Noir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:06 am
Yarr-harr diddly-dee.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 am
my sister gave me a bootleg of the Star Wars 2 long ago, I still haven't watched it. I am not sure where it is. I discussed it with my daughters and we decided together that it was wrong to watch it like that. I am proud of my girls, they gave me their own opinions and did not wait for me to decide.  

Aegean_Kassan

Danamii

Sparkly Lunatic

5,225 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:32 pm
-walks in looking suspicious-

cd's....

...dvd's...

-walks out-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am
I have gotten bootleg movies and cds! If someone wants to make a little side money more power to them! If i can find a good site for bootleg movies, ill b the one making a little money on the side twisted pirate biggrin  

obe1ball

Gaian Geezers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff