Feeling Bad when people think you are new to Gaia Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 am
Honestly, I sometimes have a hard time understanding what someone is trying to say when they use chat speak. I'm not big on it, I don't use it, that's just me.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:53 am
I rarely use chat speak, the most I'll ever use is a "lol" here or "brb" that's the most I do. I don't like chat speak. . . I don't even chat speak when texting >_< it's a waste of my brain to use it. besides that I don't like the whole replacing a single letter or a number for a word takes me a little bit to try and understand what the little kid is saying when they do that.  

Lita Kuragari

Arabanth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 am
when i stated to be here in gaia ppl did the same to me but the funny thing is that i never mean to write like "chat room" in fact i made typos xp  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 pm
Draconian Pheonix
Corbin Noir
I say most of the acronyms (rofl, fwiw, brb, etc) and I've been on the internet since 96 (and before that, bbses).

People can think whatever they like. 3nodding

I can see how with BBS' bandwidth might have been a problem, but otherwise it just seems an excuse to be lazy. I think it's funny, I've been told in passing not to speak spanish as "in this country we speak English" yet it seems young people aren't particularly satisfied with that language either. Next thing you know we'll be back to hieroglyphics to convey meaning.

I hate it when jerks say "in this country we speak English." My grandmother spent many bitter years getting used to speaking English, but she never forgot the cruel teachers who punished her for speaking Spanish in the boarding school she was sent to... I don't think she liked the boarding school much, either.

Me, I don't really speak 133t or whatever chat slang is called at the moment. And I'm a fast typist, so I enjoy trying to be grammatically correct (even if I am a rather horrid speller.)

But I think it's rude and somewhat oppressive either way to tell someone they can't type in 133t or to tell them that they MUST type in 133t.

Suxxors.  

Harbone
Crew

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 am
I supposed that chat speak is the next step in the evolution of our
language. Even I'm guilty of using sometimes like the aforementioned 'lol' and 'brb'.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:55 pm
The only chat speak I have succumbed to using are LOL-laugh out loud-, BTW-by the way-, and BRB-be right back-

I do not support it, but the influence is there. Perhaps that is our true goal in this guild as elders, we need to teach these young whippersnappers proper articulation. Teach them that by speaking in a manner that not only us but other literate supporting Gaians can understand. That way there would be far less confusion...But I suppose that is asking too much of them x3  

Fallicious Flavor

mdnytestar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:25 pm
Who cares what other people think?

Ok I admit to using lol, btw, brb, bbl, wtf, stfu, ttyl and omg occasionally. And when I'm speaking with others and run across the ones I don't know I google. Usually its easy to figure. But someone asked me "hru?" and I was like wtf? haha. Supposedly that was How are you -_-  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:55 pm
Harbone

Me, I don't really speak 133t or whatever chat slang is called at the moment. And I'm a fast typist, so I enjoy trying to be grammatically correct (even if I am a rather horrid speller.)

Me too. I type faster than I can translate into l33t anyway. Really if you can use more than two fingers to type I think l33t is pointless. I have been known to use LOL or BRB, but that's about all my poor senile brain can retain.

I tend to agree with Veddhartha, I'm an adult and this is how I talk - I'm not going to apologize for it.  

Catira Norr

mizducky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 pm
mdnytestar
But someone asked me "hru?" and I was like wtf? haha. Supposedly that was How are you -_-

Is that the new ASL?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:16 am
I don't use "chatspeak" at all. I do use common acronyms to save typing, however.

I use these the most.

LOL, LMBO, TTYL, BRB, GMTA (Good minds think alike), etc.

I don't mind if someone else uses others, as long as I can decipher what the message is.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers