Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Americans and Eclectic vs. Traditional

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm
Do you think it is in the nature of Americans to trend more towards eclecticness vs. traditional paths? The point I am trying to get at is that, most other countries have their own traditions and culture that extend back for hundreds (in some cases thousands) of years, where as the US is only 200 or so years old and was made up of people with varying traditions and cultures (they don't call us the melting pot for nothing blaugh ). So is it any wonder that we have trouble with the concept of Traditional Wicca, when we don't really have any reference to what long term tradition is?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm
As a fellow Colonial I feel the same way about New Zealand (and Australia ^_^). We have a habit of making the best of something with what we have. In some ways we still have strong ties to the Mother Country and traditions through there, but being a country of less than 200 years, and being of a "number eight wire" sort of mentality, we're rather eclectic in general.

I mean... I'm 6th generation on one side of the family, with my ancestors coming here just after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, and 1st generation on the other side, as my grandmother and great grandfather are English, my grandfather served as a Para in the British army and my dad was an army brat who grew up in the UK. So in effect I have stronger ties to the UK than many and the sense of tradition from there has more influence on me personally.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 am
ya, i would say living in this "melting pot" makes it rather hard to follow a traditional path.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 am
I say any western culture would almost certainly lean towards electicism (sp?).

Maybe its my psychology brain working but western cultures like America focus on the needs of "I" not "we" like eastern cultures do. People strive to be independant, ambitious and sucessful by any means.

Therefore it seems only logical to me that Americans, the English and Europe ae more like to favour a path where you can "craft" your own religious path.

Does any of that make sense? lol
xx  

doistu

AiRune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 pm
Speaking from my own experience, I'm eclectic because there's nothing else for me. Both of my parents are of mixed heritage from broken homes. I've had to come to terms with the fact I have no roots. And there are a lot of people in a similar situation.

So that's why I propose that it's not just the cultural mindset of individualism that's caused this trend toward being eclectic. In most countries, people have inhabited the land for centuries, developing their own unique culture and ways of thinking. The United States was practically born over-night with a smattering of people with diverse cultures. As these people became exposed to other ideas, the hold on their ideas began to slip. Generation after generation, the old ways were abandoned to make way for the new. So now we're left with this sludge we try to pass off as American culture. It's about as real as Hollywood, right down to people playing pretend.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:47 pm
How are we delineating 'eclectic' and 'traditional' here? While I understand the use of these terms, I've been thinking lately how odd they are when using them to describe a religion still composed primarily of first-generation adherents. Even so-called 'Traditional Wicca' derives its source material from an eclectic amalgam of sources. What really makes something 'traditional?' Really? How long does it have to be done by a certain formula before it's 'tradition?' How much room does 'tradition' leave for creative innovation and evolution to avoid spiritual stagnation? Are we not all eclectic? Isn't Paganism by its nature syncretic, both historically speaking and in contemporary practice? Is 'tradition' in Wicca, then more the equivalent of what a church group is in Christianity? A term used simply to describe a body of adherents who follow like practices?

Perhaps a bigger point I'd like to make is this. Are we not all building upon the ideas given to us by our ancestors and making them our own? Can't we all claim a lineage which goes back to the stone age by virtue of the fact that we're alive right here, right now? Aren't we all a grand legacy of life? Part of a grand interconnected web of existence?

From a personal standpoint, it's enough for me to hold that thought. I don't care if what I do someone else considers 'eclectic' or 'traditional.' I'm not sure this either-or dichotomy captures the spirit of anyone's religious practice but particularly not my own.  

Starlock

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:51 pm
personally i think its all about what you have access too. like here in canada you can access traditional wicca or ecclectic, not usually in the same place however. if you have more access to one then your more likely to go down thsat path then the other.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:54 pm
As someone living in America, I'd have to say eclectic, just going on the few pagans I've met, and the books I've read by American authors.  

Aryain Flames

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games