Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
So is the world going to end on Wednesday?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It's the end of the world as we know it...
  oh well..
  bugger..
  don't be daft
  OH NOES!!1! ThE WORLD BE ENDING, KISS UR a** GOODBYEZ!!1!
View Results

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:01 pm
So you've probably heard the news lately. If not here's a bit of back story...

Somewhere in Europe, I forget where, they've built this huge hadron collider. Basically it's the biggest science experiment of all time.

There is some controversy over what this experiment could cause. One view is that nothing will happen, the experiment will work perfectly and no effects will be seen across the globe.

The other is that the experiment will start off a chain reaction that could destroy the world, if not the galaxy/universe.

So, the topic of discussion, do you believe the world could end Wednesday, when they activate this device for the first time.

Think about it though. The events happening in the world at the moment. The Wars, the recessions, countries on the brink of civil war, all of this topped by a dangerous experiment that could destroy everything if it goes wrong.

So what are your beliefs?
Could the world be ending?
If not, what do you think would cause the end of the world?
Don't you think it's strange, that if the world is on the brink of destruction, no one seems too concerned?
Can you think of anything else related?

I'll try to find a link to the story for a bit more background info.
EDIT: found the link

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm
If anything, we have to wait until October for the end of the world, they're only firing the first beams on Wednesday, the first collisions they're going to do are on the 21st of October.

and nothing's going to happen anyway, it's one of those things people say that aren't true to scare you, like urban legends and the sandman.  

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:11 pm
Nu Lucrezia
If anything, we have to wait until October for the end of the world, they're only firing the first beams on Wednesday, the first collisions they're going to do are on the 21st of October.

and nothing's going to happen anyway, it's one of those things people say that aren't true to scare you, like urban legends and the sandman.

Err... the 21st October?
That's on my Birthday eek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Happy Birthday!!!

Seriously, if the world does end and everyone dies, you can find me in heaven - I'll be the one having loads of sex with Marilyn Monroe - and say "I told you so".  

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

The Doom Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm
I think the HARDON COLLIDER is actually a ******** breakthrough in the field.
I'm obsessed with this kind of science.

And while it's fun and all to pretend that a mini black hole is going to rape us all, I really don't think it will do anything of the sort.
I'm very excited to see what kind of things we'll discover through the use of the accelerator, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:22 pm
Nu Lucrezia
Happy Birthday!!!

Seriously, if the world does end and everyone dies, you can find me in heaven - I'll be the one having loads of sex with Marilyn Monroe - and say "I told you so".

But I don't want the world to end on my Birthday. That would mean all those people were right, I am the bringer of destruction crying
I wanna have smexy time before I die! crying

cheesy nipples

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm
The Doom Merchant
I think the HARDON COLLIDER is actually a ******** breakthrough in the field.
I'm obsessed with this kind of science.

And while it's fun and all to pretend that a mini black hole is going to rape us all, I really don't think it will do anything of the sort.
I'm very excited to see what kind of things we'll discover through the use of the accelerator, though.

I admit now that I've read up a bit about it, it would be interesting to see the results of the experiment and just what it could lead to.
I haven't indulged myself in a scientrific topic for a while, so this might provide that bit of ease for me now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm
That sounds intriguing and a bit scary...but will it work? How long have they been working on this and why hasn't it made national television? Obviously I'm a bit skeptical.  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:27 am
Reeves
That sounds intriguing and a bit scary...but will it work? How long have they been working on this and why hasn't it made national television? Obviously I'm a bit skeptical.
This has been in the pipeline for years, I think it's not really made the news because they've yet to actually unveil it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:08 am
everyone likes a spooky story every now and then  

funkyshotzz

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:45 pm
Nu Lucrezia
Reeves
This has been in the pipeline for years, I think it's not really made the news because they've yet to actually unveil it.

Still, you'd think at least the American media would have gotten its hands on the story. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:21 pm
On one hand: The thing works perfectly and powers the globe, thus eliminating many energy crises. On the other: it could destroy everything. We could wake up to a world of dyed skies that rain ash and society as we know it crumbles and chaos ensues.

Win-win, IMO.

NogginDew

Business Werewolf

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:25 pm
NogginDew
On one hand: The thing works perfectly and powers the globe, thus eliminating many energy crises. On the other: it could destroy everything. We could wake up to a world of dyed skies that rain ash and society as we know it crumbles and chaos ensues.

Win-win, IMO.

xd
Well with the way society is these days, it can't get much worse really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:44 pm
In truth, I was speaking to a big science guy I know, and he basically said this about the worries:

"There is a larger possibility of the LHC sending the world into another dimension or turning it into a strangelet then there is of it getting sucked into a black hole."

So basically, hardly any possibility at all. Best not to worry over things that could kill us when death can be just outside.  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
The Barely-Knowns

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers