Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!
Okay, this is embarassing. . . ^^' Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Help . . .
+ 1.
100%
 100%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 48

theEmocarebear

Playful Player

10,825 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:44 pm
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

I've read books and novels about people and teens who just take their knitting out and start knitting in public or at their school. I have a lot of free time at my school - or enough that reading will get boring, and I wouldn't mind taking a wip to school and working on it.

Except (I feel bad) that I get kinda' embarassed about it. I took a purse I was working on in 4th grade to school, and worked on it in indoor recess, and no one cared. A lot of the kids thought it was cool.

However, that was a long time ago, with different kids, at a different school. My best friends know I knit, and don't mind too much.

I'd really like to bring my knitting to school or out in public. Could someone give me some advice on how to do that with out feeling embarassed or super self-consciouncous?

(Sorry for the wall of text. sweatdrop )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:03 pm
I do it at college all the time. Just pull it out and start knitting on it. People usually ask what you're working on, and once you explain what it is, proceed to work on it as if they weren't there. That way, no self-consciousness.

Or if possible, find other knitters and knit with them. There's power in numbers, and the more people you find doing the same thing the less embarrassed you should be.  

Autumn-Crystal

canadian_treefrog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:39 am
When you bring your knitting out in public, two things happen.

1) people will mock you and call you a "grandma" but all that does is show their own ignorance.
2) people will be impressed, people will become interested, and new friends can be made based on a common interest!

I think the second point is well worth dealing with the first point. perhaps you can show some ignorant people the joys of yarn biggrin

Never be self concious that you can make something beautiful.

I knit on the bus and in lecture at my university, and I've had far more positive comments then negative comments. . . just be prepared for everyone to ask you to make them something! "OMG! YOU KNIT?! MAKE ME A SCARF!!!!" ^.^

LoL, Best of luck biggrin There's no shame in being awesome!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:34 pm
Honestly I think you'll get more good comments than bad. I brought some of my projects to school and most people thought it was cool that I could make things like that. And like canadian_treefrog said, be prepared for people to ask you to make you stuff lol.

Legomym3go

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 am
There is a third option that Canadian Treefrog forgot--normally, when I pull out my knitting, everyone ignores it. I knit all through the first week of school, in class, outside class, and never got one comment or question, and hardly even a funny look (granted, I am a senior and most people are used to seeing me knit at odd times, but I also go to a fine arts college, and most people there don't consider fiber of any kind to be "real" art, it's "just a craft." To top it off, I'm in three fashion classes this semester, and the fashion people at my school are notoriously upity. They didn't even give me a second look, and I don't know most of them.

You should be fine. I doubt you'll have any problems at all. The few people who have commented on my knitting are either friends or acquaintances, and most of them chalk it up to my quarky personality and leave it at that.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm
Don't feel bad, I crocheted in alll of my classes my junior and senior years of high school. (except Mrs. Stewart's English class, she was an evil teacher.)

canadian_treefrog
When you bring your knitting out in public, two things happen.

1) people will mock you and call you a "grandma" but all that does is show their own ignorance.
2) people will be impressed, people will become interested, and new friends can be made based on a common interest!

or (if you are a guy, like me) they peg you for a homosexual (I'm straight and enjoying marridge to my wife!)  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

reishijade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:57 am
For me, the only really nerve-wracking thing about doing my knitting in public when I first started was the idea that someone who was better at it than me would show up and see how amateur it was. I don't worry about it so much anymore, partially because I've gotten better, but mostly because when another knitter did show up, they would just be excited to see someone else working. More experienced knitters (I belong to a group where I'm the youngest by at least 20 years.) are generally very wonderful and helpful.
Now if you really want to fetch some odd looks, I have the recipe for that one. I took my drop spindle with me and sat in the lobby of one of the buildings in my college and spun yarn between classes. I've actually drawn crowds, which, as a new spinner, made me very self-conscious. The key is just to relax and remember that most people either don't care, or just want to know more about what you're doing. If you have any sort of teaching instinct (I can't help myself, I'll launch into a lecture if you ask me enough questions.) then sometimes you forget to be embarassed in light of the opportunity to explain to others what it is you do. If not, it helps to keep in mind that the vast majority of people don't know anything about knitting and if you make a mistake, they can't tell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Autumn-Crystal
I do it at college all the time. Just pull it out and start knitting on it. People usually ask what you're working on, and once you explain what it is, proceed to work on it as if they weren't there. That way, no self-consciousness.

Or if possible, find other knitters and knit with them. There's power in numbers, and the more people you find doing the same thing the less embarrassed you should be.

i totally agree with her cause my friend at school does it and when she's alone doin it she gives me somethin 2 knitt well i ask 4 somethin 2 knitt with her and it makes her smile and she helps me of course and it makes her feel better....so yea power in numbers!!!!!!  

XxChrissGaGaxX
Crew

Mithrellas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 am
You have absolutely no reason to feel bad. A lot of people will still think it's cool, I believe, and if some people don't that's their problem. Go for it =)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm
When I knit, I usually get people staring at me funny, and sometimes they ask me what I'm making, and I show them the pattern.

I have a couple friends that call me grandma or old woman, but they're still fascinated with what I do, and ask me to make them stuff.  

-the bird told me-

CanB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:24 pm
It might help to take something that is just complicated enough to need most of your attention, so you can block people out because you're too busy with your knitting. If you're in college, and mp3 player helps create a barrier, too. That way, if anyone wants to bother you, they have to tap you on the shoulder, and nobody really does that if all they want to do is mock you.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm
You shouldn't let it bother you. I'm in high school and I knit at school all the time. What you can do is start a knitting club or something if you have all that free time. A surprising number of people might be interested and join. I'm starting one at my school and we do tons of projects for charity and fun.  

Susie-adieu

jollylolli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 pm
I pull my crochet stuff out at work all the time ( I work at the desk of a dorm). Idk how people can knit or crochet during classes because I HAVE to pay attention, or I'm painting since I'm an art major. But I've never had any comments about it, but it takes me alot of effort to not give an annoyed face when someone comes up to ask me for something. Right now I'm doing some broomstick lace type stuff so i have knitting needles and am crocheting so I guess I'm super granny. lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:10 pm
When I first started knitting, I would bring it on the bus with me to keep the ride interesting. One kid would just stare at me, fascinated by the actual act of knitting (it somehow entertained him), and one girl who used to knit but forgot asked me to re-teach her. I've only had a few people call me "grandma", and they were all idiots anyway, so their opinion didn't bother me. Most people are just amazed that I can do it, then they're even more fascinated that I'm working on some cabled or lace wonder, or making a pair of stockings, because those all look difficult, but I'm able to knit away like crazy, barely looking - I've been doing it far too long, and so I was able to knit my favorite purse, which is a beautiful Aran-style pattern with cables and bobbles galore, while barely looking.  

Sachiko13

summerchristmas838

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm
Ooh~.. I'm in middle school, and sometimes I crochet/sew plushies in core. The only person who cared was the girl who sat next to me, and she thought it was cool.  
Yarn-A-Holics- A Crochet and Knitting Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games