Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frygate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 am
Are they good books?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 pm
Ugggh. Seriously.

FICTION. There's a reason it's called fiction. Not true.

Nobody's claiming that anything in these books is real. They're entertainment. Reading Harry Potter may casue me to shout "LUMOS" at a lightswitch or "ACCIO" at a remote as a joke, but it's not going to make anyone believe that magic is real or that they ought to go to their backyard and make themselves a wand out of a stick and start trying to do spells with it. It's not going to turn anyone against God.

Neither is Twilight. After reading it, do you believe in vampires?

Exactly. No.

These people that go around saying Harry Potter turns kids into heathens who want to practice magic are wrong. Completely and totally wrong. And if they're going to start saying that reading Twilight is going to send kids on late-night searches for vampires to fall in love with...Wow. I have nothing to say to that one. That's beyond the realm of stupid.

Kids and teens are smarter than some adults give us credit for...and much less naive. I love how these people are fighting against these books simply because the word "magic" appears somewhere. I'm slightly offended that people think the general public is such a mindless herd that we read a book and are going to change our beliefs because of it, that we can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

C.S. Lewis put magic into the Narnia books! The magic wardrobe led the kids to Narnia! Oh no! Ban the books, they've got magic in them, they'll send kids to Hell!

Yeah. Sounds stupid to you, too, doesn't it? Especially when you consider that C.S. Lewis is one of the most prominent Christian authors out there.

I've yet to meet someone (Christian or otherwise) who sincerely believed in magic and wanted to start practicing it because they read Harry Potter. I've also never met anyone who so much as waivered in their faith becuase of Harry Potter or Twilight...or any other fantasy book.

Sorry, I know everyone's probably basically said this already, but this kind of thinking really rubs me the wrong way. My rant's over.

Spastic waffles

godessoftheflute3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Depends. If you feel that reading the book is a bad influence, and you start behaving a certain way, do not read it. If you just see it as a story, it is ok. Of course you only see it as a story, I mean influence your behaviour like maybe you start thinking it is ok to put one person above all others, and worship them Like Bella does Edward. Honestly, I love that book series, but she obsesses over him far too much. In my opinion, she needs to love her family and friends just as much.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:03 pm
Frygate
Are they good books?

Well, personally, I say no. I mean Vampires DO NOT sparkle. They burn. In Twilight when the Vampires go out into the sunlight they sparkle. I mean seriously...what the heck...? But, I guess if you can get over how much stuff about vampires has changed-and you like books basically about love/romance-then you would like the books. Honestly, I don't see why so many people are in love with these books. Mainly it's just a bunch of boring stuff that happens. And it's pretty much about how much everyone is obsessed with Bella, and how Edward loves her so much. But if you like it...well, that's just your opinion. And I'm fine with other people's opinions....but I just don't really like the books. I'll probably finish reading the series...just because I want to see how it ends, and I'm going to see the movie. And I'm Team Jacob mrgreen , so whatever....
But it pretty much annoys me...
...Just saying...  

Texas Is South

SloanSage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 pm
After reading a few synopsis of the books, I read the first two chapters, then I skimmed, then I read the end. then I cried because of how horribly it was written.

As others have said, if you are smart enough not to fall for stuff, then you are fine.

But, as an English Major, I dislike it greatly when people praise a book because of the writing. Really, the only character that is well developed is Jacob. The others are shallow and not really characters to be looked at with too much fondness (you can find other characters in books hat are minor ones but they have a deeper development and are better in their fabric.)

Besides... the complete genre of Gothic Literature would be put to shame because of this book series! There is the common furniture, but not enough! The logic and the true things that are put into the characteristics of a vampire are not there. For a great Gothic Tale, read some George MacDonald. Read Draculla (the origional! blaugh ) and stuff like Frankenstein.

@Divine - censoring yourself is not bad. It is not weakness. Rather it shows personal inner strength and an ability to think critically. Saying whatever comes to your mind is rude, belligerent, and just plain mean. and sarcasm is not always a good thing. Sometimes, it means you lack wit or the ability to think properly before speaking. Also, it is not appreciated by many people when it is said in a hurtful manner.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:23 am
I think a more controversial issue is to question whether it is right for Christians to create fiction with demonic and or evil themes and characters.

Thoughts?  

OneWithDunamis

Ricette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:20 pm
OneWithDunamis
I think a more controversial issue is to question whether it is right for Christians to create fiction with demonic and or evil themes and characters.

Thoughts?
Only if you are a close minded Fundie should you question something. Its fiction that they write. They will not burn, they will not suffer. Its fiction. Who cares who writes it? Really?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am
Spastic waffles
Ugggh. Seriously.

FICTION. There's a reason it's called fiction. Not true.

Nobody's claiming that anything in these books is real. They're entertainment. Reading Harry Potter may casue me to shout "LUMOS" at a lightswitch or "ACCIO" at a remote as a joke, but it's not going to make anyone believe that magic is real or that they ought to go to their backyard and make themselves a wand out of a stick and start trying to do spells with it. It's not going to turn anyone against God.

Neither is Twilight. After reading it, do you believe in vampires?

Exactly. No.

These people that go around saying Harry Potter turns kids into heathens who want to practice magic are wrong. Completely and totally wrong. And if they're going to start saying that reading Twilight is going to send kids on late-night searches for vampires to fall in love with...Wow. I have nothing to say to that one. That's beyond the realm of stupid.

Kids and teens are smarter than some adults give us credit for...and much less naive. I love how these people are fighting against these books simply because the word "magic" appears somewhere. I'm slightly offended that people think the general public is such a mindless herd that we read a book and are going to change our beliefs because of it, that we can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

C.S. Lewis put magic into the Narnia books! The magic wardrobe led the kids to Narnia! Oh no! Ban the books, they've got magic in them, they'll send kids to Hell!

Yeah. Sounds stupid to you, too, doesn't it? Especially when you consider that C.S. Lewis is one of the most prominent Christian authors out there.

I've yet to meet someone (Christian or otherwise) who sincerely believed in magic and wanted to start practicing it because they read Harry Potter. I've also never met anyone who so much as waivered in their faith becuase of Harry Potter or Twilight...or any other fantasy book.

Sorry, I know everyone's probably basically said this already, but this kind of thinking really rubs me the wrong way. My rant's over.
I can't tell you how much i agree with you.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Lady_Lavoshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:57 pm
mazuac
Here's my take on books that contain mystics and magic. As long as it does not interfere with your faith, it's fine.

I love writing books, most of them contain magic, powers, etc. Harry Potter is one of my favorite series. Young Wizards is my ALL TIME FAVORITE! And... I also like Inkheart and Inkspell. Oh, and also the "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. While the books beleifs are TOTALLY against Christianity, this does NOT mean I can't recognize the books as a terrific story, plot, etc. They are great stories, they just go against the Christian beleifs.

Just my view on books though~
I totally agree with you. As long as you don't let what you read/watch sway your faith, its fine.

And I love Inkheart and Inkspell. :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:21 am
Isn't it ironic that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I wouldn't want my kids to read the book because it portrays abuse (emotional manipulation, stalking, physical threats, etc.) as love. Christian or otherwise, that's pretty messed up.

Teoka

Frygate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:02 am
It's not an evil book, but why read it. Maximum Ride is like 50000000000x better.
Not to offend anyone. but if there's a doubt ..... I mean why do we HAVE to read it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:03 am
Lady_Lavoshire
mazuac
Here's my take on books that contain mystics and magic. As long as it does not interfere with your faith, it's fine.

I love writing books, most of them contain magic, powers, etc. Harry Potter is one of my favorite series. Young Wizards is my ALL TIME FAVORITE! And... I also like Inkheart and Inkspell. Oh, and also the "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. While the books beleifs are TOTALLY against Christianity, this does NOT mean I can't recognize the books as a terrific story, plot, etc. They are great stories, they just go against the Christian beleifs.

Just my view on books though~
I totally agree with you. As long as you don't let what you read/watch sway your faith, its fine.

And I love Inkheart and Inkspell. :3

I'm reading Inkspell right now!!  

Frygate

genbounty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:20 pm
Frygate
It's not an evil book, but why read it. Maximum Ride is like 50000000000x better.
Not to offend anyone. but if there's a doubt ..... I mean why do we HAVE to read it.
I liked the Maximum Ride series, but the last one out (so far) was seriously disapointing...like, the 'save the world' thing? Yeah...(the first one was good though ^.^)

Edit: LOL I spelt one wrong...XD  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:43 am
divineseraph
Information is never evil.
Funny, I still find myself wondering if the eating of the fruit was worth it.  

Reverend MacManus

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250

Reverend MacManus

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:47 am
Teoka
Isn't it ironic that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I wouldn't want my kids to read the book because it portrays abuse (emotional manipulation, stalking, physical threats, etc.) as love. Christian or otherwise, that's pretty messed up.
Reading tidbits here and there of talk of her having some psychlogical issues as an author and creating Edward almost just to have her own fictitious ideal lover... I'm honestly beginning to think shey may have some repressed urges or some sort of mental problem. I didn't and couldn't really finish the first book. I got to chapter seven and quit. Mostly because my ex whom compared me to Edward dumped me two weeks before I left for basic. But... I don't think I'd want to finish the book anyways. Who knows? All I know is the books have a lot of popularity and it may only get worse. Of course, maybe the movies will ruin its fandom or something and it'll die off soon.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff