Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
The Barely-Knowns Manga (All of Chapter 2 is up!) 8.30.08 Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roll Call
  Present!
View Results

Kelti

Green Combatant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:36 am
A Barely-Knowns Manga

Website is here.

Updates:
8.8.08: Drafted thread, uploaded Page 2
8.9.08: Posted thread and uploaded Pages 1 and 3!
8.10.08: Uploaded the rest of Chapter 1!
8.13.08: First two pages of Chapter 2 are uploaded!
8.17.08: Took Marius's idea and made a website for better convenience.
8.30.08: Uploaded the rest of Chapter 2 and resized the images. Currently replacing the images with HTML for clearer viewing.

Hi, everybody! Thanks for stopping by the official Barely-Knowns Manga thread. Here, I will post updates on the manga's progress and the chapters with the page numbers.

For those of you that are curious what the manga is about, here's the plot rundown:

Plot
After being shunned when revealing his orientation, Reeves and his other friends decide to have their own meetings in which they can have conversation without fear of being unaccepted. Since not very many Gaians know their names (As they don't venture outside frequently), they call their group the Barely-Knowns, BK for short. Meeting places vary from Reeves's apartment complex to Vio's treehouse and the Black Behemoth Tavern, a small coffee shop with a bar. At the tavern the Poetry Slam contest takes place. On weekend nights they meet in The Doom Merchant's dorm room at Durem College, sometimes even gaining access to other parts of the college.

The BKers continue to get to know eachother more through personal anecdotes. They begin spending more time traveling together through Barton, Aekea, Durem, and Gambino, Gaia's well-known suburbs, eventually making their group known in all of Gaia. They especially become more well-known when Reeves, Noggin, Nu, and Ribb form The Daily Soundtrack, their own rock band, and when the newly appointed moderator, Keltim came from the Barely-Knowns.

As time passes the BKers have their own comic-relief episodes. Reeves goes on a chocolate frenzy, Meacorme and Theodra get wrapped up in dramatic romances, Brien gets into an accident as a result of a failed experiment, Violaceous Vertigo goes on a quest for the Solid Purple Donation Item, and Ribbish does odd jobs to obtain the rare Angelic Scarf.

However, several BKers begin going their owns ways due to life intervening. Marius suddenly departs after being recruited for the Gaia National Guard, Meacorme starts teaching at Durem College with less time to spend with the Barely-Knowns, Du Eld Vrangr randomly wanders off in search for enlightenment, Nips spends less time with the BK and more time hunting down the criminals that hacked him, and Kelti suddenly discards her moderator status and leaves Gaia indefinitely.

As the Barely-Knowns's one year anniversary approaches, Reeves decides that a Barely-Knowns reunion would be the best plan to bring all the BKers back together. To do this he decides to hold a formal dinner party at the Gambino Mansion. All the BKers except Kelti appear for the event. Regardless of the absence, The Daily Soundtrack entertains the Barely-Knowns and other guests with their newest hit song.

Just as there is a toast to the Barely-Knowns's one year anniversary a psychotic Joker-like Gaian crashes the party with her terror-esque acts, threatening to take over all of Gaia with gunpowder, gasoline, and dynamite. She briefly entertains the crowd with her twisted magic tricks until several BKers have their weapons at hand.

The Joker Gaian flees, the BKers following her until they encounter the treacherous Moose Lord, the Joker Gaian's partner-in-committing-crime. The BKers and Moose Lord engage in combat until Moose Lord surrendurs and reveals the Joker Gaian's location. The BKers eventually catch up with the Joker, engaging her in combat, eventually knocking her unconscious. The Joker is then arrested and taken to Brien's laboratory for experimenting.

Several days after the dinner party the media gets wind of the reunion and attempts to get a story, but is scared off with several comic-relief tactics. The Doom Merchant bangs on metal and walls with her drumsticks, Du Eld Vrangr writes frightening messages backwards, and NogginDew transforms in reaction to a "That's Gay" remark.

Now in peace, the Barely-Knowns continue having their meetings as normal despite the absence of several members. Eventually BKers start returning. Nips returns with the hackers caught and is immediately appointed as a BK crewman. Marius returns from the GNG with Honors. Du Eld Vrangr returns enlightened with several random Gaia facts, Meacorme gets promoted at Durem College and works less hours with a bigger paycheck, and Kelti, with several scars on her face, returns with news that Brien had cured her.

And now, for what you have been waiting for: The pages!

Chapter 1: The Beginning of the Barely-Knowns
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

Chapter 2: The Barely-Knowns Gain a Name
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10

Chapter 3: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 4: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 5: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 6: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 7: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 8: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 9: Title Pending
Coming soon!

Chapter 10: Title Pending
Coming soon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:11 am
I'm liking the start of this
biggrin biggrin  

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Kelti

Green Combatant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am
Nu Lucrezia
I'm liking the start of this
biggrin biggrin
Even despite the silly mistakes I've made so far? o:

Yaaay! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:42 am
SO. AWESOME. OH. MY. GOD.

heart heart (Dances around)

Meacorme
Vice Captain

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:45 am
(Goes through a happy spasm)

Ohmigod. I know you may think the beginning's not that good, but it doesn't have to be stretched out. Plus I love the way you draw, I love the way you do our characters, I love the way you've set everything up! I cannot wait to see the other characters and watch how the plot goes out!

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED, THAT I ACTUALLY DIDN'T SWEAR. THAT'S HOW EXCITED I AM.

MAKING THIS A STICKY. NOW.

Mea's just standing next to me, and we're both grinning like idiots.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 am
Reeves

Ohmigod. I know you may think the beginning's not that good, but it doesn't have to be stretched out. Plus I love the way you draw, I love the way you do our characters, I love the way you've set everything up! I cannot wait to see the other characters and watch how the plot goes out!

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED, THAT I ACTUALLY DIDN'T SWEAR. THAT'S HOW EXCITED I AM.

Happy spasm, happy spasm!!

Reeves didn't swear?! That's a first. surprised

*Gives a cookie*  

Kelti

Green Combatant

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:48 am
Kelti
Reeves

*Gives a cookie*

Yay!

(Num num num num num...)  
Meacorme
SO. AWESOME. OH. MY. GOD.

heart heart (Dances around)
*Dances with Mea*

I am so excited that you guys are excited! 4laugh

I feel so loooooved. <33  

Kelti

Green Combatant

Meacorme
Vice Captain

I love the drawing style...
and the simplicity of the beginning...
I keep looking at the pages cause I like them so much! biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:49 am
Reeves
Kelti
Reeves

*Gives a cookie*

Yay!

(Num num num num num...)
It's a chocolate fudge cookie, your favorite!

Oh, crap. gonk  

Kelti

Green Combatant

Meacorme
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 am
Kelti
Reeves
Kelti
Reeves

*Gives a cookie*

Yay!

(Num num num num num...)
It's a chocolate fudge cookie, your favorite!

Oh, crap. gonk

Kelti!! What have you dooooooooone?!?! *Epic camera zoom out*  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am
(Disappears into a tornado)

FWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200