Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Language, do some words have to have translations? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shen Trey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:01 am
give it the thought that some words are their but have no translations, like many of my Tokeil Meanicunei, their are tons of words in their that have no ONE word translations, but up to Eight different translations. so I ask why do words only have to have one meaning>?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:24 am
perhaps an example would help, my word for T'chata-Naked/nude/undressed/exposed/uncovered/open/reveled/
seen/discovered  

Shen Trey

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:28 am
They don't have to only have one meaning. The culture that speaks my language, Niora, uses the same word for to speak/to sing/to say/to express with words. All they would use would be the verb 'solereshi' to express all of those ideas. One of their insults, 'maroshtaka' means literally 'a pathetic excuse for stardust' but is used contextually to mean 'someone who is wasting valuable time, space, and air, but who is not necessarily being unintelligent.'

So you don't need only one word translations. Some things just can't be taken literally.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 am
Homurakitsune
They don't have to only have one meaning. The culture that speaks my language, Niora, uses the same word for to speak/to sing/to say/to express with words. All they would use would be the verb 'solereshi' to express all of those ideas. One of their insults, 'maroshtaka' means literally 'a pathetic excuse for stardust' but is used contextually to mean 'someone who is wasting valuable time, space, and air, but who is not necessarily being unintelligent.'

So you don't need only one word translations. Some things just can't be taken literally.
AHA! thats what I was looking for, taking things literally, you must use words to fill the space and decipher it to fill in the meaning or context of the sentence its self!  

Shen Trey

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:37 am
Kawazoe Michiyo
Homurakitsune

AHA! thats what I was looking for, taking things literally, you must use words to fill the space and decipher it to fill in the meaning or context of the sentence its self!

Exactly. That's why translation between languages is such a difficult thing to do, especially in the case of fixed forms like song translations or poetry.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 am
Homurakitsune
Kawazoe Michiyo
Homurakitsune

Exactly. That's why translation between languages is such a difficult thing to do, especially in the case of fixed forms like song translations or poetry.
yes I see what you mean, however Tokeil Meanicunei was invented to be simplified and easy, so many words with similar meaningss are just combined to form one solid word  

Shen Trey

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:58 pm
Kawazoe Michiyo
Homurakitsune
Kawazoe Michiyo
Homurakitsune

yes I see what you mean, however Tokeil Meanicunei was invented to be simplified and easy, so many words with similar meaningss are just combined to form one solid word

That sounds somewhat like how Yiwoyuwa started out. (It got way more complex, though. xD Now it's much harder to learn with all the new grammar and what-not...)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:50 pm
They certainly don't. Languages that always have one-to-one translations with English are called cyphers, and they are Not Good To Have.

razz

My Aquénandi language has almost no morphemes/words that correspond exactly to English.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:54 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
They certainly don't. Languages that always have one-to-one translations with English are called cyphers, and they are Not Good To Have.

razz

My Aquénandi language has almost no morphemes/words that correspond exactly to English.

Almost none? I always end up having a good chunk that correspond in Yiwoyuwa. I just have multiple meanings for things. =/
I do have some that aren't literally translatable, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:14 pm
Almost none. But Aquénandi is weird and can't really be considered to have distinct words anyway.

razz  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:17 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
Almost none. But Aquénandi is weird and can't really be considered to have distinct words anyway.

razz

How can you not have distinct words at all? Don't you need at least a few? =/
(M'sorry if that's a dumb question...)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:28 pm
Basically, once a morpheme has been introduced and it's obvious what is being talked about, it is reduced; gotten rid of, as it were. It's a pronoun system taken to an extreme.

So the phrase "I speak Aquénandi" would translate as "ši akwenje."

A morphemic gloss of the phrase:

1PSG.NOM the(best).word-POS.PRES

This seems fairly simple, but as you get into speaking more you end up taking out all of the previously mentioned morphemes. So since it's obvious one's speaking in the positive present, the -je ending gets dropped to -u or just the schwa. The generalized verb is -ha-, so if you were to elaborate more on how you're speaking, you say the new information and [hə] (which stands for all of the information implicit thus far) or absolutely nothing.

When speaking Aquénandi, I often speak the Mazdrivonian version of it (which is not native at all) because I have issues getting used to the actual Lisfiri way of speaking. Er.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:30 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
Basically, once a morpheme has been introduced and it's obvious what is being talked about, it is reduced; gotten rid of, as it were. It's a pronoun system taken to an extreme.

So the phrase "I speak Aquénandi" would translate as "ši akwenje."

A morphemic gloss of the phrase:

1PSG.NOM the(best).word-POS.PRES

This seems fairly simple, but as you get into speaking more you end up taking out all of the previously mentioned morphemes. So since it's obvious one's speaking in the positive present, the -je ending gets dropped to -u or just the schwa. The generalized verb is -ha-, so if you were to elaborate more on how you're speaking, you say the new information and [hə] (which stands for all of the information implicit thus far) or absolutely nothing.

When speaking Aquénandi, I often speak the Mazdrivonian version of it (which is not native at all) because I have issues getting used to the actual Lisfiri way of speaking. Er.

Haha, that sounds really confusing. xD
Unique, though, I'll give you that. =)
I forget things to much to succeed in speaking Aquénand, if that's the case. xD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 pm
Unless you speak the Mazdrivonian dialect like I do. gonk

I could get away with it anyway in my conworld because I Am Not A Lisfiri. They'd probably just shun me. emo  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

Goddess Rukus

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:42 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
Unless you speak the Mazdrivonian dialect like I do. gonk

I could get away with it anyway in my conworld because I Am Not A Lisfiri. They'd probably just shun me. emo

xD
My conpeople seem a bit less extreme than yours does... and I haven't even started making them yet! O.O  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff