Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Are the terms "witch" and "wizard" interchangeable. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Siren Stern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:24 am
Here in Brazil, the word Wizard ("feiticeiro" in Portuguese) are used by Wiccans to refers in a pejorative way to someone who casts overmuch spells, forgeting the most important part of the witchcraft: to venerate the Gods and the nature, celebrating the seasons and the Moon phases. Here, the word "witch" ("bruxa") has a pejorative meaning between the society too, but it's most common used and well acepted by Wiccans. In other hand. I had never seemed someone refering self as a "Wizard".  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:16 pm
I don't like how people think that wizard is the male version of witch. It is soooo annoying!!!

Also I am quite interested in wizardry & I hate how some books ive read on wizards say that only a male can be a wizard.
Grrrr damn sexist......

Anyway the fact is that witchraft and wizardry are very different (I blame Harry Potter for the misconception) Besides wizardry practically died out It mixed with alchemy and became modern science.  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

doistu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 am
Wizard is too fluffy for me lol.

I don't know a single male witch who goes by the term "wizard"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:09 pm
Stargazer Dante
Just a random question. I feel like a fluff XD.

So are the terms "witch" and "wizard" interchangeable.

I have always found that "witch" is a proper form and "wizard" has never quite been mentioned within my studying,But are they interchangable,or should I say:
"Can one call himself a wizard,And can one herself a witch?"

No, I don't think they're interchangeable if you want to be taken seriously. If you're doing witchcraft for the lolz though I suppose you could call yourself a wizard. Although, if someone introduced themselves to me as a wizard, I'd start asking them what they intend to take on for a prestige class and how much it sucks to have a d4 hit die.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

LordNeuf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:38 am
From what I understand...

Witch (Fantasy) : A term used in a fantasy story setting to portray a female spell caster, usually a antagonist.

Witch (Modern) : A term used to identify practitioners of modern witchcraft and/or Wicca. The term witch can mean male or female practitioners. IMPORTANT NOTE : Not all Wiccans consider themselves Witches, not all Witches consider themselves Wiccans, and not all neo-pagans associate themselves with the word Witch.

Wizard : A term used in a fantasy story setting to portray a male or female spell caster. This term is exclusive for fantasy stories and has no bearing on the modern practice of witchcraft.

Warlock : Synomym for Wizard, a term unassociated with modern witchcraft.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 am
LordNeuf

Witch (Fantasy) : A term used in a fantasy story setting to portray a female spell caster, usually a antagonist.

Witch (Modern) : A term used to identify practitioners of modern witchcraft and/or Wicca. The term witch can mean male or female practitioners. IMPORTANT NOTE : Not all Wiccans consider themselves Witches, not all Witches consider themselves Wiccans, and not all neo-pagans associate themselves with the word Witch.

Wizard : A term used in a fantasy story setting to portray a male or female spell caster. This term is exclusive for fantasy stories and has no bearing on the modern practice of witchcraft.

In Wicca traditionally all Wiccans are Witches because it is a religion based on the use of witchcraft, so you can't really practice your religion with out it. Neo-Wicca (eclectic), tends to follow the "not all Wiccans are Witches" philosophy.

There are some Pagan paths that do use the term Wizard, (see the link on Oberon Zell-Ravenheart), but again not a title that is take too seriously in the Pagan community.

Warlock, at least from a Wiccan point of view means oathbreaker and shouldn't be used.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:57 pm
LordNeuf

I don't believe Wizard is purely a fictional term. Sure wizardry isn't as common as witchcraft these days but that doesnt mean that it doesnt exist.

As for the word 'warlock' I don't see how that term has anything to do with 'wizard' In fact i have never heard the term warlock outside a fictional context  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 am
Esselean
LordNeuf

I don't believe Wizard is purely a fictional term. Sure wizardry isn't as common as witchcraft these days but that doesnt mean that it doesnt exist.

As for the word 'warlock' I don't see how that term has anything to do with 'wizard' In fact i have never heard the term warlock outside a fictional context

warlock means oath breaker or liar, so to refer to someone as a warlock speciffically in the magickal community is a big insult.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

akineal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:40 pm
The term Wizard really has nothing to do with Witchcraft in particular, at least not the religion.
Wizard means Magician or Sorcerer, but never Witch.
They are purely fictional characters made by authors to say that the person had "powers" of some sort but was not connected to Witchcraft.

So I doubt it's interchangeable do to the fact that it has no actual connection to the Religion of Wicca/Witchcraft.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games