Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
"The Craft" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:00 pm
I just finished watching it for the first time, and I'm wondering: what exactly is so bad about it?

Sorry if this is a repeat topic--I at least haven't seen it recently.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm
It's been ages since I saw it as well. *ponders* Do they even claim to be Wiccan? Or is it just 'we're witches'?

From what I recall, it wasn't that bad of a movie. I can't say too much on accuracy, though. :3  

Maze

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:19 pm
I don't ever remember the word 'Wiccan' or 'Wicca' in the movie at all. They just say witchcraft and the craft. I didn't find anything wrong with the movie from a 'its just a movie' stand point.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:33 pm
If you enjoy silly movies (which is what I call horror movies that aren't actually frightening), there isn't anything wrong with it.

However- it is a classic example of Mr. Dark Fodder- but that has more to do with the people watching it than the movie itself.

And because some people use The Craft as shorthand for The Craft of the Wica- many people have taken offense in the past. My experience is that it is usually Eclectic Neo-Pagans who think they are practicing The Craft- and thus "casting hexes is bad!" mentality comes to the top of the complaint list.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:57 pm
TeaDidikai
And because some people use The Craft as shorthand for The Craft of the Wica- many people have taken offense in the past. My experience is that it is usually Eclectic Neo-Pagans who think they are practicing The Craft- and thus "casting hexes is bad!" mentality comes to the top of the complaint list.
But the hexers get their comeuppance in the end. Wouldn't that be the perfect morality play?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:01 pm
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
But the hexers get their comeuppance in the end. Wouldn't that be the perfect morality play?
The usual assertion I heard was that no one ever casts them. That the morality of it aside- it never happens and thus shouldn't be portrayed.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:49 pm
That movie is classified as a horror?? confused  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:59 pm
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
The usual assertion I heard was that no one ever casts them. That the morality of it aside- it never happens and thus shouldn't be portrayed.
Ah. Well...  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:42 am
Dragon_Witch_Woman
At my local video store it is.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
At my local video store it is.

I found it in the comedy section of the store by me. sweatdrop I was actually looking for Clerks when I came across it, lol. It was right along side "The Witches of Eastwick" which is a great cheazy 80's movie. xp  

Ashaelia Caeruisce

7,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:24 am
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:36 am
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai

User Image

Never said it was rational.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:41 am
TeaDidikai

In many ways, I prefer the habits of my hometown, where all occultists are considered evil... but dangerous. At least some respect (in the form of fear) is present, rather than just dismissive head patting.
~sighs~
Oh well, these things happen I suppose.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:45 am
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

In many ways, I prefer the habits of my hometown, where all occultists are considered evil... but dangerous. At least some respect (in the form of fear) is present, rather than just dismissive head patting.
~sighs~
Oh well, these things happen I suppose.
White Light doesn't liked to be feared. It contradicts the pop-Christian angelic image they enjoy...  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:53 am
TeaDidikai
White Light doesn't liked to be feared. It contradicts the pop-Christian angelic image they enjoy...

That's very understandable, fear does lead people to do stupid things... altho now there are laws to prevent alot of the worst of the stupid... but then again, my way is not the only way.
Neither is their's... as fluffy as such a group sounds, they should be able to embrace that they don't speak for everyone, all unique snowflakes and all. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff