His Dark Materials Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sacred_Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:21 pm
HerMan -Mister Shines-
I'll watch the movie, and if it's too cliche, then I won't even bother reading it. I have better books to read. (i.e. anything else)

--HerMan Shines

From what I understand, the movie is severely watered down, due to being offensive towards Christians and such. But, I seen the movie, and I liked it. I bought the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings, and it came with free tickets to see The Golden Compass.

Also, on a different note, the movie doesn't say she has the only compass, just one of the last as you said, and that the majority has been taken by that church. But, I would like to read the book.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 pm
Have read all the HDM books and was disappointed by the time I got to the third book. It didn't really help to explain certain things I wanted to be explained but then again I read the last book a year ago and have since forgotten what over all happened.

Know as for the rumors on God. From what I remember there was no concept of God, but then again it's been a year since I read the last book and I could be wrong. I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. It's fiction people it's not like the author truly believes in his writings of god. Though I don't listen to the rumors. I'll go see the movie if I have money next weekend. Mother wants to see it too.

If they make more than three movies I'm not watching them. If they can't make the story into three movies then they shouldn't have made it into a movie in the first place. Simple as that.

Maybe I'll reread the series when I get time.  

buwieshingo

Durem Shapeshifter

WolfTeeth-x

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:50 pm
I got that book for christmas actually. I can't wait to read it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 am
I'm a total fangirl for the books. There's only one thing different about the movie that really throws me off. And I think they did that because they don't plan to make the second and third books into movies. Which is understandable, given the church's volatile reaction before the whole religion thing becomes a major issue like it does in the last two books.  

LovelessNoire

LovelessNoire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:32 am
Snows_Silence
Have read all the HDM books and was disappointed by the time I got to the third book. It didn't really help to explain certain things I wanted to be explained but then again I read the last book a year ago and have since forgotten what over all happened.

Know as for the rumors on God. From what I remember there was no concept of God, but then again it's been a year since I read the last book and I could be wrong. I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. It's fiction people it's not like the author truly believes in his writings of god. Though I don't listen to the rumors. I'll go see the movie if I have money next weekend. Mother wants to see it too.

If they make more than three movies I'm not watching them. If they can't make the story into three movies then they shouldn't have made it into a movie in the first place. Simple as that.

Maybe I'll reread the series when I get time.
There is a God, but he's actually just the first angel, and all Christian religion has been a big fat lie. In the books. Also, the author is a military atheist.... double-whammy for the church. I believe in God myself, and reading the books didn't and will not change that. It's fantasy, people, yeesh. But, who know ... really. Maybe he's right. I liked that a major theme was ... whether or not there is a God, or a heaven, or a hell ... we should all do the best with what we have, because it's all we've got.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:35 pm
You know, I read TheGolden Compass years ago and liked it but I had forgotten most of it over time. When I found out that they were making it into a movie I snatched up the book trilogy and read The Golden Compass and part of The Subtle Knife before the movie came out. I was so scared they were going to slaughter it like they slaughtered Eragon and many other books. I thought though, in all honesty, they did a very good job with the Golden Compass.

I was disappointed that they changed Iorek's background meaninglessly and king Iofur's too. I was also disappointed that they switched the order of Bolvangar and Svalbard in the movie. One other thing was wrong, I liked the intensity of the bear fight in the book better. How something meant to protect Iofur turned against him and by his desire to be a man Iorek was able to fool him. I also thought they changed the character of Lyra personality wise too much. In the movie, she figured everything out about the Alethiometer and dust by herself where-as in the book she learned practically everything from those she met in her adventures. I was also disappointed to see that they left out Lyra and Roger opening the warehouse with the intercised Daemons in it and that they eliminated Tony Makarios and replaced him with Billie Costa. Oh, and the bears lips are wierd. And the machines they drive are wierd.

I was pleased though with the interpretation of the witches, although they seem to disapear as they land in the movie. I thought they did very well with Pantalaimon though and his character and forms. The settings, I thought, were pretty accurate and good. I have to admit that Lee's balloon was really cool in the movie too. The golden monkey was as evil as it should have been and they spy fly's were done very well, although they shouldn't have been gold.

I know the budget and all that other good stuff so I understand alot of why the movie's are never as you would like and all. I was really pleased with this one though. Eragon was horrid though as a movie. If I had seen Eragon the movie before reading the book I wouldn't have read the book it was so horrible. The Golden Compass was really good. 3nodding  

riku_gato

multifruit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:46 am
Love the books, don't wanna watch the films though. They will just ruin my ideas of the persons in the story. whee  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:26 am
I love the books, I only started reading them like a half year ago, and I did see something of the movie before I started reading it but I tryed not to watch any spoilers some the movie was gonna show me ^^ I have now finished all of the books and I have abselutely fallen in love with them ^^

I have seen the movie and I thought it was OK. it was not all the detales and I hated how it ended, the did not finish the book sad but it was ok to watch ^^  

Unnursvana

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

jimvansage

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 pm
This is the first time I've ever watched a movie and it made me want to read the book even more than ever.
Usually my attitude is "I've seen the movie, I don't know if I can stay interested."
but this really blew me away.
Aside from leaving some things out (now that I've read all three), fairly awesome.
Since they'll probably never make any sequels due to the religious controversy (Don't get me started on the absurdity of the church railing against fiction), it's a good gateway into the other world Pullman created that you can only completely envision from the novels.  
The FSFBG

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff