Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Draconic Paganism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

P 3 R S E P H O N 3

Bashful Assailant

7,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:45 pm
So, i've gotten really interested in the subject of Draconic Paganism, but i've noticed a lack of resources around it. I've only been able to find one or two decent websites with real information regarding anything on the topic. I'm really interested in this, I was wondering if anyone else knew of a good place to find information?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 pm
A lot of that might be because draconic Wicca isn't really a Wiccan practice and that when dealing with dragons it seems to be very heavily UPG based outside of any lore there is on dragons.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

P 3 R S E P H O N 3

Bashful Assailant

7,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
A lot of that might be because draconic Wicca isn't really a Wiccan practice and that when dealing with dragons it seems to be very heavily UPG based outside of any lore there is on dragons.

Ahh, sorry about the mis-communication. I meant no disrespect. I'm just very curious about the subject and I haven't been able to find much of anything on it. So I guess it being UPG makes quite a lot of sense...

Edit: Fixed the title to the thread and the OP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 pm
Cheebi Heebi
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Ahh, sorry about the mis-communication. I meant no disrespect. I'm just very curious about the subject and I haven't been able to find much of anything on it. So I guess it being UPG makes quite a lot of sense...

There's a lot of misinformation about Wicca out there. So it happens.

But on working with dragons I can see if I can dig up any books. Pretty much all I know is UPG based.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

P 3 R S E P H O N 3

Bashful Assailant

7,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:41 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Cheebi Heebi
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

There's a lot of misinformation about Wicca out there. So it happens.

But on working with dragons I can see if I can dig up any books. Pretty much all I know is UPG based.

Alright! Thank you so much for your help. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:23 pm
I've seen Land Sea and Sky by Parker J. Torrence recommended but reading the reviews I'm not sure. One even said Conway's better but from what I've heard I wouldn't recommend Conway.

So book wise I've got nothing on working with them. Sorry.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 pm
Yeah, like, theoretically, Conway's book might be good, but given how terrible her other books are it's not a safe bet.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:59 am
I've thought about checking out Conway's book just to see what's what with it but I haven't been to the library in a while. So many books on my reading list cat_crying  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:35 pm
With dragons, you're pretty much going to be on your own. You will have to research their history and mythology in different cultures to get a handle on how you want to approach them, and then decide what magical or ritual techniques you're going to use to contact and work with them. You are going to be doing a lot of construction of your own path, effectively, and really will have to learn to lean on your own intuition and personal gnosis. No-one is really going to be able to tell you what's what. You will have to decide what source materials agree with your experience, and what ones don't, and understand that in turn, others will not agree with your experiences or methods.

In my own experience, dragons are the living epitome of 'touchy'. They don't share our same cares or concerns, and generally aren't that interested in the desires of humans. So tread lightly around these spirits. Come with an offering and a really damn good reason for bothering them.

Conway's Dancing with Dragons is pretty meh. She herself has said she doesn't believe in actual dragons, but instead they're an archetypal symbol of certain kinds of energy. With that kind of approach, all 'spirits' are just the same lump of energy, and it doesn't matter if you think they look like a dragon, or a hedgehog, or a toaster. And as with most books about dragons and other myth-based beasties, it's largely UPG. Whether or not you think hers is workable for you is up to you. It's pretty weaksauce - her usual blend of bad research, vaguely Wicca-flavoured rituals, doggrel poetry, and soft-poly 'similar = same' theory.

I haven't read or even heard of the other book, so I can't give you an opinion on that.

Maybe try http://ebon-dragon.com/cotd.html; it's not half-bad.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:48 am
Morgandria
With dragons, you're pretty much going to be on your own. You will have to research their history and mythology in different cultures to get a handle on how you want to approach them, and then decide what magical or ritual techniques you're going to use to contact and work with them. You are going to be doing a lot of construction of your own path, effectively, and really will have to learn to lean on your own intuition and personal gnosis. No-one is really going to be able to tell you what's what. You will have to decide what source materials agree with your experience, and what ones don't, and understand that in turn, others will not agree with your experiences or methods.

In my own experience, dragons are the living epitome of 'touchy'. They don't share our same cares or concerns, and generally aren't that interested in the desires of humans. So tread lightly around these spirits. Come with an offering and a really damn good reason for bothering them.

Conway's Dancing with Dragons is pretty meh. She herself has said she doesn't believe in actual dragons, but instead they're an archetypal symbol of certain kinds of energy. With that kind of approach, all 'spirits' are just the same lump of energy, and it doesn't matter if you think they look like a dragon, or a hedgehog, or a toaster. And as with most books about dragons and other myth-based beasties, it's largely UPG. Whether or not you think hers is workable for you is up to you. It's pretty weaksauce - her usual blend of bad research, vaguely Wicca-flavoured rituals, doggrel poetry, and soft-poly 'similar = same' theory.

I haven't read or even heard of the other book, so I can't give you an opinion on that.

Maybe try http://ebon-dragon.com/cotd.html; it's not half-bad.

Thank you so much! I'll certainly dive into this site and give it a chance. Thanks for the advice as well, I think I may have actually come into contact with one of these spirits while I was in a half lucid-dreaming state. That's one of the reasons i'm interested to begin with. I do a lot of energy work personally and have come into contact with many spirits or 'beings'. This one just seemed different somehow. But, I'll definitely dive into some deep research and start to write some of my knowledge out.  

P 3 R S E P H O N 3

Bashful Assailant

7,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games