Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
You can call me Master Curtis

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Master Curtis?
  Yes
View Results

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm
So I officially graduated today! I've been in school for the past 18+ years though, and now I'm not really sure what to do with my former paper writing time!
I just earned my M.A.T. in special education, and I'm currently substitute teaching until my real teaching paperwork all goes through, but I've been offered a job at the school where I did my student teaching!
So yay me lol, but yeah I think I'm going to make my students call me "Master Curtis" ... because I can!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:24 am
master of arts in teaching? MAT?

Not something I am familiar with. What does that mean really?

And congrats on finding a place to teach right out of the gates. That can be really hard, so definitly work hard and value the role you have been given.

Congrats again.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 am
:] Congratulations.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Sagebomb

And congrats on finding a place to teach right out of the gates. That can be really hard, so definitly work hard and value the role you have been given.

Congrats again.
It's a program for people who have undergraduate degrees in non-teaching fields so it basically assumes you have all the general content knowledge required and focuses on pedagogy. Honestly I hadn't heard of it until I was a senior in college and it sounded like exactly what I needed.
I got pretty lucky with the job thing though. My cooperating teacher I worked with all semester is retiring and has been apparently singing my praises to all the administration since before she announced her retirement... so I'm taking her spot which is going to be awesome because I'm already fairly familiar with the culture of the school as well as a lot of the students I'll be working with.  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:15 pm
Eviesee645
Sagebomb

Congrats again.
It's a program for people who have undergraduate degrees in non-teaching fields so it basically assumes you have all the general content knowledge required and focuses on pedagogy. Honestly I hadn't heard of it until I was a senior in college and it sounded like exactly what I needed.
I got pretty lucky with the job thing though. My cooperating teacher I worked with all semester is retiring and has been apparently singing my praises to all the administration since before she announced her retirement... so I'm taking her spot which is going to be awesome because I'm already fairly familiar with the culture of the school as well as a lot of the students I'll be working with.

Cool when you get a degree here and then want to teach at say a highschool (like after getting a Bsc for example) you can do a year long course to get a GradDipTchLn which allows you to teach at a highschool.

Its not a masters degree, its just a graduate diploma though.

Is it a two year long program for you? Here masters are usually two years and require a masters thesis/research project.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm
Sagebomb
Eviesee645
Sagebomb

Congrats again.

Cool when you get a degree here and then want to teach at say a highschool (like after getting a Bsc for example) you can do a year long course to get a GradDipTchLn which allows you to teach at a highschool.

Its not a masters degree, its just a graduate diploma though.

Is it a two year long program for you? Here masters are usually two years and require a masters thesis/research project.
it was a year and half program but that included two very full summer sessions. I didn't have to do a thesis (that's required for the MEd program though) but I did have to do research as well as various field experiences  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:00 pm
Eviesee645
it was a year and half program but that included two very full summer sessions. I didn't have to do a thesis (that's required for the MEd program though) but I did have to do research as well as various field experiences

Did you do a personal research project (where you picked the topic/data collecting methods/analysis style etc) or was it a assigned research project?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 pm
Sagebomb
Eviesee645

Did you do a personal research project (where you picked the topic/data collecting methods/analysis style etc) or was it a assigned research project?
It was an assigned project, though we had to do different types of analysis on it throughout the course of the entire programe  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:35 pm
Eviesee645
It was an assigned project, though we had to do different types of analysis on it throughout the course of the entire programe

Interesting, So its not really a masters in any sense I would think of it as a masters program. Sounds more like a Honors program to me really.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:02 am
Sagebomb
Eviesee645

Interesting, So its not really a masters in any sense I would think of it as a masters program. Sounds more like a Honors program to me really.
I mean it's definitely a different program from most masters programs, but I still get a masters degree out of it as well as masters level pay now that I'm starting in the school system haha and that's what really counts
Edit: Actually did a little poking around, and there are plenty of other course based (rather than research based) masters programs in the states, so I guess it must just be something that varies by country  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 pm
Eviesee645
I mean it's definitely a different program from most masters programs, but I still get a masters degree out of it as well as masters level pay now that I'm starting in the school system haha and that's what really counts
Edit: Actually did a little poking around, and there are plenty of other course based (rather than research based) masters programs in the states, so I guess it must just be something that varies by country

Thats what counts as long as it helps you career wise. XD yeah I guess America is known for having lower standards in general XD ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 pm
Sagebomb
Eviesee645

Thats what counts as long as it helps you career wise. XD yeah I guess America is known for having lower standards in general XD ninja
haha yeahhhhh I wish I had some witty comeback to that but you're pretty much right emo  

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 pm
Eviesee645
haha yeahhhhh I wish I had some witty comeback to that but you're pretty much right emo

I have spent a couple years in the states, I believe in the states in many ways, but I think you would have to be blind to say that America excels in areas like education, world politics, health, social matters and such. But...it is what it is.  
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games