Sick Betta

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:47 pm
*ssiiiggghhh* ok, for those of you not currently aware of my ongoings.

Left Wednesday Nov 13th super early. Told my mom to feed the fish once a day about 5 pellets MAX. Plus the usual for the rats. Text/Call if anything

I get home Monday Nov 18th around 9am. She informs me my fish has been sick most of the week. They didn't mention anything to me all week though we messaged each other each night. She said "there's nothing we could have done, so why worry your." I said there's lots that could have been done. At which point my father started screaming at me that I was impossible to please. (Actually, just don't like to me when I ask how's everyone each night, it really is that ******** simple)

So I start with a water test. Everything checks out fine. A very slight amount of nitrates, usually I like it at zero but there was trace amounts which is technically acceptable. But the filter wasn't running when I left and my dad got it running so, maybe the water WAS bad and got better... I doubt it I mean the filter was so dried out there was probably no bacteria left in it.

So once I know the tank water is a non issue, I transfer Zuko to the 5G hospit tank without about 2 inches of water so he can easily surface. Then I go out and buy aquarium salt and bloodworms for the lil guy. Add salt to the tank and offer him a bloodworm. I think he ate it...course he could of grabbed it and spit it out but I thought he ate it. I felt like he was a lil more lively already but I think the stress of the change was all that was now. That was monday morning. He had not eaten in a few days and hasn't eaten since. I also noticed he was pineconed. Not horribly, but notably.

Tuesday morning...24hrs post start of treatment, no change. Still spends all his time lying on the bottom unless to come up for air. 100% water change. Tuesday night I ran out to pick up epsom salt and added that to the tank as directed.

Wednesday morning, still no change. Picked up Betta Revive and started him on that. as well. Again after a 100% water change. Still using both the aquarium salt and epsom.

Thursday night (tonight) He does seem less pinecony. But his color is worse, and he still spends all his time lying on the bottom breathing rather heavily. (his whole body moves he's breathing so hard. So 100% water change and did just the aquarium salt and betta revive.

I have the clove oil. I'm just....sort of wishing that the betta revive maybe needs a bit more time to take effect? I dunno. sad If there's anything I haven't tried, that people are certain is a tried and true effective method. I'd be willing to try. But if it's something that would need several more days of treatment before seeing results I dunno that I can make him suffer that much longer.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:04 am
Poor Zuko. sad Sorry, but I have no idea how to care for Bettas. neutral  

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 am
Sorry, but it looks like you're doing everything I would normally suggest to someone. sad How old is he?

Normally, by the time you get to the visible dropsy symptoms, there isn't much you can do. I did find this article, and it looks like the person in the article did exactly what you're doing. The betta actually did recover. So, perhaps Zuko might see some improvement? sad  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:51 am
Still zero improvement. I mean aside from the reduction in pinecone appearance yesterday. His appetite and activity is still the same. I have to look and see if he's still breathing to know he's still alive. I dunno how long the revive takes to work, if it needs another 24hrs or if I'm just prolonging his suffering now  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Frozen Mist

Playful Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:30 pm
is it possible your dad got something in the filter when he fixed it, that could have poisoned your beta?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 pm
I'm so sorry to hear this. sad Pineconing on Bettas is usually a sign of the end, since dropsy means something is causing fluid to backup in their system. And watching a poor little Betta go downhill without a way to help him/her is the worst.

I've heard mixed things with Betta Revive. I've heard great results, and I've heard people say it's too weak to really help at all except for minor issues. So, I can't really tell you whether to use it or not. Definitely keep up on the salts - the decrease in the dropsy is just as likely - or more so - to be from that than the Revive. Increasing the salination of the water sometimes encourages water transfer back out from the body. I've also heard that ensuring the Betta's water tempoerature is about 80-82 degrees can help as well. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing about everything you can for the poor fella.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:32 pm
UPDATE: My poor lil Zuko did was not getting any better. I got the pineconing way down, but he still wouldn't eat and spent 99% of his time lateral on the bottom. (He never slept lateral) and was barely even getting up for air. So I called it quits...I did the clove oil. It was not a fantastic experience. I mean, I didn't want to stress him by moving him AGAIN he was in a hospit tank so I tried to add the clove oil to the but, I think it would have been better to make the mix and then add him cause as I added the mix to the tank it started to seperate again and then I was freaking out about it and, he swam around a bit. Not sure if it was the stress of there being a current of water or if the clove was irritating. But then it went pretty fast. He had no gill movement for like 3 whole minutes and then he got up and zoomed around and then passed out again. So I left him in it for a good 15-20mins.

It was really sad, mostly cause I feel like I failed him. He got sick when I was away and if I'd been there or if my idiot parents had told me what was happening and I'd treated him sooner maybe he'd have pulled through or at the verry least he wouldn't have suffered as long as he did. But at least he's not suffering any more. I dunno how much longer he would have gone on suffering if I didn't end it;  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 pm
So sad. sad  

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out