Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
Well, ******** that noise.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you give to a sad panda?
  Bamboo.
  Beer.
  Babes.
  Burgers?
View Results

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:29 pm
So I got let go from my job.

I know what you're thinking: "Wait, that school job you've only been at for two weeks? Who did you possibly piss off to make that happen?"

That's the worst part, actually - I did nothing wrong. Hell, I even was told by one of my supervisors the day I was let go that I was "doing great." And when I got the call from the woman who hired me (they didn't even invite me into a room to tell me!), I was told I simply "wasn't a good fit" and they couldn't tell me anything else.

This is a personnel issue. And it is more than adequate bullshit.

A lot of my family and friends have supported me, agreeing that the district I was working at must be full of miserable people who don't know how to work professionally. While I did make some money at this job, they pretty much wasted two weeks of my life because of some internal horseshit that I'll never be able to fathom. I was doing well at the new job, getting along with staff, and getting to know the students. And because something or someone put a bee up their a**, the people who hired me figured they could just boot me for no reason because I was on probation.

I have cried, screamed, punched things, and flat-out been depressed because of this. And while I'm job-hunting, I'm really trying hard to feel better and move on. It's just difficult as Hell.

So, I ask you, BK:

- Was there ever a time you got let go from a job? If so, what was the reason (bullshit or no)? How did you cope?
- What advice can you give a poor now unemployed Reeves so she can stop feeling like a sad panda? Got any ideas for what I can do in my new spare time? Any job ideas based on what you know of me?
- If you could say anything or do anything to a former boss, what would it be and why? Don't be afraid to get evil - we've got pseudonyms. They'll never know. twisted  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:31 pm
Oh man, I am the queen of being let go. Usually it's because a contract has ended, but usually it's because management doesn't like me and I was there in a temp job so they didn't need to have a reason to get rid of me. Things to keep in mind:

-Short placement? (or two week job?) no problem. Less time wasted. Get back out there and look for something with less bullshit.

-You don't actually want to work for dicks that would do this to you anyway. Just sayin'.

-You will naturally want to have the last word, go back, argue, and have them see the error of their ways. This will never happen. Just move along, hun.

-Look at what you did and didn't like about the entire environment. With every place that I've either walked out of or gotten the boot from, I've still learned something. Fired because I didn't file enough every day? I should work somewhere that lets me have control over records management. (their records system was utter s**t, and every time I tried to make something better I got brushed off.) Hate being glued to a front desk? Reception is probably not something I should be aiming for then. Happiest making spreadsheets? Look at data analysis instead. Things like that.

-On a related note, were there problems that you saw come up again and again? Do you think you could create something that could be sold to solve this problem? Some of the best quality apps and services came about because some people got together and, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel just thought "Man, [insert current thing that I do] sucks. I'm going to make one that isn't s**t."

-Believe you will have something better, because you will. Seriously, two weeks isn't even enough time to really build yourself up onto your job with. Something else will come along, and it will last, and it will be something you are proud to call yourself. Law of averages, my friend.

This is my "I just got fired" song until my bling business actually gets going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_xCLngEOSY

'Cause with no 9-5, it's a brand new day....  

Violaceous Vertigo

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm
Violaceous Vertigo

-Short placement? (or two week job?) no problem. Less time wasted. Get back out there and look for something with less bullshit.

That's the problem - it wasn't a short placement or two week job. That's just how long I worked until they magically decided I wasn't good there. Technically, I wanted to work there for at least a year and get to know the kids. That didn't happen.

Oh, and don't worry, I wasn't planning on arguing with them. When I got the first call, I demanded to know if there was anything I did wrong or needed to work on. They refused to tell me anything, so I gave up. It's not worth my time, and no one's more aware of that than I am. wink

But yeah, in the meantime, I'm writing and job hunting. I have to keep myself busy somehow!  
The Barely-Knowns

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games