Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Marimo Moss Balls with African Dwarf Frogs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:40 pm
I know a lot of fish kind of nibble on them, but I wasn't sure if the frogs could really hurt them or not.
Currently I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 neon tetras, 2 african dwarf frogs, and a crown tail betta.
I don't feel like the tank would be too crowded with it, since we don't plan on adding any more fish.. and not really sure if it counts as a fish! I would be great to have in the tank though since they do clean algae!

Tank isn't in direct light, has a lamp, and in the living room with pretty low light.
And the tank is around 27-28 degrees Celsius!
It's set to 24 degrees Celsius! It's just pretty warm right now so the temperature is high. D:

I just want to make sure it will actually LIVE. XD

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 pm
Nah, I wouldn't say it counts as a fish, since plants and algae don't. They're also pretty hardy from what I've heard, which is great because I've gotten good feedback on how they are at algae control.

One thing you want to consider is that they ARE a type of algae themselves (which is what makes them great at sucking up those nutrients), but I've heard of a couple claims where, after adding it to a tank, people have seen it spread to their driftwood. However, I have only heard of a few times where this happened and not a lot of solid info on that, so I can't say whether that's true or likely to happen.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm
I've read that you can kind of spread them out over a piece of wood and they will grow around it.. Don't know if that's the same type of algae or not.

No wood in the tank though, and no other living plants since it's not in an area with sunlight.

I'll be picking one up shortly! Didn't realize you have to quarantine them for a week or two, so that's good, can do a nice clean of the tank a few days before I add it. smile

Thanks! heart

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am
Ooh neat. Sadly, I don't know about those, but they look really neat.

You can have live plants in a tank that isn't in sun light. Mine isn't and the plants are doing really well. The flourescent light seems to be giving them the light they need. biggrin And my Betta and African Dwarf frogs love swimming and hiding among them too! biggrin They help to keep nitrates and algae down too. They are also really easy to take care of. smile Might be worth trying as well. ^^  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff