Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
Wait, don't you know me at all?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oh, look, a poll!
  Clicky clicky.
View Results

Meacorme
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:42 pm
Been a while since I posted a topic. Here's a recent story for y'all.

I recently emailed a former professor of mine who I had worked with for all four years of college. For those four years (plus the first year after I graduated), he was the most supportive teacher of my acting career. He encouraged me through acting and show biz classes, gave me tips on what I should be doing, complimented me, challenged me, and even told me I was like a "young Madeline Kahn" (one of the biggest compliments I'd ever received). In as recently as FEBRUARY, I went to dinner with him and we talked about acting and theatre.

So I figured he was an ideal choice to ask if I should consider going to grad school for an MFA in Acting, since I feel a bit stuck.

...He told me that I should perhaps get an MFA in Arts Administration.

...WAIT, WHAT. It's like he doesn't know me at all! It's like he doesn't remember how ardently I love acting. It's like he doesn't remember all the work we put into it. It's like he doesn't realize how much I wither when I'm backstage or behind the scenes and how I thrive when I am performing onstage.

I know he had the best of intentions, but I am so confused and a bit hurt. It scares me. Why does he think I shouldn't keep going for acting? That's the burning, awful question.

YES, THERE IS A DISCUSSION.

Has anyone you really trusted you surprised in some way, good or bad?
What is the best advice you have ever received career wise?
Worst advice?
Would you consider making a big career change at this point?
How would you react in a situation similar to this?
What is your opinion on grad school?

READY SET GO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 pm
You obviously know my feelings on the matter already, sis, but just for the sake of abridging it for the others:

b***h don't know what he's spewing. You keep acting. Capiche?  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Theodra

Amorous Bloodsucker

12,540 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:59 pm
I feel like you should do what you love,
not what someone else wants you to do.

Not every bit of advice is worth taking.

I think that if you love acting then you
should get your MFA. It definitely can't
hurt to have another degree!

Also, when you love something you're
more likely to, you know, give a ******** it. I didn't become an accountant
because I hate math and boring desk
jobs. It might pay well, but I would never
do something I dislike or go to school
to learn more about it.

I want my MFA toooo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 pm
Do you want to do what you will love, or do you want to do what will be successful?

(The two might not be separate things, but not everyone who gives you advice will necessarily think so, that's all.)  

Violaceous Vertigo

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 pm
Violaceous Vertigo
Do you want to do what you will love, or do you want to do what will be successful?

(The two might not be separate things, but not everyone who gives you advice will necessarily think so, that's all.)

This is actually a really amazing question. Who knows what the guy's inner motives were. Because you're out of college, Mea, he may be trying to act as a more practical advisor and giving you tips which would help you be comfortable rather than spur on your passion. If anything, he may think this is best for you in the long run for financial stuff and a comfort zone when really, that's not the point of acting.

I'd say I were disappointed about that, but given what you've told me about him...I'm actually not surprised.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:44 pm
Reeves
Violaceous Vertigo

This is actually a really amazing question. Who knows what the guy's inner motives were. Because you're out of college, Mea, he may be trying to act as a more practical advisor and giving you tips which would help you be comfortable rather than spur on your passion. If anything, he may think this is best for you in the long run for financial stuff and a comfort zone when really, that's not the point of acting.

I'd say I were disappointed about that, but given what you've told me about him...I'm actually not surprised.

I'm the kind of person who values passion and happiness over success and financial security, period. Of course I would love to be greatly successful at acting and even financially supported by it...but then again, it also depends on your definition of successful. To me, success is being happy with what I do. And acting makes me unbelievably happy.

There will always be a part of me that wants BIG success...an acting career, being on Broadway, being on a hit TV show, winning awards...and I've been aware from a young age that this has a very small chance of being in the cards. But I'm going to work for it, and if I don't get it, at least I can say I tried and then continue to act in whatever plays, musicals, etc that I can get into.

So Vio, it's a great question you bring up, but at the same time, I hope he doesn't think I have no chance at being successful at acting...if he does, it does hurt, whether I believe him or not. I have to move past it, I know, but the sting will be there for a little bit.

And I refuse to stay in a comfort zone. (One of the MANY reasons why I want to be an actor).

Meacorme
Vice Captain

NogginDew

Business Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Meacorme
But I'm going to work for it, and if I don't get it, at least I can say I tried and then continue to act in whatever plays, musicals, etc that I can get into.... And I refuse to stay in a comfort zone. (One of the MANY reasons why I want to be an actor).

This. ********, this. This is what life is all about. The best thing you can say about your life is,"I did what I could." It doesn't matter how much money you make, how "successful" your family thinks you are, who you're with or even how you're paying your bills; as long as you're doing what you think is best for you and making people happy while you're doing it, there's no other point to life. Rock on, Mea. Rock on. biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:28 pm
NogginDew
Meacorme
But I'm going to work for it, and if I don't get it, at least I can say I tried and then continue to act in whatever plays, musicals, etc that I can get into.... And I refuse to stay in a comfort zone. (One of the MANY reasons why I want to be an actor).

This. ********, this. This is what life is all about. The best thing you can say about your life is,"I did what I could." It doesn't matter how much money you make, how "successful" your family thinks you are, who you're with or even how you're paying your bills; as long as you're doing what you think is best for you and making people happy while you're doing it, there's no other point to life. Rock on, Mea. Rock on. biggrin

And this response alone is the embodiment of why Noggin is awesome.  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

NogginDew

Business Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 am
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme

I do what I can. I love you guys. wink heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm
NogginDew
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme

heart heart heart  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Meacorme
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm
Reeves
NogginDew
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme

heart heart heart

Dear Noggin,

How you be so awesome?

Lurve, Mea

<333333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm
Meacorme
Reeves
NogginDew
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme

heart heart heart

Dear Noggin,

How you be so awesome?

Lurve, Mea

<333333

The question is- how do you be so awesome? biggrin  

NogginDew

Business Werewolf

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 pm
NogginDew
Meacorme
Reeves
NogginDew
Reeves

heart heart heart

Dear Noggin,

How you be so awesome?

Lurve, Mea

<333333

It's a scientific process that we can't reveal to anyone. ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 pm
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme
Reeves
NogginDew
Reeves

heart heart heart

Dear Noggin,

How you be so awesome?

Lurve, Mea

<333333

Since you cannot know the scientific process, the only other way to learn the secret is to go on the Roddie pilgrimage.

It involves questing for a holy shrine of awesome, rescuing a captured unicorn princess, and buying wine and chocolate.

Oh, and being a drama queen (literally and figuratively).

Meacorme
Vice Captain

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 pm
Meacorme
Reeves
NogginDew
Meacorme
Reeves

heart heart heart

Dear Noggin,

How you be so awesome?

Lurve, Mea

<333333

Since you cannot know the scientific process, the only other way to learn the secret is to go on the Roddie pilgrimage.

It involves questing for a holy shrine of awesome, rescuing a captured unicorn princess, and buying wine and chocolate.

Oh, and being a drama queen (literally and figuratively).

Don't forget the frequent storytelling nights. Complete with s'mores.  
The Barely-Knowns

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games