Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:08 pm
So my slightly more rotund comet goldfish Fluffy seemed to be having trouble staying upright. I moved him to a bowl because I always think the current from the filter is too strong for him.

Moved him there and he's practically sideways x_X Assuming swim bladder disease because he's pretty much healthy in every other way (eats, alert, will swim the hell away if I put my hand in the tank). The other goldfish, Mister Fishy Pants (common goldfish) seems to be doing fine. Nothing out of the norm for him.

So I don't have any green peas but I did have a sweet pea sweatdrop Not sure if it will work the same, any thoughts?

I haven't been able to get the water checked lately but the last time I did the only problem is the ammonia was a bit high. Used those ammonia tablets and didn't get it checked again v_v it's hard to know how much to feed them but I must be over feeding even in my little pinch. And my tank is so small (10gallon, haven't had money to upgrade to a 30) when I use the gravel vacuum it takes almost all the water out so I can't really get the waste up.

Should I switch to an under gravel one?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:51 pm
Change to an undergravel filter from a power filter? I wouldn't bother. It's not going to make the difference that changing the water more often will do.

If the current seems too strong, look up some DIY filter baffles. They work wonders with bettas, they can work for other fish, too. 3nodding

How often do you do water changes?
In that small a tank, it needs to be often (try 2-3 times a week, for starters), and in large quantities. 50-75% is a number I've heard consistently from a few goldfish keeping tips.
Buoyancy issues can almost always be attributed to water quality. In your situation, the best way to keep the ammonia down (should always be at 0, ideally) is large frequent water changes. No amount of chemical designed or claimed to neutralize ammonia will change that.

I hope you can get upgraded to a larger tank soon.  

Eizoryu

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:17 pm
I just got the water checked and everything is ideal (been having problems with ammonia, glad to see it's done).

The tank has been set up about 4 months now so it's definitely established. Not quite sure why Fluffy got all sideways but after eating that one sweet pea, he seems a little better. When I first got Fluffy it was to keep Mister Fishy company but my husband didn't know better and got a comet. The tail proved too much to resist and Mister Fishy would nibble and chase him.

The two seemed to have calmed and Fluffy has a very pretty tail. So I don't think it's any aggression problems.

I wasn't thinking of changing my power filter but rather adding the under gravel in hopes of helping with the ammonia problem but seeming there isn't one I don't want to waste my money.

I really want a bigger tank crying I think I am going to start looking on craigslist and places like that for a bigger one. 10gal is not cutting it and while I don't plan to get any more fish to put with Fluffy and Mister Fishy, I do want to add more decorations and plants! I've always loved the idea of lots of plants in a fish tank for them to swim between :3 Oh, I change the water about once a week, usually around 30% depending on what the water tests as. It actually hadn't had a real change in two weeks because honestly, it was the last thing on my mind with all the drama going on. So I was pretty surprised to see the test come back so well. I had been keeping an eye on the fish (the tank is near my bed) and watching for strange behavior but I just didn't have the energy to do a water change.

Aside from maybe some obstruction I wonder if my 2 year old may have accidently hurt Fluffy. He has a habit of sticking his hands in there, or he did until I restricted his access. He once put paper in the tank and it shredded into tiny little fragments ~.~ I had to change a lot of the water so it didn't get sucked into their gills.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games