Welcome to Gaia! ::

Oh My Gold! Polls, Contests, Give-a-ways & More!

Back to Guilds

This Guild consists of Polls, Contests, Events, Giveeaways and much more! 

Tags: Conversation, Polls, SonZack, Contests, Friends 

Reply Oh My Gold! Main Forum
My friend got fired for being pregnant

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SUCH
  BULLSHIT
View Results

La Bijou

Swashbuckling Wench

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:10 pm
Cuz she was having morning sickness at work and was 1 MINUTE late clocking in she got fired.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm
That's ridiculous! scream I've heard of some jobs that will just fire you for being pregnant instead of giving you any type of maternity leave. And during a job interview, they'll ask you if you plan on becoming a parent.

Madame Morocco

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am
bullshit.
ninja
i would murder someone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am
Phaea
That's ridiculous! scream I've heard of some jobs that will just fire you for being pregnant instead of giving you any type of maternity leave. And during a job interview, they'll ask you if you plan on becoming a parent.

That is downright disrespectful, wrong, and NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS! This applies to the opening post as well. If the person had a history of lateness and excuses, maybe it would be understandable. But if it's truly that the boss has no understanding, that guy needs to be thrown out.

Seriously, EVERYBODY was raised by someone. EVERYBODY had a pregnant mother at some point, and if she bothered to give birth to you, you're just a slap in HER face for being so hateful toward people who would endeavor to give and nuture a new life JUST LIKE YOU ONCE WERE.

Okay, I'm sorry, I seem to be ranting more than the OP. >.>; But it's almost a personal insult to me when people treat mothers that way, because I DO plan to be a mother, I DO plan to become pregnant with my own children, and I DO plan to put family ahead of everything else, even work, in my life. That's the way it goes, that's how people get through this life and learn how to take care of themselves and develop good work ethics. Yes, part of "good work ethics" includes knowing where to draw the line at work and not drop to your knees to worship your boss.  

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

Madame Morocco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm
TS Sailor Cronus
Phaea

That is downright disrespectful, wrong, and NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS! This applies to the opening post as well. If the person had a history of lateness and excuses, maybe it would be understandable. But if it's truly that the boss has no understanding, that guy needs to be thrown out.

Seriously, EVERYBODY was raised by someone. EVERYBODY had a pregnant mother at some point, and if she bothered to give birth to you, you're just a slap in HER face for being so hateful toward people who would endeavor to give and nuture a new life JUST LIKE YOU ONCE WERE.

Okay, I'm sorry, I seem to be ranting more than the OP. >.>; But it's almost a personal insult to me when people treat mothers that way, because I DO plan to be a mother, I DO plan to become pregnant with my own children, and I DO plan to put family ahead of everything else, even work, in my life. That's the way it goes, that's how people get through this life and learn how to take care of themselves and develop good work ethics. Yes, part of "good work ethics" includes knowing where to draw the line at work and not drop to your knees to worship your boss.

Right on emotion_brofist ! I just finished taking a sociology class, and we had to watch a video about this type of thing. Some women in the video (I think it might have been from Timeline(?) or Sixty Seconds)even agreed with a bosses decision on firing a pregnant woman!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm
[quote="Phaea]
Right on emotion_brofist ! I just finished taking a sociology class, and we had to watch a video about this type of thing. Some women in the video (I think it might have been from Timeline(?) or Sixty Seconds)even agreed with a bosses decision on firing a pregnant woman!

I would like to see this video. 0.o  

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

KatieInTheBox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:50 am
Then she possibly has grounds for a law suit. You have five minutes past the moment your due at work to punch in with no recourse because everyone clock is different. If she was in at 8:01 and fired then she can do something. If it was 8:06 then there is nothing she can do. Also if she can prove that the store has a history of firing women who are pregnant that too is illegal. If she had morning sickness and it is diagnosed by a doctor then she can work because she is not infectious, though her productivity will be down. I live in a fire at will state but we do have some rights as workers. Best know them and use them.

Phea: As to interviewers asking those questions, they are inappropriate and you can decline to comment on the grounds you don't see the relevance of the question. As well NEVER let anyone walk you to your car or look in your pursue if you have a kid. I've see interviewers walk people to their cars just to see if they have a baby seat or ask for something to get a peek into a pursue to see if something of a child's is in there. People don't want to hire people with children because children do (especially for women) hinder productivity, increase sick days and early leaves and distract their parents at work, but I agree that just because someone has or is going to have a child doesn't mean you should fire them. In fact if the employee has any since they'll work all the harder to provide a monetary cushion for when they need maternity leave.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm
That is stupid evil I would get someone to slap the sh*t out of that person emotion_yatta  

coffeeateme

2,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

xx-Utterly Disturbed - XP

7,700 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:58 am
What an a** thats ridicoulous she was pregnant for crying out loud and she was having sickness! cut her some slack! if i was her i would have told the person to back the f*** off i'm pregnant and sick leave me the f*** alone.
oh yeah emotion_brofist  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:37 am
Well, if she was fired for that reason, more than likely they were just looking for reasons to fire her.  

OmgABee

Friend

nyandattebayo

Dramatic Lunatic

15,300 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Team Rina 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:48 am
I like how we're all chicks in here.
Is her boss male or female? I think it was probably assumed it was male.
Regardless, it's blatantly wrong. Morning sickness is not something you can generally control (not that I have experience), and I'm guessing since your friend was at work, she was not pregnant enough to stop work. Which means that she would have to quit looking for work because of the pregnancy, or find something to earn money for the baby, right? Since I can't make an assumption on whether she's married, etc.
It does sound like they may have been looking for excuses to fire her, or maybe she works in a male-majority workplace, and they didn't want a hormonal pregnant woman cluttering everything up. In any case, it's pretty disgusting, and I hope your friend finds work/has a good pregnancy.  
Oh My Gold! Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games