Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:14 am
I now hate Friday the 13th.

I mean, I know it's for the best because he looks miserable and it would be cruel to keep him for our own selfish reasons, but it never gets easy. I went through this with my first dog and now I have to go through this again. I wish he died in his sleep rather than us having to go through this. I feel selfish for saying that.

Worst of all the other dog absolutely loves him so it's going to break my heart when he starts howling for him. Those two are inseparable. It's sad, though, the dog realizes that the other dog is poorly because he licks his face as if to say ''Come on! You need to be better!''

The vet has made the decision because he has given him the highest dose of medicine and it's not working. The vet is such a lovely vet and I thank him a lot for trying to get our dog better. He did his best.

Today is certainly going to be a rough day but even so I have to try and be brave for the other dog's sake.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:49 am
I'm sorry to hear that... He will no longer be suffering at least... May he rest in peace... I know how hard it is to make that decision... My family had to do it once...  

CrissAngelLover12345

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 am
CrissAngelLover12345
I'm sorry to hear that... He will no longer be suffering at least... May he rest in peace... I know how hard it is to make that decision... My family had to do it once...

I'm not going to the vets because I went to the vets last time when they took my childhood dog away and the look in the dog's eyes made me feel horrible. I've been traumatized ever since. I wish I didn't go. It's affected me greatly. I should have stayed at home.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 am
K i m z y
CrissAngelLover12345

I'm not going to the vets because I went to the vets last time when they took my childhood dog away and the look in the dog's eyes made me feel horrible. I've been traumatized ever since. I wish I didn't go. It's affected me greatly. I should have stayed at home.

That's understandable. It doesn't make you a bad person. Watching it get done isn't easy...  

CrissAngelLover12345

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:03 am
CrissAngelLover12345
K i m z y
CrissAngelLover12345

That's understandable. It doesn't make you a bad person. Watching it get done isn't easy...

I'm not brave enough for it, so I'll stay at home and look after the other dog.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 am
K i m z y
CrissAngelLover12345
K i m z y
CrissAngelLover12345

I'm not brave enough for it, so I'll stay at home and look after the other dog.

Not going doesn't necessarily mean that you are not brave. Not everyone has the strength to go and some people opt to have the vet put them to sleep in the back where they won't have to watch it happen. When we had to get one of our cats put to sleep, the vet gave us the option to do it in the back if we felt it would be too hard to watch. He still knows you love him even if you aren't there. The other dog needs someone to give him support since this will also be hard on him too and I'm sure he'll appreciate that you'll be staying home with him.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:25 pm
So sorry, something to consider...bringing your dog's companion with you. I had a euthanasia not too long ago, it was a sad but beautiful thing, this old lab came in for tests and by the end of the day it was decided it was best to euthanize. His brother, a slighlty younger lab was there with him all day. We euthanized him with both his owners and his brother in the room. The husband lay on teh floor with his dog, stroking him, the wife was in the corner watching and as the vet administered the euthanol, his brother leaned over and gave him a kiss. Now it could also be stressful for a dog to witness another dog's death, but in this specific case I think it made him realize why his brother wasn't coming home with him. So this way he won't be waiting or looking for him.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:30 am
I've had three pets in my life that we've had to have put to sleep. The first time was when I was a kid, so I didn't see what went on behind the closed doors. I had I stayed in the waiting room with my brother while my mom was with our dog and the vet. The 2nd time was with my cat that I had for the first 10 years of her life and I gave her to my brother when I had to move. So years later, when he had to take her in to the vet, I went with him and we were both with our cat as she was put down. The last time was with my dog who had congestive heart failure. With her on the table, I held her in my arms right after the shot was administered and I consoled her as she slipped away.

Yes, to be there when they're put down is something very hard to endure, especially when it comes down to watching the life go out of them. I just feel that it's the right thing to do though. To be there for them was the best thing I could do for them, and for myself. To let them know that I love them, and letting them know what a good pet they were. I am sure that was a huge comfort to them as they crossed over.

I have 2 more [adopted] cats now, one of whom is a senior at around 11 years old, and the other is about 5 or 6 years old. I know there may come a time where I'll need to make another decision about putting them down at some point. But if at all possible, I want to be there for them when it's their time to go.

Kimzy, I am so sorry to hear about your dog and the bad experience you went through with your first dog. My guess is that maybe you didn't understand what would happen once the shot was administered. At any rate, you now know what happens, so you do what you feel is best for you. I'm sure your other dog that's left behind will be grateful for your company, and you for the dog's company as well. Especially when it comes down to missing the one that's not there anymore.

Also, Friday the 13th can occur several times a year and can be considered an unlucky day for a lot of people. Just for the record, January 13th does fall on other days of the week in other calendar years, so I hope that helps. 3nodding  

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces