Weighing a cat?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Malted Shark

IRL Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am
Hello, I was wondering what an accurate way be to weigh a cat? One of mine recently lost a lot of weight, but she appears to be slowly gaining it back now that she's on medicine to take care of what the vet believed to be the problem.

However, I know that just picking a cat up isn't the most accurate. Any suggestions?

P.S.: It was thought to be arthritis getting painful enough to where she didn't want to bother to go get food. She's 11 years old and the weather has definitely taken a turn for bad, cold weather. It's even making me hurt. @___@ I also know just taking her to the vet would be the best option, but I'd rather see at home if she's gaining weight before bothering the vet to see and that way, I might be able to just call and then go from there with the vet to see if the current plan needs changed or if it should keep going.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 am
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Do you have a scale? You can try the classic weigh yourself and then weigh yourself with the cat and calculate the difference.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Malted Shark

IRL Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 am
I do have one, but it's pretty inaccurate for even weighing people(it's pretty old) I did try to weigh her on a kitchen scale. I pretty much put a box on the scale(since when I tried without the box, she didn't like it well, and kept moving too much for a good reading) and then zero'd the box, then put her in the box. She came out as 9lbs on that. So at least according to that, she isn't losing any more weight. Which is a definite good thing. But she isn't gaining the weight she lost....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 pm
it doesn't matter if it weighs you right, all that matters is the difference in the weight, so long as it doesn't go like you weight 110, and then pick up the cat and it says 140, if it said 115 it would be believable.  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Malted Shark

IRL Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
it doesn't matter if it weighs you right, all that matters is the difference in the weight, so long as it doesn't go like you weight 110, and then pick up the cat and it says 140, if it said 115 it would be believable.

I tried and it kept ranging her weight between around 7-12lbs. Which is kind of a big range....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:51 pm
Sayania
Cowgirl-with-heart

I tried and it kept ranging her weight between around 7-12lbs. Which is kind of a big range....

The centre of that range, though, is about 9.5, which is similar to what the kitchen scale said (which'll be about as accurate as you can get at home).
I typically just try 2-5 times and go with the average or middle of the range when using a human scale for weighing stuff. It's definitely tricky, because the slightest change in how you stand (apply pressure to the scale) can make quite a difference with the amount given.

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm
An accurate person scale, a babybscale. Or take your cat to the vet to be weighed, it shouldnt cost anything if you just want to use the scale.

Is the cat hyperthyroidism? Any side effects to the drugs? Don't let the weight come back too quickly or too much  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:13 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
An accurate person scale, a babybscale. Or take your cat to the vet to be weighed, it shouldnt cost anything if you just want to use the scale.

Is the cat hyperthyroidism? Any side effects to the drugs? Don't let the weight come back too quickly or too much

Right. The vet is just thinking her arthritis just got really bad making it too painful for her to make it to the food bowl too often. So the vet put her on a steroid for pain. So far I haven't seen any side-effects. The vet also put her on a supplement about 5 days later when we took her in due to an eye infection when she saw she was looking a little better and that I should keep calling back with updates.

@ ~ Aki - Fairy ~ : Yeah, I think the biggest problem is both the cat and I are fidgety.  

Malted Shark

IRL Gekko

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces