Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Why/How did you name your pet?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

w o l f - s m e x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:45 pm
Just to lift my mood, how/why did you give your dog his/her's name & what is the meaning behind his/her name? Like did you name him/her after your favorite food, after someone you look up to, your favorite celebrity, or just his/her meaning of the name?
My puppy's name is "Kona" which means 'Lady' in Hawaiian. I named her Kona because she seemed like a little Lady when I got her, & also cause the Hawaiian language interested me very much. I think that it was a good choice.
HEHEHE. I kinda want to hear your stories behind the names of your pets((:  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:22 am
Mammals:
Annabelle (cat)- It's a beautiful name and she's a gorgeous cat and I thought it was fitting since she's really dainty
Piper(Cat)- We thought he was a girl, and my brother thought up Piper.. since he responded to his name we just kept it with Piper <3
Mocho (rabbit, buck)- He had a lot of coffee-coloured spots on his body, and I wanted to name him Mocha after the coffee drink, but it sounded too feminine, so I changed it to Mocho.
Decaf (rabbit, doe)- When we got the twins, they were almost identical.. except that decaf had a thinner stripe and only one "eyebrow" marking.
Latte (Rabbit, doe)- My dad and I had to think of coffee names for the girls to keep the theme going. Neither of us were big coffee drinkers.
Pumpkin (guinea pig)- She was the colour of pumpkin pie

Fish:
Hamm Sammich- I Named him after my friend, whom I call Panini.
Warm-2-Warm- He kept swimming to the heater and back like he could decide if he wanted to be warm or not
Pork Chop- I need a name smile

Francisco- In memory of my betta, Lord Francisco Jalapeno the III
Jalapeno- see above

Prose- My best friend named him after our little saying, Prose before Hoes.  

Azusanga

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:53 pm
Lucy, our Jack Russell, was not given her name by us since we adopted her from another family. Her nicknames, Lucy the Destroyer and Luce the Flatulent... Those have reason behind them. xD Destroyer because she nibbled the green fuzz off three Kong tennis balls and goes through treats like crazy. Flatulent because, let's face it, she can out-gas my Taller half. And he's terrible.

My oldest female budgie, Kori, was named for her coloration. In proper Romaji, her name is Koori, "ice". She's a sky blue/white. Richter, my only boy, his name just came to me and stuck. Aeon was originally named for Aeonaxx, a rare-spawning mob in WoW; she's the youngest and a pseudo-rainbow. I shortened it to just Aeon after confirming her as a hen.

The first of my two bettas, Radeon (red/black HMRT), was named in keeping with a theme from his then-tankmate, a black-faced steel-blue CT named Cisco. After Cisco passed, Radeon's new tankmate Corsair (aqua/red HMRT) was also named to keep with the theme: Computer part/peripheral manufacturers or product lines.
Cisco - Networking industry leader, mascot colors blue/black.
Radeon - ATI's graphics card line, mascot colors red/black.
Corsair - Memory manufacturer, mascot color blue.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:07 pm
Names of my pets:

Bailey - actually, we were trying to get a different dog. We wanted a dog, all black fur but instead we got a puppy with black fur, but had white on her face..from her nose to the top of her forehead. Her name was actually 'Bonney' and we wanted 'Bailey'. So we changed Bonney's name to Bailey. Hey..we still love her and has lived with us for 11 years and is still with us today. Hopefully she'll die peacefully (of Old Age), hoping she will be 15-16

Willy - I don't know why he was named like that, but when we adopted him out of abuse & Neglect (He was FAAAAT!)...that was what we got. He lived with us until he was 10..he died on 05/11/2010 due to bladder cancer.

Baxter - That name was replaced 'Freckles', and he was about to euthanized...we adopted him from a Beagle Rescue at Petsmart.. he looked just like Willy which was what freaked us out the most.....FREAKY! We got him a month after Willy died....

Sparky- A Stray we found in our home. He was a thin Australian Shepard Dog, and he came to me when I said 'Sparky'...So I guessed that was his name.

Cat:

Shadow - I named the stray Shadow, since he was black and had patches of yellow which reminded me of a certain hedgehog. And it was better than Sanoske which is weird. He is now at a better place in the adoption center since we think he had an infection where no matter how much he ate, he could not gain weight...  

ShadowStream-chan

Wealthy Gaian

10,825 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Partygoer 500

Skeksis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:39 am
Roland- When I first met Roland I had just finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower series and it seemed like fate. He was dusty, lean, and had obviously had a bit of a rough time. He thought I was going to kill him and let me know in no uncertain terms that he wasn't going out without a fight. He has a steel core.

Athena- She's as smart as a whip and has a lot of heart. She doesn't mind getting tough when it's needed.

Rushie- Named after one of the central hare characters in Gary Kilworth's Frost Dancers. Rushie (the character) was captured and transported to be used in a hare coursing event. I like the irony.

Marten- Again, from The Dark Tower. Marten is aloof, mysterious, charismatic. Just like his name-sake.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 am

Cat
Peisulia: His name came from my friend, who calls everything and everyone cute Peisulia. It's kind of a play on the Georgian word for kitten, which is piso. I couldn't think of a name and we knew he'd be called Peisulia all the time anyhow, so just went with it.

Dogs
Rockney and Hitomi: The family dogs. Rockney was named by my brother after a character from Sanchome no Tama: Uchi no Tama Shirimasenka?. Hitomi was named after Hitomi from Escaflowne
Navi and Darla: The uni dogs. Navi's name was inspired by Serial Experiments Lain. Darla's name was Darla when we adopted her.

Aquarium Dwellers
Atlas: The mud turtle rescued from a parking lot. My former roommate pulled his name out of thin air.
Hikari I-∞: Every fish ever added to or born in the aquarium to this day. Also pulled out of thin air by my former roommate.

Nion Kokesu

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:57 am
Let's see...
Abby was originally named Cha-Cha by the shelter and it just didn't fit her so took us hours to figure soemthing out. for about 30mins she was rayven, then ebony, and somehow we landed on Abby. No idea why though just popped into my moms head

Bo was named after one of the characters on dukes of hazzard

josie mmm can' remember how we came up with the name...

the new puppy I'm thinking Lyric. I love the name for a blue merle female, but it'll all depend on the actually puppy when I meet him/her. And how I came up with it? I stole the name from a friend after she ended up getting a male and not a female like she planned razz  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:58 pm
My red eared sliders head looks like a pickle, so I named him "PICKLE"
Then when I got my second turtle, the day old eastern box turtle he was just so tiny I called her "Gherkin" (a kind of tiny pickle!)

My Russian tortoise I named "Kilgore Trout" after a character in Kurt Vonnegut's novels.

My Bearded Dragon's full name is "Vladimir Putin' on the Ritz" ... it's a combination of Vladimir Putin the Russian politician and the Puttin' on the Ritz song like from Young Frankenstein. My husband came up with it. He doesn't have any strong feeling about Vladimir Putin the politician, he just thought it was funny. We call the Dragon Vladimir Poopin' a lot. LOL.

My Pyxie frog is named "Francis" after Black Francis from the Pixies. Get it? The Pixies, Pyxie frog? Hahaha. Well I thought it was funny. Charles Thompson (Black Francis/Frank black.. he's gone by different names) didn't think it was so funny. I made friends with him on FB and posted a picture of Francis the frog to his wall, and he removed it! LOL.

I have more pets but those are the one's who's names have stories behind.  

imderanged

ArtemisPhoenix94

7,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am
OK, this may sound really wierd, but I have 4 baby goats that I just named.

Lucky: She was the smallest of the triplets that one of my goats had. (Yes, she had [i[triplets) and she was lucky that the cold front that passed through the night she was born didn't kill her.

Domino: He's black with a bunch of white spots, and his ears are solid white. Hence, Domino.

Stripes: He's light brown with a white stripe around his middle. His nickname, though is Porky because we've been supplementing the kids since this is their mother's first batch and he like the bottle more than the other two! He eats almost 6 full ounces at a time! The other two eat 3 or 4.

Elsie: She's black with white splotches on her sides, a white face, and white ears. She reminded me of a cow, so I named her after one.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am
When I first got my dog, it took me a whole day to name him. I decided on Basil simply because his eyes were the same color of the herb. After a year, though, his eye color changed, but his name's still the same.

Madame Morocco

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff