Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
GUH! I'm going to hate the holidays this year.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guardian Arlen

Steadfast Guardian

17,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:33 pm
I'm so tired of all this drama in my life. A while back I wrote a note on Facebook that had a really blunt opinion of mine about me being gay. It hurt, offended, and embarrassed a lot of my family (heaven forbid an opinion is offensive or hurtful). It wasn't really towards anyone, it was just an opinion in general. That was about three months ago.

Easter is just around the corner, and usually my immediate family would eat at my grandmothers house for Easter. Today, I talked to my grandmother for the first time since December, and while it was civil, I am apparently no longer welcomed or invited into her home even on the holidays. So, this will be my first Easter without being invited to a family gathering, and it will most definitely will not be the last.

To top it all off, my mother has told me that the reason why my sister doesn't spend the night over at our house when she and her husband comes over to visit is because of me. And, it seems like a majority of family on my dad's side is still not talking to me.

I have apologized for hurting their feelings or embarrassing them (not apologizing for having an opinion though), yet they still cling to their hatred for what I had said. It leaves me thinking "What ever happened to their constantly saying 'What Would Jesus Do' with the answer of 'forgive and forget'"

Most people have been telling me to just forget about them, screw family, and what not. But I am unable to just not forget about them, I am unable to just not care about them anymore. I am one of the few that loves my family no matter what, and I feel a somewhat moral obligation to them or at least to my parents of whom, without them, I wouldn't even exist today. Some people say that I am just too nice.

I hope to someday find a man to marry that has a loving and understanding family who will treat me like a part of the family. That way, I will be able to go to a family gathering on holidays. For now, I'll just have to find a way to cope with not having family to be with on the holidays. Not sure how I will do that though, I may just ask my manager if I could work all three shifts on those days.

OTL sorry for the rant. Just had to get it off my chest.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I can understand that it's hard to forget your family members after them being so cruel to you. Instead of just saying to yourself, "Jesus would forgive and forget", tell your family that. Also tell them that Jesus died for our sins. Homosexuality isn't the only "sin". We celebrate Easter because of the fact that we are, in my terms, given a clean bill of health, and accepting God will redeem you of your sins and give you a chance in heaven. At least from what I understand and remember. I am an atheist, and I don't think I've actually attended church ever since I was 9 or so, but it doesn't mean I don't know certain points of scripture. For now, just try and keep yourself occupied on Easter so you won't think of your family. But in the long run, try and remind them of about how families should respect one another, that judgement should not be passed, and about your past relationship, and how what has changed is not you, but them, for not accepting you as who you are. You shouldn't sacrifice your happiness for your family's contempt.

I just hope I said some things here right. As I said, I'm rusty on Christian knowledge.

(Brushes by Obsidian Dawn)

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

etluhcs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:25 pm
so... your family has ostracized you not for being gay, but for having a strong and unpleasant (to them) opinion on it?

i'm very curious what it is that you said, now :0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:45 pm
Guardian Arlen

I have apologized for hurting their feelings or embarrassing them (not apologizing for having an opinion though), yet they still cling to their hatred for what I had said. It leaves me thinking "What ever happened to their constantly saying 'What Would Jesus Do' with the answer of 'forgive and forget'"

Ghandi
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Atrum_Anima

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 pm
hearing stuff like this kinda makes me glad i havent come out to my family yet.

Hopefully your family will come around.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:32 am
Atrum_Anima
Guardian Arlen

Ghandi
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100