Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Nickelodian's "Freedom to Believe or Not"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:33 pm
Okay I was watching TV and I saw this ad for a program on Nickelodian. I think it's a new segment and it's called "Freedom to Believe or Not." In this ad, they explained that kids of different religions (that's there theme tonight I guess) such as Christianity, Islam, and Atheism will discuss how they can all come together or something. I think it's really great how Nick is trying to mold our teens into open-minded accepting young adults. Maybe next they'll even move up to views on LGBT teens and how they should be accepted? I think this is a good sign. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 am
It is a good sign but the chances that they will do something on LGBT teens is slim to none. A lot of people (parents, specially the ones with young children) would start complaining about the programming and it will most likely cost a LOT of viewers to the channel, so I don't think they will do something on LGBT teens any time soon surprised  

Gaara_evil_cookie

Scurvy Raider

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Jolly Roger 50

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm
I saw that ad too! It looks amazing,
i think it's great what they're doing and the message..

But i have to agree with Gaara_evil_cookies,
the day they show LGBT stuff on nickelodeon is the day that pigs fly >.<  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:07 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

@ Gaara_evil_cookie: You're right. We got enough parents complaining about Ren and Stimpy having possible homoerotic tendencies. At least Nickelodeon is still on top today.

(Brushes by Obsidian Dawn)

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am
wiccan_sk8er
I saw that ad too! It looks amazing,
i think it's great what they're doing and the message..

But i have to agree with Gaara_evil_cookies,
the day they show LGBT stuff on nickelodeon is the day that pigs fly >.<[/quote

footballs fly when you launch them and they are made of pigskin, so technically, pigs fly! rofl

but i really wanna see a program where we're more open about the LGBT community

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:28 am
yep(: sounds like a great start!! and if you notice, I'm retty sure they're starting to put some gay characters in the movies on Nick too lol  

DestiexDestruction

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 am
I'm pretty sure that was a trailer for a new episode of nick news. There was a previous episode about bullying and the teens that had taken their lives because of it. And they had a whole segment about LGBT youth getting bullied, and they had a couple LGBT kids in the group with Linda Ellerbee and what not.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:36 am
TorpidoKoi
Okay I was watching TV and I saw this ad for a program on Nickelodian. I think it's a new segment and it's called "Freedom to Believe or Not." In this ad, they explained that kids of different religions (that's there theme tonight I guess) such as Christianity, Islam, and Atheism will discuss how they can all come together or something. I think it's really great how Nick is trying to mold our teens into open-minded accepting young adults. Maybe next they'll even move up to views on LGBT teens and how they should be accepted? I think this is a good sign. ninja

I am atheist and love the fact that they're FINALLY doing something like this for kids. Yaaaaay!
Yes, I sure hope so. ^_^ This country & world could really use some lgbt acceptance.  

kurotsuki22

MotherTheresa8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:53 am
Well, I don't like Nick lately. You say it's starting to give kids more open minds, but to be honest, it's more brainwashing them.

Remember when there were shows of all types of people being different? Yeah! Guess what? Most of them got cancelled! You look at most Nick, Disney, and CN shows now and here's how they all sum up:

People are getting accepted from nowhere into places that don't exist, given special abilities, or made famous by having cliche and too often overused jokes! (Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, House of Anubis, iCarley, Sonny with a Chance, Big Time Rush, Suite Life on Deck, Total Drama) They become famous and are immediately crushed on and liked by just about everyone! (Sonny with a Chance, House of Anubis, Zoey 101) But there are always those who are different and mean! (A black girl and an Asian in Hannah Montana, a gothic girl in Victorious) You soon become hypocrytes saying "People who are different rule!" when you are carbon copies and shun those people! (Victorious, iCarley, Zoey 101, Hannah Montana, Big Time Rush) If you are in a group of people starring, one will always be the favorite! (Big Time Rush, Wizards of Waverly Place) You endore celebrities who feel the same way as you, autotune, and everyone knows already, ignoring other bands of different styles who are naturally much better! And if you are a show who doesn't really, (Ned's Declassified, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101 and Suite Life of Zack and Cody sometimes) A minor character is given a better show then you, you are changed into one of the before mentionede shows, and many of the better characters are thrown into the trash! And remember: showing inappropriate, adult/teen comedy to kids 10 and under is always good! (basically every new show on Cartoon Network)

This is what people are exposing their kids to. Sickening, huh? But the truth is that most of you are right. Because LBGT are often considered "different," they are taboo to show. I loved shows that were telling me it was okay and didn't match the others like Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob, Angry Beavers, Invader Zim, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Fairly Odd Parents, Ned's Declassified, Corneil and Bernie, Codename: Kids Next Door, and such. Now, they are all gone and society is becoming more dumb and stereotype-centric. All we need is people from everywhere who are "different," whether it's LGBT, or some religion, or even if you're not mainstream! But, that's just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 pm
It will be awesome if they did talked about their views for the LGBTI teens.  

Miranda60

4,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:32 pm
MotherTheresa8
Well, I don't like Nick lately. You say it's starting to give kids more open minds, but to be honest, it's more brainwashing them.

Remember when there were shows of all types of people being different? Yeah! Guess what? Most of them got cancelled! You look at most Nick, Disney, and CN shows now and here's how they all sum up:

People are getting accepted from nowhere into places that don't exist, given special abilities, or made famous by having cliche and too often overused jokes! (Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, House of Anubis, iCarley, Sonny with a Chance, Big Time Rush, Suite Life on Deck, Total Drama) They become famous and are immediately crushed on and liked by just about everyone! (Sonny with a Chance, House of Anubis, Zoey 101) But there are always those who are different and mean! (A black girl and an Asian in Hannah Montana, a gothic girl in Victorious) You soon become hypocrytes saying "People who are different rule!" when you are carbon copies and shun those people! (Victorious, iCarley, Zoey 101, Hannah Montana, Big Time Rush) If you are in a group of people starring, one will always be the favorite! (Big Time Rush, Wizards of Waverly Place) You endore celebrities who feel the same way as you, autotune, and everyone knows already, ignoring other bands of different styles who are naturally much better! And if you are a show who doesn't really, (Ned's Declassified, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101 and Suite Life of Zack and Cody sometimes) A minor character is given a better show then you, you are changed into one of the before mentionede shows, and many of the better characters are thrown into the trash! And remember: showing inappropriate, adult/teen comedy to kids 10 and under is always good! (basically every new show on Cartoon Network)

This is what people are exposing their kids to. Sickening, huh? But the truth is that most of you are right. Because LBGT are often considered "different," they are taboo to show. I loved shows that were telling me it was okay and didn't match the others like Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob, Angry Beavers, Invader Zim, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Fairly Odd Parents, Ned's Declassified, Corneil and Bernie, Codename: Kids Next Door, and such. Now, they are all gone and society is becoming more dumb and stereotype-centric. All we need is people from everywhere who are "different," whether it's LGBT, or some religion, or even if you're not mainstream! But, that's just my opinion.

None of that makes sense.
And all those cartoons you mentioned, they still air ALL of them.
Save for corneil and bernie, I've never even heard of that.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:02 pm
TylerAnnihilate
MotherTheresa8

Actually, fora while they didn't. It seemed they just disappeared. Butthey rarely advertise tem. Let me rephrase. Those shows were cancelled and the good slots they had were replaced with the newer, more critical shows. Now I rarely see those shows on spare weekends.  

MotherTheresa8

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:05 pm
MotherTheresa8
TylerAnnihilate
MotherTheresa8

Actually, fora while they didn't. It seemed they just disappeared. Butthey rarely advertise tem. Let me rephrase. Those shows were cancelled and the good slots they had were replaced with the newer, more critical shows. Now I rarely see those shows on spare weekends.

that's just the way TV works. Shows are cancelled in place for newer shows. It's rare that a show has a very long life on TV. And you say that there's "adult humor" in the new cartoon network shows, there's always been adult humor. You mentioned ren and stimpy, incredibly disturbing for children, Remember Loony Tunes and Tom and Jerry, both of those shows were filled with an absurd amount of violence, and Loony Tunes had cross dressing on a regular basis.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:34 pm
TylerAnnihilate
MotherTheresa8
TylerAnnihilate
MotherTheresa8

that's just the way TV works. Shows are cancelled in place for newer shows. It's rare that a show has a very long life on TV. And you say that there's "adult humor" in the new cartoon network shows, there's always been adult humor. You mentioned ren and stimpy, incredibly disturbing for children, Remember Loony Tunes and Tom and Jerry, both of those shows were filled with an absurd amount of violence, and Loony Tunes had cross dressing on a regular basis.

Ren and Stimpy was normal for me. It was on tv and I'd watch it. It was more directed towards teens though, but I understood it somehow. And about cross-dressing. Shakespeare used cross-dressing in many of his plays too! I've seen flaws in many shows, EVEN IN SPONGEBOB!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm trying to get through to the main idea. If it's "Different," then it's banned. If it's "copied," it's kept.  

MotherTheresa8

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:35 pm
I heard of this

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff