Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duellists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

YDoG is an all TCG guild for all duellists. We also cover the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! games, shows, manga and RPG. 

Tags: Yugioh, Tournament, Duel, Trading Card Game, Anime 

Reply Domino City
Top 10 Rules to Making a Card Game Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 am
Avalon avenger
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
doesnt it? these days their are cards made simply to control flow of money through the rarity of those cards therefore they screw the rules with their money. as for motorcycles... screw it you know that sounds fun >.> CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!
Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world, period. As for the rare cards costing a lot of money, his comment didn't say anything about the cards, but the rules of the game. So please list things that would be helpful.
you're very unimaginative aren't you? saying "Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world" is a pretty concrete thing to say for someone trying to do any sort of creative writing. I'd work on the creative part before working on the writing portion.
The fact is, Yugioh 5Ds neglected certain real world aspects to make the anime work. For instance, if you were driving a motorcycle at the speed they were usually going and the wind picked up all of your cards would go flying away.
As a writer I want things to sound realistic, even if its fictional writing.

fiction contains a unlimited venue of creative thought and limiting that to whats possible would make it non-fiction. also how can you says its impossible for the cards to stay at those speeds? its in a distant future setting so technology could have made this possible and considering their obsession with the game in that show and how large that industry grew it would be profitable make it that interesting. its actually very possible with an open and creative mind.
D-wheels are not at all applicable in the real world, no matter how much you want them to be. You know what, why don't you build a fully functioning D-Wheel and post pics or a vid to prove that it works. Go on, we'll wait.

i said they are possible in the future and in that setting in which it would be seen as something of value. i never said that in this reality it was possible and if it was then it would be completely beside my point. all in all my point is that saying its not possible is limiting though and is therefore not creative as is the point of the class and where as it may not have any purpose to his actually paper i went into that simply because it didn't make sense to me that going in to write a paper for a creative writing class that you would limit thinking even when someone throws a little joke out there.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:42 am
Mustard Like Soup
shrab
fiction contains a unlimited venue of creative thought and limiting that to whats possible would make it non-fiction. also how can you says its impossible for the cards to stay at those speeds? its in a distant future setting so technology could have made this possible and considering their obsession with the game in that show and how large that industry grew it would be profitable make it that interesting. its actually very possible with an open and creative mind.
Wow. You, just stop posting here.

The OP was regarding the basic and most important foundations you should follow, for a project, as how to build a collectible card game from scratch. This isn't about Yu-Gi-Oh!, this isn't where you make your stupid jokes, and it isn't about how 5D's can work in actual life. It's about how brotherofAnubis should go about making his own card game and what foundations he should follow.

Now, in his second post, brotherofAnubis clearly replied that he doesn't want jokes in this place. So, what the hell are you doing, if not wasting his time? Shut up and leave, or answer what he's looking for.

hi. try not to be such a tight a**. it wasn't a joke it was me making a point and where it didn't have anything to do with the original post it did have a point and it is an obvious one. how can you write a paper creatively when you limit thought even when someones only help to you is just a joke. also, you didn't answer his question either. i admit i wasted time and space on his topic but you did just the same. I'm sorry but jumping on me over something that shouldn't really matter to you doesn't help anyone either and it certainly isn't very pleasant.  

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Avalon avenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 am
User Image
This is my ruin...
shrab
Avalon avenger
shrab
brotherofAnubus
shrab
you're very unimaginative aren't you? saying "Card Games on Motorcycles will never work in the real world" is a pretty concrete thing to say for someone trying to do any sort of creative writing. I'd work on the creative part before working on the writing portion.
The fact is, Yugioh 5Ds neglected certain real world aspects to make the anime work. For instance, if you were driving a motorcycle at the speed they were usually going and the wind picked up all of your cards would go flying away.
As a writer I want things to sound realistic, even if its fictional writing.

D-wheels are not at all applicable in the real world, no matter how much you want them to be. You know what, why don't you build a fully functioning D-Wheel and post pics or a vid to prove that it works. Go on, we'll wait.

i said they are possible in the future and in that setting in which it would be seen as something of value. i never said that in this reality it was possible and if it was then it would be completely beside my point. all in all my point is that saying its not possible is limiting though and is therefore not creative as is the point of the class and where as it may not have any purpose to his actually paper i went into that simply because it didn't make sense to me that going in to write a paper for a creative writing class that you would limit thinking even when someone throws a little joke out there.
This has nothing to do with a creative writing class, The OP is not making an anime, he's wanting to make a card game. BrotherofAnubis, I must apologize for this, as we seem to have hijacked your thread with nonsense. As to the topic, I don't think I can help you much, but I'm gonna try:

Pheso
1) When creating cards, attempt to make it so that no single card in any expansion is deemed "useless" (looking at you, all fusions before E-Heroes). Balance is the key. Make no combo "the greatest thing ever" (ala Chaos/Yata decks). This also prevents you from needing a banlist.

I wanna touch on this suggestion here, as I both like and dislike it at the same time. True, balance is key, but without a useless/useful division, the game becomes bland. I mean, let's take Yu-Gi-Oh for example, if everything had worked together in Legend of Blues Eyes, would there even be a follow up booster? Maybe so, but it would, but it would have been ignored since everything worked so well together in the first booster.

Even my shadow grows dim...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:02 am
To Pheso & Labyrinthknight7, thank you for the suggestions biggrin

To Avalon Avenger, thank you for the follow up.

And shrab, if you honestly want to talk about anime physics working in a real world sense, start a new topic I don't want it here. stare  

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

shrab

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 am
ok so obviously no one got the point of what i was saying otherwise you would have figured out I'm talking about the creative writing part of what he was saying and that without being in that mind set what you write will not be creative at all and in fact will just be work which is a shame because it was a good idea. and i if you didn't want jokes in this then why would you even respond to the card games on motorcycles thing? why not just ignore that and move on? why not ignore what i am saying if it wasn't relevant? yup that's right because you yourselves(speaking of those who have commented on what I've said) participated in the discussion and also veered off the topic's main point. so I'm not completely to blame for that.

but now i will stop responding this has gotten boring. though before i do.

avalon. it has nothing to do with creative writing huh? read the words i underlined here

brotherofAnubus
I'm thinking of making one just as a side project that may or may not impact my creative writing for a class I'm taking this Quarter. So I thought you guys 'n gals might give me your top ten rules for making a card game.

And Please! Just a list of ten things, or even just a few things. I don't want people coming on and starting arguments, it ruins the fun.

nothing to do with creative writing indeed.

lol yes i made this little and put it in my last post XD but the may or may not impact your creative writing class part. the may or may not in the way you worded the sentence applies to the class not the fact that its a creative writing class. just saying razz and if not for the class then this seems like a waste of time and tempts me to troll the hell out of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:29 am
shrab
avalon. it has nothing to do with creative writing huh? read the words i underlined here

brotherofAnubus
I'm thinking of making one just as a side project that may or may not impact my creative writing for a class I'm taking this Quarter. So I thought you guys 'n gals might give me your top ten rules for making a card game.

And Please! Just a list of ten things, or even just a few things. I don't want people coming on and starting arguments, it ruins the fun.
nothing to do with creative writing indeed.
Observe the bolded words. Time to move on.  

brotherofAnubus

Dangerous Survivor

Junk 1t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm
Usually you want to have one main win condition
(0 life remaining, or gaining all the prizes)

Then move on to special win conditions
(deck out, Exodia, or running out of usible creatures)

Every game has phases that you do specific things in

Though starting with the deck is probably the best way to start
(deck size, limit of how many copies of each card, and what kinds of cards their are)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 pm
It would also be wise to flesh out illegal acts exclusive to this game (ie. yugioh: it is against rules to shuffle your graveyard).

Setting clear rules of things you CANNOT do are just as important as the things you can do.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
Domino City

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers