• Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Academic Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm
So I've decided I wanna eat healthier
but the only thing I can make well is spaghetti
Yummy healthy recipies would be mega appreciated  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 pm
Get a slow cooker, you can find them for $30 I believe.

Cheap, easy, healthy meals.

We throw some stew beef in with some frozen mixed veggies and some chopped up potatoes, some beef broth and water and some lentils for bulk (plus lentils are like, dirt dirt cheap and super healthy) and bam. Feeds both of us for 2 or 3 days depending on how many meals we want of just stew, and only costs about $10.

I'll try to think of some more.  

Bacardia

Flying Mojo
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am
Chili is basically meat with healthy stuff mixed in, worth learning how to make 3nodding

Breakfast is easy: eggs and cereal go good with anything.

Other than that I pretty much fail and just eat bananas and microwaved frozen veggie egg rolls for "healthy" stuff.

My grocery store sells "broccoli slaw" which is just shredded veggies you can dump on a sandwich.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm
Mediteranean chicken: take some boneless skinless chicken (healthy) and cut the halves in half (easier to get flavor in and cook more evenly) and pour some diced tomotoes (don't drain first), artichokes(do drain), capers (if you like them, I do) sliced black and/or green olives over it and cook in oven 325 for hour and a half or until done. I do a lot, so the pan is full so it takes awhile to cook, but if your pan wasn't crammed full it'd cook a bit faster I suppose. serve with rice or whatever. I love this and so does my family. chicken and veggies is healthy!

substitute ground turley for all your ground beef needs, it's a LOT healthier and actually pretty darn tasty, and I was pretty skeptical of this at first, but it is good.

I don't have time to list a lot here, but I hope you find some good stuff you like that's healthier.  

Aoife
Crew

Beloved Worshipper

Isabelle
Captain

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm
Lol @ celery. It'd be better if it didn't just taste like water with strings in it. gonk

I'm not really the epitome of health myself, with popcorn dinners and all...but soup can be pretty easy to do, and I'm sure there's not many calories in that s**t! xd We usually do tomato soup, with garlic, chili peppers, and other spices to jazz it up. My mom had a wicked tomato soup recipe that was like...stew onions, tomatoes, garlic...then uh, blend it, and heat again then serve. I didn't write it down then but it was awesome. I'll try to find that. Mmmm tomato soup. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 am
Well - this may sound silly - but browse through a 'weight watchers' magazine! They have some good recipies.

Something that's fairly easy, and good for you, that *I* love, is:

Tomato & avocado on Toast! biggrin

2 slices brown toast,
1/2 a ripe avocado
3 slices of tomato

cut up 1/2 the avocado into slices, place them on the toast (so you now have 1/4 of an avocado on each slice of toast)
then 1 & 1/2 slices of tomato on each.
Sprinkle some black pepper ontop if you wish.
CONSUME!

User Image
User Image

As for the rest of the tomato & avocado:

I find putting them cut-side-down on a plate, and putting them in the fridge makes them last. (just make sure you take the pit out of the avocado first).

Remember: Tomato Sauce, Pickles, Celery, and cucumbers - are pretty much 'freebies' when it comes to weight watching. biggrin

If you're interested, there are also weight-watchers books you can buy, without joining the club. And I can always send you a photocopy of the slide-rule.
It lets you eat whatever you want; in moderation.
Personally, I haven't had the energy to actually count points in a while. BUT sometimes I'll take the slide-rule out, and check how 'bad' a certain food is, and I keep notes in my head of 'that's lots of points' 'that's not many points'; and generally eat better.

But I ignore their fruit counts. stare A large banana us supposedly 3 points (I think?) and it's a natural and healthy food! so I will eat all the bananas I so wish! scream

Another little note, that you probably already know about, is:

When you feel hungry, go drink a full glass of water, and wait 20 minutes. Then eat.
A) it helps prevent the miscommunication your stomach sometimes sends to your brain. ("I'm hungry!!", when in actuality, it's "I'm THIRSTY!").
B) it helps to fill you up if you are hungry, so you don't eat as much. 3nodding  

Naito_Mitsukai
Crew

Arlyana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:11 pm
Quick dinner that takes only an hour to cook.

Oven roasted potatoes and chicken

* 1/8 cup oil (I use grapeseed)
* 1/2 teaspoon of any spice you want
* 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine oil and spices. Stir in potatoes until evenly coated. Place potatoes in a single layer on a roasting pan or baking sheet.
3. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.

Chicken parts of your choice. Season to taste.

Both of them can be cooked in the oven at the same time and temperature biggrin Add another veggie and you have a complete meal.

I also use my slow cooker a lot. I will post more recipes as I think of them.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm
Ted D Ber
So I've decided I wanna eat healthier
but the only thing I can make well is spaghetti
Yummy healthy recipies would be mega appreciated

Psst!! - look! It tells you when you've bee quoted now! :O  

Naito_Mitsukai
Crew

jupiter4000

Celebrating Sweetheart

5,100 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm
Wow, lots of recipes here. Healthy ones too! Yummy! I wish I knew some recipes to provide but I don't really cook crying .  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 am
A healthier variant of spaghetti is to make the sauce fresh from scratch separately and store it in the fridge. Then you take your pasta, cook it normally, drain it, and then throw it in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Pan fry the noodles and then the sauce goes 12 to 20 times farther. It's healthier, tastier, and it stretches out your supplies.  

Exxos

Aged Bibliophile

Gemstone
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:55 am
Exxos
A healthier variant of spaghetti is to make the sauce fresh from scratch separately and store it in the fridge. Then you take your pasta, cook it normally, drain it, and then throw it in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Pan fry the noodles and then the sauce goes 12 to 20 times farther. It's healthier, tastier, and it stretches out your supplies.

Sounds both easy and om-nomlicious! Must try that for the next time we make spaghetti!  
Poll Jumpers Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games