Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Initiation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lavender x Massacre

Quotable Smoker

7,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm
I just decided to convert to being Wiccan a few months ago. It just seems right for me.

But anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had some tips to give me about the initiation process? It would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm
Lavender Wow Factor
I just decided to convert to being Wiccan a few months ago. It just seems right for me.

But anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had some tips to give me about the initiation process? It would be very helpful.
What goes on in initiation is secret.

What we do know about initiation is that it's sexual in nature so you at least have to be 18. Also you have to be accepted by a coven even before one can be initiated. This process of being accepted often takes 1 year or more, emphasis on more.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm
rmcdra
Lavender Wow Factor

What goes on in initiation is secret.

What we do know about initiation is that it's sexual in nature so you at least have to be 18. Also you have to be accepted by a coven even before one can be initiated. This process of being accepted often takes 1 year or more, emphasis on more.
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
Yup and the only way a coven can accept you is if you are what they deem as a proper person. What deems someone a proper person can go from anywhere from mental stability to psychological stability.
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 am
....to financial, family, emotional stability. ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am
In addition to the good observations of Sanguina Cruenta, xLady Tsukiyox and rmcdra, I feel it is important to note that you are also interviewing the coven itself, Lavender Wow Factor. You need to feel comfortable with them, be happy to work with them. You may find that you explore many different covens from different traditions and lines before you find the right one for you.

I wished to comment on a common theme I noticed the others addressing. I feel the forms of stability being described are expressions of maturity. I have known of people who while in unstable situations were mature enough to handle the instability and that was more important to their coven than the temporary situations they found themselves in. That isn't to say that the observations of others on the matter aren't true, but instead there is no one set list of what makes someone a Proper Person in Wicca.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm
Thank you everyone. <3

I was thinking of going into a coven. I'm also thinking of being solitary, but before weighing in the coven option, I had to know! Thanks so much! It's crystal clear now.

Lavender x Massacre

Quotable Smoker

7,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:27 am
Lavender Wow Factor
Thank you everyone. <3

I was thinking of going into a coven. I'm also thinking of being solitary, but before weighing in the coven option, I had to know! Thanks so much! It's crystal clear now.
Well, you can't really be Wiccan without a coven. If you're talking solitary, then you're more interested in Eclectic Neo-Paganism, which is just as awesome (if not moreso for some people). Wicca requires initiation because there are so many things one cannot learn without being part of a coven, and since Wicca is orthopraxic, you can't be one without knowing the correct practices.

And that's OK. There's nothing wrong with not being Wiccan and instead being an ENP. Most of the people you speak to here are likely ENP as well. Neither faith is better than the other smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 am
oOGarrettOo
Lavender Wow Factor
Thank you everyone. <3

Well, you can't really be Wiccan without a coven. If you're talking solitary, then you're more interested in Eclectic Neo-Paganism, which is just as awesome (if not moreso for some people). Wicca requires initiation because there are so many things one cannot learn without being part of a coven, and since Wicca is orthopraxic, you can't be one without knowing the correct practices.

And that's OK. There's nothing wrong with not being Wiccan and instead being an ENP. Most of the people you speak to here are likely ENP as well. Neither faith is better than the other smile

i must agree here with this statement 3nodding  

surukio

XxsinicalxX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:19 am
Out of curiosity, how can you find a coven in your town? or near....
I have always been interested in Wicca but ended up going as a ENP... of course, i stopped doing this due to the problems that showed up what with my parents being catholics and all sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:50 am
To the girl above me; you should probably make your own thread.

And it's said in my books you can either be a solitary, or a witch in a coven, either way is fine, it's just the difference of practicing alone or in a coven. I didn't know that if you were alone, you couldn't be a Wiccan. : I'm pretty sure you can.  

Lavender x Massacre

Quotable Smoker

7,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Lavender Wow Factor
To the girl above me; you should probably make your own thread.

And it's said in my books you can either be a solitary, or a witch in a coven, either way is fine, it's just the difference of practicing alone or in a coven. I didn't know that if you were alone, you couldn't be a Wiccan. : I'm pretty sure you can.

It is possible to be Wiccan, to be initiated and then leave the coven, there are Wiccans who say that only through coven initiation can one deserve the title of Wiccan. There are other Wiccans who say that they will only use the title spelled differently, and that others can use the popular spelling.

I feel it is important to note that while there was a time when Wiccans claimed to be the only witches, this is largely not the case anymore- and that one does not have to be a Wiccan to be a witch. I have never met any Wiccan who has said that no other religion couldn't use the word witch, I have only heard stories of them from a Queen I know.

The rules of this guild have guidelines for who calls themselves what, and you can get a better idea about the how and why by reading the post that is at the top of the forum.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games