Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Something that came to mind.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 am
I'm a monolateralist. I believe there are multiple Gods but only one God is worthy of my worship. I started thinking, in the tradition in my religion, saints are venerated not worshiped.

In regards to other Gods that I may or may not come in contact with, would I be breaking my oaths with my God if I venerated other Gods when and if I come in contact with them? How does one tell the difference when one is venerating and one is worshiping? Is it based on the words said or the intention of the mortal?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:50 am
I feel this question is best posed to your god, because your relationship may be different from everyone else, and I'm not familiar with the oaths you have made.

For myself, I tell the difference between the way worship feels, it's the difference between a polite nod and a heart-to-heart embrace.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Veneration is deference, respect and reverence, correct?

In terms of levels of bowing, for instance, you might kneel before your own god and incline your head in respect to others. Acknowledgement of who they are and some level or recognition and respect would be nice; beyond that seems unnecessary. I give your god a nod of recognition and leave it at that most of the time - although our situations are different as your god has no desire for my worship as I worship others, while my gods are less concerned about that sort of thing. In theory anyway.

Although, you do live with someone who worships other gods to yourself which changes your situation again, as those gods are welcomed into your home. Go with your gut, I think. Give them respect but pull back if you start to feel uncomfortable, and consult with your deity as to what he feels is appropriate.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:25 pm
Okay that's what I thought. Thanks very much.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games