Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
meditation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 pm
TeaDidikai
Fiddlers Green
As I read this, it seems that you are asserting that all emotional or mental strength is purely a matter of choice, rather than a factor that determines possibility of choices.
Is this correct?
Since ultimately it is a mutable nature- yeah.
With enough consensual programming, we can change the inclinations.
We may opt not to- we may decide that the damage done in order to obtain a given result elsewhere isn't worth it- but it's still a choice.

Inclinations?
I am talking about mental and emotional capacity.

Quote:
The parallels to your example of hiking along the freeway to seek employment elsewhere comes to mind. The first thing that came to mind while I was reading that was that my state has a program that provides transportation to people who need help moving in order to get a job elsewhere. This is at no financial cost to the person using the service. It takes a fair bit of time and effort- but it is an option.

So, because the area you are in offers these things, they are universally available?
Tsk Tsk.
Also, what is the person supposed to eat while this is happening?

Quote:
The issue applied to mental and emotional challenges becomes a matter of seeking out the right form of treatment. I'm currently doing this myself. I spent a lot of time in my life saying I can't help but accept part of these things in my life.

Treatment is not always free.
Not being able to afford a service renders your choices in how to gain it more limited. Until you gain such treatment, does not the condition still impair?

Quote:
I would not argue from ignorance that there is no situation that this doesn't apply to. I can but say I have not personally seen one to date that doesn't involve the most extreme of diagnosis of a psychological state, and I am grateful such is the case.

Interesting.
So, actual mental acuity is now considered a psychological condition?
When I talk about mental strength, I should have clarified that I meant intellect or the minds ability and alacrity for taking in new knowledge and applying it.
I am trying to assert that being slow of mind, or not making certain connections is a limiting factor rather than a choice.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:10 pm
Fiddlers Green

Inclinations?
I am talking about mental and emotional capacity.
I'm afraid this doesn't fall into the realm of hard science.

Quote:

So, because the area you are in offers these things, they are universally available?
Tsk Tsk.
What I am saying is that if you stop looking before you start- you won't know what options are available. People in my area come to the same conclusions you presented. I've heard one of them this morning.
Quote:

Also, what is the person supposed to eat while this is happening?
That would certainly depend on what is available to them.
I can't speak for Cali.
I could address my area if you like, but this is just another example of what we have already covered.

Quote:

Treatment is not always free.
Not being able to afford a service renders your choices in how to gain it more limited. Until you gain such treatment, does not the condition still impair?
A given set of treatments may not be free. Another set may be. Until they are all explored, we can't say that the means to treat the condition is fully addressed.

Quote:

Interesting.
So, actual mental acuity is now considered a psychological condition?
When I talk about mental strength, I should have clarified that I meant intellect or the minds ability and alacrity for taking in new knowledge and applying it.
I am trying to assert that being slow of mind, or not making certain connections is a limiting factor rather than a choice.
In which case save for a physical condition (physical presence of hormones, the DNA, etc), I would say that it is a choice.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:11 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm afraid this doesn't fall into the realm of hard science.

Neither does sociology. Nor economics.
This topic doesn't really fall in the realm of hard science.

Quote:
What I am saying is that if you stop looking before you start- you won't know what options are available. People in my area come to the same conclusions you presented. I've heard one of them this morning.

Indeed, they should look first, however, sometimes there is nothing to be found. Or the means to finding it is lacking. Surely everyone here has internet access to some degree, but that is not universal. One can go to the location in person, if they have the means.

Quote:
A given set of treatments may not be free. Another set may be. Until they are all explored, we can't say that the means to treat the condition is fully addressed.

So, until they are all explored, or until all the ones that are financially possible and compatible with continued survival (money left over for food I mean) are explored?

Quote:
In which case save for a physical condition (physical presence of hormones, the DNA, etc), I would say that it is a choice.

burning_eyes
Right then. So, how much at fault is a person for their DNA?
Oh, and how much is computational capacity affected by physical structures in the body?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:28 pm
Fiddlers Green

Indeed, they should look first, however, sometimes there is nothing to be found. Or the means to finding it is lacking. Surely everyone here has internet access to some degree, but that is not universal. One can go to the location in person, if they have the means.
When I see specific examples, my mind skips over it as the final answer to the problem.

Yes, the internet is easy. But there are lots of resources that are available. Further- I don't fault people for holding a justification for not using all potential options before them. I am merely asking that people acknowledge they are making that choice in much the same way you have mentioned the natures of people- beasts, enlightened or not.
I seek that honesty here.

Quote:

burning_eyes
Right then. So, how much at fault is a person for their DNA?
None, which is why it is excluded.

Quote:
Oh, and how much is computational capacity affected by physical structures in the body?
Would depend on the context I would think.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 pm
TeaDidikai
When I see specific examples, my mind skips over it as the final answer to the problem.

Yes, the internet is easy. But there are lots of resources that are available. Further- I don't fault people for holding a justification for not using all potential options before them. I am merely asking that people acknowledge they are making that choice in much the same way you have mentioned the natures of people- beasts, enlightened or not.
I seek that honesty here.

If a person does not perceive a thing, is it because they are incapable, unwilling, or because the thing is not there?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:30 pm
I seem to have trouble meditating when I try to meditate. I can't keep a clear mind. Sometimes I go into some sort of deep thought that isn't really even thought. It's usually just flashes of images, generally memories, of things from my life or my dreams. This just happens sometimes. If I think about it, it won't happen. If I try not to think about it, it never happens. But if someone comes into physical contact with me, but not just brushing against me or something, I snap out of it. Sometimes if an object in my field of vision shifts suddenly, I snap out of it, yet this doesn't work for people moving.  

Opalescent_violet_14

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:55 am
a n n i v i
I seem to have trouble meditating when I try to meditate. I can't keep a clear mind.
Why would keeping a clear mind be a requirement of meditation?

Why do you want to meditate?
What do you wish to accomplish?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:13 pm
TeaDidikai
a n n i v i
I seem to have trouble meditating when I try to meditate. I can't keep a clear mind.
Why would keeping a clear mind be a requirement of meditation?

Why do you want to meditate?
What do you wish to accomplish?

Well when I was reading Byaggha's pathway thread, the meditation part of it seemed to tell you that you should concentrate on breathing and let any thoughts sort of float away. Byaggha used the idea of tacking them to balloons and letting them float away.
I am now studying a lot of Buddhism, and meditation there is emphasized. I really would like a way to empty my mind of stress and let some emotion go. For some reason, having dreams when I sleep (and sometimes I have them when I'm awake) leaves me feeling much less stressed and more refreshed. Considering my last post, plus this, what do think is happening?

Opalescent_violet_14

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:16 pm
Tea, would you agree with this:
http://www.meditationsociety.com/what.html

why or why not? (if you don't mind) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 am
a n n i v i
Well when I was reading Byaggha's pathway thread, the meditation part of it seemed to tell you that you should concentrate on breathing and let any thoughts sort of float away. Byaggha used the idea of tacking them to balloons and letting them float away.
Yep. Acknowledge them and let them go. Just count the breaths. At least, if you're using this method. As the thread here's saying, there's other ways to do it. 3nodding

Quote:
I am now studying a lot of Buddhism, and meditation there is emphasized. I really would like a way to empty my mind of stress and let some emotion go.
We should have fired a warning shot for this one then - Buddhist meditation doesn't always bring less stress. Sometimes you get more before it gets better, as your mind will want to fight to keep status quo. It's had years of practice living with the denial and habits it has, forcing it to change the very nature of the way it works and develop things like metacognition, if you're not used to it, can be rather painful.

The peace will come, it just might not be that way from the get go.

Quote:
For some reason, having dreams when I sleep (and sometimes I have them when I'm awake) leaves me feeling much less stressed and more refreshed. Considering my last post, plus this, what do think is happening?
Maybe your mind is using your dreamtime to sort itself out. I've heard theory that that's all dreams are - the brain trying to sort out everything it has taken in. So you dream, your brain sorts, and you feel better. 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

insertmulesnamehereplease

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 am
Depends on the type of meditation.

I drink tea.

Then I put music on, because it blocks out the rest of the worldly interruptions. I reccomend soft music, such as sounds of nature, but tailored to your personality, I.e., I like africa, therefore I listen to music of the plains, if I was a person who loved the ocean, I'd listen to whale song.

I don't recommend trying it to heavy metal, though, or lively dance music xd

eventually I'll be happily sunk into my meditative state, and to be honest i totally forget about the music being there. might not work for you though- just a suggestion ^_^  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff