Reply Instruments and Vocals
Which is more useful in classical music- clarinets or flutes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hitsuji-ownz-yew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm
So, this summer, I face a predicament. I'm thinking of taking up another instrument, and either I study the flute or the clarinet. I really like classical music, and flute is used in quite a few pieces that I know of. On the clarinet, I'm not as sure. Can someone tell me from their knowledge which is used more in classical music?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:49 pm
Neither is more over the other. Both have extremely important places in classical music. The flute was part of the orchestra before the clarinet was introduced, however that was way back before Mozart's time and the clarinet is as just as grounded in the orchestra. At the same time I dont believe there is as much written for the clarinet from the Baroque period because of this but I could be wrong. If any clarinetists want to correct me on this please do.

Either choice will give you plently of classical music to play. They both are very important instruments in classical. It wont make a difference as far as having enough of classical repertoire. You'll have a lifetime of classical to play with both.  

`Kel`
Captain

Tinkily

Familiar Trickster

12,775 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Master Medic 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:50 am
The clarinet and the flute are almost the same, only that the clarinet is more like a saxophone. Both are very important in the orchestra, especially in the marching orchestra and great symphony orchestras. If you choose a clarinet, the only thing you have to know is that you have to blow a bit harder than on the flute, it has a strong tone and it's more for jazz stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:58 pm
Tinkily
The clarinet and the flute are almost the same, only that the clarinet is more like a saxophone. Both are very important in the orchestra, especially in the marching orchestra and great symphony orchestras. If you choose a clarinet, the only thing you have to know is that you have to blow a bit harder than on the flute, it has a strong tone and it's more for jazz stuff.

You may have to blow harder on the clarinet, but the flute takes the most air of any instrument. It also uses the same fingerings as the saxophone. I would say that they are used fairly equally.  

Little Silver Girl

flamingrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm
I say the flute.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 pm
hmmm, you see I am in the middle of transition into a college and our job is to write a piece, in my study, the flute provides a nice beautiful high tone that can faintly be heard, even without it, yet it is still essential, and the clarinet provides a nice warm sound, it kind of sits there and lets it get into your heart and beat with it; they are both essential to any ensemble, neither is better nor worse.  

tokerlord

toco clarinet

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:49 am
Little Silver Girl
Tinkily

You may have to blow harder on the clarinet, but the flute takes the most air of any instrument. It also uses the same fingerings as the saxophone. I would say that they are used fairly equally.

@ silver you don't have to "blow harder" for clarinet than flute. i play both, and if anything, flute requires you to blow harder because you have to create your own resistance. clarinet is naturally resistant, so the sound comes out easier. that doesn't mean it's easier to play clarinet than flute. clarinet is not "more for jazz stuff" neutral that's just ridiculous to say.

@ tink saxophone and flute do not have the same fingerings neutral . just like the clarinet and saxophone, they have similar fingerings.

i would say to play clarinet because i like it more. i like the tone of the clarinet better than the flute, although at a professional level, they are both very warm tones. clarinet has, arguably, a bigger range than flute, from a low E(concert D) to as high as a flute can play. usually that is up at about a high concert A but both instruments can play higher if the player is skilled.

edit- don't forget, you don't have to play a certain instrument to play music written for that instrument. you could play a cello piece on a trombone if you wanted. many trumpet players play violin music. it's not a hard transposition from flute to clarinet and vice versa, so what ever you choose, you can play music for either.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:57 am
I would vote flute but i am very biassed as it's my first instrument lol the good thing I find with the flute over the clarinet is we don't need reeds whereas with the clarinet you are constantly buying new reeds so it's probably overall more expensive than the flute as you only really need to buy it and get it reconditioned every couple of years and I think it is cheaper to buy a student flute in the first place although high quality they are both probably about the same.  

goffica_57

Best SymphoniaGirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm
flute b/c sometimes u 4get clarinets r even dare but day do add very nicely to da music wen u hear em  
Instruments and Vocals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games