Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Solitary or Coven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Solitary or Coven?
  Solitary
  Coven
  This'll give me gold if I click it right? Coolios!
View Results

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
I'd rather stay Solitare. Group work isn't all it's cut out to be.

It is, and it isn't. I find coven work, as you say, to be very different - but it is a wonderful and powerful thing. I enjoy both working by myself and joining with my coven family for ritual. There is a particular depth and dimension to working with a group, because of the pool of ritual resonance that group draws from in its' practices, that solitaries may not have experienced. Solitaries create their own ritual resonance, but it isn't going to be as large or established as that of a group with core rites practiced for an extended period of time.

That being said, group work can entail personality clashes, drama, and all other kinds of social crap. A lot of covens work hard to avoid this, but there will always be some that don't - so in some ways, working alone can be easier if you're not a people person or interested in that sort of thing.

I would not give up my coven for the world. It really is about finding a coven that is a good fit for you, and experiencing what a well-run group is like - otherwise, it's difficult to understand why people stay in covens at all.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:54 am
I agree... I like working with a group and I like working alone sometimes. I did major holidays etc. with my group but much of the personal stuff I did alone or with only a few members who's talents/knowedge/personal comfort level fit the ritual and the need. I like the feel of the mix of energies during group ritual and how once you have been working with the persons from a while how truly your energies intermingle. I was working with one group and we got so close and so intune with each other (we met once a week to work on energy stuff/healings/planning and did all esbats and Sabbats together) It got to the point where all we had to do was think of another member and it was almost guaranteed we would run into them at some point that day usually with in a two hour period. I miss them greatly.

I am now currently living in Korea. Which most people are probably thinking "Pagan in Korea?!?!?" however, there is actually an indigenous pagan tradition here. There is Korean Shamanism. I was lucky enough to get pared up with a teacher (actual elementary school teacher) who follows that path. It is quite an interesting view of shamanism here. A kid got hurt the first week of classes and instead of going to the school nurse came to my co-teacher for a healing. Anyways, from what I have learned of the path here it is remarkibly similar to that of Native American Shamanism. So no 'covens' here, but a few people that are totally game to work with others, even if the paths are from oposite sides of the world.  

Ivy_tsuki

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:59 am
I think energies intermingling is gross. Srsly. Ew. Is as bad as pregnancy.

Look, can we stop using "shaman" anthropologically? It's inappropriate in this context. Let's learn the appropriate terms so that we can better ourselves with knowledge.

Thus I ask: What do the Koreans call their ecstatic traditions?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am
Sanguina Cruenta

Look, can we stop using "shaman" anthropologically? It's inappropriate in this context. Let's learn the appropriate terms so that we can better ourselves with knowledge.

They call themselves Korean Shamans. And as for your comment about this anthropologically, Shaman is an anthropologic term applied to many indigenous religions around the world. Not just ones of North America or Siberia.  

Ivy_tsuki

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 am
Ivy_tsuki
Sanguina Cruenta

They call themselves Korean Shamans. And as for your comment about this anthropologically, Shaman is an anthropologic term applied to many indigenous religions around the world. Not just ones of North America or Siberia.

That's why I asked that we could stop. Because it's inaccurate in this context. It shouldn't be applied to practitioners in North America because it is a Siberian word and properly applies only to that tradition. Different religions and spiritual paths do similar things, but they have their own words for it.

What is the word in Korean for this practice?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 am
What are the benefits and disadvantages to being solitary or in a coven? (in your opinion)  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Ivy_tsuki
Sanguina Cruenta

That's why I asked that we could stop. Because it's inaccurate in this context. It shouldn't be applied to practitioners in North America because it is a Siberian word and properly applies only to that tradition. Different religions and spiritual paths do similar things, but they have their own words for it.

What is the word in Korean for this practice?
Korean Shaminism=Musim.
Korean Shaman=Mudang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_shamanism  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 am
Do you work alone or are you apart of a coven?
I work alone, as I am not of age and follow my own set of Pagan beliefs (eclectic).

Do you like it?
I've never had a coven to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.

What do you think the benefits and downfalls are for each?
Benefits of solitary is being able to follow your own path, and do things your own way. Downfall is that if you have a question, when you're solitary, there's not that many people to talk to. If you're in a coven you don't have that problem, but you might not find one that exactly fits with what you believe.

Fairytale Endings

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 pm
I am solitary, but my best friend and I often do things together, but I am not in an actual coven. I wish I was in a coven, and I feel like this in a great town to find a coven in, but so far I haven't had any luck.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 pm
Im solitary, but i have at least 3 friends who i do things with, but we arent really a coven. Im not sure if I'd want to be in a coven; too used to working alone when it comes to rituals and such.  

Lady_Suula

Neamhain Riona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:54 pm
Do you work alone or are you apart of a coven? Alone
Do you like it? Yes  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:18 am
I am solitary. I enjoy being solitary. I have crippling social anxiety and I'm not one for public meetings. I have never desired being in a coven, and my husband is studying paganism as well so I'm teaching him everything I know.
We do our magic together and that's the closest thing I have to having energies mingling.  

Hel Valraven

Madame_Craft

Aged Browser

7,675 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:38 am
I am solitary. However I might have someone to work with, one of my roommates.
I do like it in a way. However I would love to see how a coven actually runs as far as I know there is none around here. I am a very curious person by nature, but I would probably not join one.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games