Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
meditation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:25 pm
Sophist
whiporwill-o
doing crunches used to give me that sort of 'high' feeling, but then i got sick one season and the doctor said i had to stop or my spleen would rupture, and that didnt sound like fun so now they just make my back hurt, lol.

Maybe it depends more on what you're doing. When I did yoga I had more of that nice high feeling than any other exercise I've tried, but that's after doing two hours of it. It's still something nice to consider. I would really recommend it as a relaxation tool.

thanks. i know my mom used to do yoga as a type of therapy for her back, but she always said she felt better overall after doing it. she would like to start again, i may just have to get a video for it myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm
whiporwill-o
Sophist
whiporwill-o
doing crunches used to give me that sort of 'high' feeling, but then i got sick one season and the doctor said i had to stop or my spleen would rupture, and that didnt sound like fun so now they just make my back hurt, lol.

Maybe it depends more on what you're doing. When I did yoga I had more of that nice high feeling than any other exercise I've tried, but that's after doing two hours of it. It's still something nice to consider. I would really recommend it as a relaxation tool.

thanks. i know my mom used to do yoga as a type of therapy for her back, but she always said she felt better overall after doing it. she would like to start again, i may just have to get a video for it myself.

Good idea! I personally would recommend attending a class if you're a first timer because it's hard to get the postures exactly right because you can't see yourself doing them and you don't know how they're supposed to feel in terms of keeping everything in correct alignment. You can try checking yelp.com to see if there are any drop-in classes at some place like the YWCA to get you started. Though you might be able to ask your mom as well, so that would help. This website has a bunch of poses and even yoga sequences you can try out. Good luck. smile  

Bastemhet

Tres_Huevos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
i'm hoping that meditation will help calm my stress levels and gather my thoughts, which would help out in alot of other areas too such as my insomnia and attitude, i tend to stay in a good mood for the most part, but if someone pushes the wrong button then im irritable the rest of the day. i may be misinformed, and if i am please correct me, but i was under the impression that meditating could help with these sorts of issues.
There are other tools to accomplish this as well. confused

care to give examples? smile
A good workout is the common one that comes to mind.
Would there be something wrong or ineffective with meditation as a tool to accomplish what she(?) desired? Is there something about a good workout that would make it more reasonable as a tool to accomplish these things?

Your responses don't dispute that meditation could accomplish what she desires that I can see, and while there's often merit in considering alternatives to a course of action, I'm curious as to why you made a point of it. Sorry if I'm reading too deep into this. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:16 am
Tres_Huevos
Would there be something wrong or ineffective with meditation as a tool to accomplish what she(?) desired? Is there something about a good workout that would make it more reasonable as a tool to accomplish these things?
In some cases yes.

I'm not a fan of the "Meditation is the Answer to All things!" position I commonly see. Especially when thinking about something is replacing doing something about the situations.

We've talked a lot about stress as the reason people meditate.
How come we haven't talked about sorting out the points of stress in one's life?

Quote:
Your responses don't dispute that meditation could accomplish what she desires that I can see, and while there's often merit in considering alternatives to a course of action, I'm curious as to why you made a point of it. Sorry if I'm reading too deep into this. sweatdrop
Making the point because why use a tool that isn't as effective just because pagans think it's cool?  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:46 pm
TeaDidikai
...I'm not a fan of the "Meditation is the Answer to All things!" position I commonly see. Especially when thinking about something is replacing doing something about the situations. ...

But But... In Stargate, there was no situation so dire that it could not be solved with a heightened state of kel'no'reem. ninja

Altho, it does behoove us to follow some very good advice given there above. Find the source of your problems, and deal with that. Only if you do not perceive a way to, should you focus on alleviating the after effects. Stressed about something? Deal with what causes the stress. If it seems beyound your control, or beyound your means, then address the resultant stress. But don't take medicine for a poison, if you are going to keep takign the venom into your body... mayhaps find a different cup, negating the need for the antidote in the first place.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm not a fan of the "Meditation is the Answer to All things!" position I commonly see. Especially when thinking about something is replacing doing something about the situations.

Because sometimes there's nothing you can do. Sometimes going to school/work/whatever every day inevitably takes its toll on people. Sometimes there are uncomfortable situations that people can't do much more than live with. Little things build up, and many people don't know how to relax. Which is why when there's no recourse but to accept what the situation is, people seek something to do about their stress that doesn't involve changing the circumstances.

And yes you can say that people always have a choice. For example, if you don't enjoy the work you're doing, get a different job. If you don't like arguing with your s.o., dump them. But these options aren't always feasible.  

Bastemhet

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 pm
thank you, Sophist, for the link 3nodding

i don't have to worry about my job stressing me anymore... i was 'let go' today... so now i have the lack of a job to stress me out more sweatdrop finding a job on the beach during off-season is hard.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai
...I'm not a fan of the "Meditation is the Answer to All things!" position I commonly see. Especially when thinking about something is replacing doing something about the situations. ...

But But... In Stargate, there was no situation so dire that it could not be solved with a heightened state of kel'no'reem. ninja

The wife of Teal'c died despite kel'no'reem. cry  

Aino Ailill

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:13 am
Aino Ailill

question exclaim question exclaim
Well that's a plot hole and a half!
I mean, come on, we've done everything from banish demons to survive in space unprotected even killed terminal illnesses, with this. confused  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am
Fiddlers Green
Aino Ailill

question exclaim question exclaim
Well that's a plot hole and a half!
I mean, come on, we've done everything from banish demons to survive in space unprotected even killed terminal illnesses, with this. confused

Teal'c's wife didn't have a symbiote.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:39 am
CuAnnan

Ah, yes, I am beginning to recall, time to re-watch that season. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 am
Fiddlers Green
CuAnnan

It's the only series that I've re-written the file-permissions on to prevent deletion.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:54 am
CuAnnan
It's the only series that I've re-written the file-permissions on to prevent deletion.
We've got the whole thing in box sets, from beginning to end. 3nodding All we're short on is the two movies that were done post series.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:57 am
Byaggha
CuAnnan
We've got the whole thing in box sets, from beginning to end. 3nodding All we're short on is the two movies that were done post series.

Don't.
Save yourself.
The movies were ******** terrible.
They were so bad that I almost lost faith in the Series.
Seriously.
They were shite.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 am
CuAnnan
Fiddlers Green
CuAnnan

I've seen the original movie many times, but I was very sporadic on the series. I don't even know the time line. I'll have to sneek watch it along with Dr. Who. I don't know why, but hubby won't watch either of them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff