Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Solitary or Coven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Solitary or Coven?
  Solitary
  Coven
  This'll give me gold if I click it right? Coolios!
View Results

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:07 pm
Quote:
But they may also judge and not agree with your practices.

If you found the right coven, I don't think this would be too much of an issue. You might have to go though a few to find one that is a right fit, but it also makes it more understandable that covens are so picky about taking on new members.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am
i am and have been solitary for the past 5 years... however i feel like i dont know anything at all... i know that i need to be in a coven but i cant seem to find one wich is weird because i live in oregon... idk.... i just know that i need to talk to someone who knows the path better than me....  

Wiccan Rikku

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:32 pm
Wiccan Rikku
i am and have been solitary for the past 5 years... however i feel like i dont know anything at all... i know that i need to be in a coven but i cant seem to find one wich is weird because i live in oregon... idk.... i just know that i need to talk to someone who knows the path better than me....

Well, if you're speaking of Wiccan covens, you'll need to be age of majority (at least 18 years old) before they would be willing to accept you as a Seeker. Remember - if it's not British Traditional Wicca, it's not Wicca. If you're serious about Seeking, try the Amber and Jet mailing list. It's designed specifically for that purpose.

If you are speaking of eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft, which is commonly mislabeled as Wicca - they may have different standards regarding membership. Witchvox has many listings for eclectic coven in Oregon, of varying description. It's worth looking at.

There are plenty of people here of varying paths who are more than willing to discuss witchcraft and pagan religions with others - me included. I will happily chat with you and answer questions where I may - a step short of teaching, but the best you'll get online in regards to Wicca. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:01 pm
Morgandria
If you're serious about Seeking, try the Amber and Jet mailing list. It's designed specifically for that purpose.

Actually, FWIW, they've recently closed down their Seeker service. They still have discussions and such on there and if you e-mail one of the women on there she'll try to help as much as she can....but yea, there's no more Seekers List part of that group sad I had a sad when I read that.

Still though! A&J is still highly recommended for the scope of discussions they have on there 3nodding  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Morgandria
If you're serious about Seeking, try the Amber and Jet mailing list. It's designed specifically for that purpose.

Actually, FWIW, they've recently closed down their Seeker service. They still have discussions and such on there and if you e-mail one of the women on there she'll try to help as much as she can....but yea, there's no more Seekers List part of that group sad I had a sad when I read that.

Still though! A&J is still highly recommended for the scope of discussions they have on there 3nodding

That's unfortunate - but I completely understand the level of burnout running such a list was doubtlessly producing.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:05 am
Dragoness Arleeana
Diana_Moon
Right now I'm Solitary, mainly because I haven't found a coven in the area where I live.

Have you tried Witchvox? If there's a coven near you it'll most likely be on that site.

Oh wow, thanks a lot for that one! *joins immediately* ^^ Just what I needed.  

Arcaniss Vivian

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:01 am
Morgandria
Violet Song jat Shariff
Morgandria

That's unfortunate - but I completely understand the level of burnout running such a list was doubtlessly producing.

There is still a link in the file section that you can add some basic info to, that way if Elders can look though it if they want to. I think at this point they are just encouraging people to join in discussions and ask on list.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:24 am
Mmmm I don't think this a generic topic so much as a highly debatable topic.
I personally choose to work solitary, but every now and then I meet up with my family, witchy-friends, and or the community coven my city has for local things or celebrations.
Perhaps I will move into a coven setting later on in life, right now I am content being solitary. Though, I suppose my family is in away a coven...
hm.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

Emerald_Angel28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:01 pm
I've been working solitary since I started practicing. I've looked around, but there doesn't seem to be a coven near where I live that will let me join. I have met one or two people who also study the same things when I was back in high school, but now they've all moved away to colleges across the country so it's mostly just me. But it's alright that way. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:04 am
Emerald_Angel28
I've been working solitary since I started practicing. I've looked around, but there doesn't seem to be a coven near where I live that will let me join. I have met one or two people who also study the same things when I was back in high school, but now they've all moved away to colleges across the country so it's mostly just me. But it's alright that way. 3nodding

There's nothing wrong with being a solitary witch. Many people maintain that kind of practice.

You will require a coven to learn Wicca, if that's what you're interested in, but part of that journey may indeed be that you need to travel some distance to work with a coven. It's fairly normal for people to have to sacrifice some time and energy, and cover some distance, to find a group.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am
also, not all covens are wicca, there are some covens that are simply groups of witches.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:57 am
I'm happy to be a solitary witch. smile
The few groups/covems I've met have either been run by egotistical so & so's or have disbanded due to member differances.
Group work is great for motivation, energy gathering & getting answers to any questions quickly, but I'm not one for set rules & exact "musts" & "don'ts" as I work in a very "what feels right for me" sort of way.
I also feel I learn more when I research & read up on things on my own, particulary with spellwork & rituals as I'm putting more energy & work into them.

Personally I feel that if you want to be Wiccan or follow a set tradition (Dianatic, Gardanian etc) you really have to be a member of a coven to truely follow that path, but if you're like me & go more on insticts then there's no need to be in a coven.

I attend local moots, gatherings etc for the social side of Paganism.
It's a great way to hear about different paths &/or local covens!

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.....  

MissSootica

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:39 pm
I practice my religion currently alone(though it is not Wicca or witchcraft, or any other religion that has "covens". More Hellenismos/Greek Reconstructionalism to a degree, though I'm not the most OCD out there about it, though I do try to be as accurate as I can. I'm not opposed to working with my cultural heritage's beings though if I feel the urge, or mixing some beliefs and I most commonly pray in English as that's the language I speak best.) as I don't know anyone of my religion in my area. I know a lot of random neopagans, a few odd Wiccans, and a Norse Reconstructionalist, but no Hellenic neopagans. If I could find people of my faith nearby, I would probably practice to a degree with them, but I don't think there's any sort of problem with practicing on your own if your religion isn't against it(British Traditional Wicca would not allow people to practice individually for example, and still be doing Traditional Wiccan rituals. Your religion may vary.)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:11 pm
Im solitary for the most part and I dont see myself joining a coven anytime soon. I am part of a small group of Pagans that get together for Sabbats and such, but other then that, I prefer to work alone. It feels more personal to me.  

Lamia Moonrose

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Neamhain Riona

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm
I am a solitary witch. I do celebrate Sabbats with a group I meet online and they are local. Its familyoriated.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games