Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
President Obama supports Gay Marriage Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:21 am
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
Before I type this, I would like to say that I respect your opinion, as I wish not to start a disagreement with anyone as the following is simply my opinion.

As I believe that Obama is simply saying that to get more votes. Earlier (as in a year or two ago) he said he disagreed with gay marriage, and now when his presidency is almost up as well as it being in danger from the job he has done. I truly believe he simply said it to get more votes, as he easily got 50,000 people to vote for him there simply by those few words he said.

Of course he doesn't give a ******** about gay marriage, he just wants the votes. like any politician out there, they will do anything to win and maintain power. but hey, the lgbt community benefits from it too...  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:25 am
Lady Kayura
Before I type this, I would like to say that I respect your opinion, as I wish not to start a disagreement with anyone as the following is simply my opinion.

As I believe that Obama is simply saying that to get more votes. Earlier (as in a year or two ago) he said he disagreed with gay marriage, and now when his presidency is almost up as well as it being in danger from the job he has done. I truly believe he simply said it to get more votes, as he easily got 50,000 people to vote for him there simply by those few words he said.

If he's doing it just to get votes, why has he done all sorts of things to support LGBT rights? Like repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell and be openly against DOMA. He's done more, google it. He's supported LGBT since he became president.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/22/what-president-obama-has-done-for-lgbt-rights-and-equality/ I googled it for you.

There is no doubt Obama has done a things for the LGBT community, but honey he's just another man with a hunger for power, when they asked why was he taking sides now, saying that he is in favor of gay marriage at almost the end of his presidency, he answered:

"Beacuse my daughter has friend who have parents that are of the same sex..."
really? that's the best answer you can give? come on, you'd have to be stupid to believe that s**t.
this is just another politician move, a good one for us though.  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:28 am
Lady Kayura

If he's doing it just to get votes, why has he done all sorts of things to support LGBT rights? Like repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell and be openly against DOMA. He's done more, google it. He's supported LGBT since he became president.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/22/what-president-obama-has-done-for-lgbt-rights-and-equality/ I googled it for you.

So you do prove a bit of what I had said wrong, but even though he had done some things to help, it seems as if it hadn't done much. As if he truly supported LGBT rights, he would've allowed gay marriage, or at least fought for it, to be in all states allowed.

There is a law that separates a state from religion/beliefs. Obama cannot legalize gay marriage on his own, a bill has to be passed and approved by the states in order for gays to get married.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 am
lgtenos
Lady Kayura
Sin Error
He's inspired senators in my country to bring same sex marriage to where I live! biggrin

That's wonderful, much like your Scott Pilgrim signature. 3nodding

Finally. Someone sees the epicness that is Sin's sig.

xd  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 am
Sin Error
There is no doubt Obama has done a things for the LGBT community, but honey he's just another man with a hunger for power, when they asked why was he taking sides now, saying that he is in favor of gay marriage at almost the end of his presidency, he answered:

really? that's the best answer you can give? come on, you'd have to be stupid to believe that s**t.

He's a politician, he's going to make political moves. And compared to Romney and Paul (is he still running? Or still alive?), I'll back Obama. At least he won't undo all (or most) of the progress we've made. 3nodding

And your sig reminds me that I need to play a little Scott Pilgrim on the Xbox. >_>

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:01 pm
Lady Kayura
Sin Error

He's a politician, he's going to make political moves. And compared to Romney and Paul (is he still running? Or still alive?), I'll back Obama. At least he won't undo all (or most) of the progress we've made. 3nodding

And your sig reminds me that I need to play a little Scott Pilgrim on the Xbox. >_>

agreed on that.

hit me up sometime, GT: Sin error

btw Love your avatar smile  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Novoz

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:39 pm
I think its easy to say you are for something then not act on it until he legalizes gay marriage i wouldnt put to much into it  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:15 pm
well I would support obama anyway and this really doesnt effect my view on him but I am SO glad he supports it smile  

Taiki Matsuyama

1,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm
Sin Error
Lady Kayura

So you do prove a bit of what I had said wrong, but even though he had done some things to help, it seems as if it hadn't done much. As if he truly supported LGBT rights, he would've allowed gay marriage, or at least fought for it, to be in all states allowed.

There is a law that separates a state from religion/beliefs. Obama cannot legalize gay marriage on his own, a bill has to be passed and approved by the states in order for gays to get married.

I know that, that is why I said ' or at least fought for it' he could argue for it. Even then, he can still do more to support gays.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:26 pm
Lady Kayura
Lady Kayura

I believe him when he says his opinion has been evolving. It isn't the first time he's said that. As for allowing gay marriage, he's a president, not a king. He can't simply say "this is what I want" and it is done. These things have to be voted on.

What he has done is come out and oppose DOMA and Prop 8, both of which want to define marriage as between a man and woman. And when states have voted to allow SSM (same sex marriage) he's come out in support of that. And when North Carolina came out against SSM, Obama came out and said they were wrong.

Under Obama, in this year alone, let's go over a few things that have happened in the USA. SSM laws have been passed in Maryland and Washington. And Civil union/registered partnership laws came into effect for Delaware and Hawaii.

You feeling that he hasn't done much is very subjective and while I can't say you're wrong to feel that, I can point out that he's done more than any other sitting president before him. It seems like every time he speaks, he mentions LGBT rights. And if Obama doesn't win the election in November, the US will stop all progression on LGBT rights because we know Romney does not support us.

There's more than what I'm posting but it's 6:30am here now and I got up early to get dressed for a wedding, not post about gay rights. lol.

As I know he is not a king, he can't simply say 'gay rights are allowed deal!' I understand that, he can simply fight more. As I respect your opinion, and wish not to have this get further into a debate, or argument, which ever you wish to call it. We all have our opinions, as I hope you shall respect mine as I respect yours.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm
Sin Error

Of course he doesn't give a ******** about gay marriage, he just wants the votes. like any politician out there, they will do anything to win and maintain power. but hey, the lgbt community benefits from it too...

Thank you for agreeing with me, and although I am glad the LGBT community is getting more attention out there, it frustrates me when someone says something simply to get people to view them differently.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:24 pm

wish not to have this get further into a debate,

So be it.He could do more but he's already got a full time job running a country. >_<  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 pm
Lady Kayura

So be it.He could do more but he's already got a full time job running a country. >_<

Thank you~I know, but if he has so much time to take his entire staff on vacation as well as go on so many golfing trips, he has plenty of time to do at least one thing for the LGBT community.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:44 am
Lady Kayura

Thank you~I know, but if he has so much time to take his entire staff on vacation as well as go on so many golfing trips, he has plenty of time to do at least one thing for the LGBT community.

Anytime. At least one thing? I've already posted things he's done. >_<  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:33 pm
It's official. I'm voting for him. I was thinking about voting for him ever since he helped capture Osama Bin Laden and started pulling out troops in the middle east. And I just like him.

I'll be getting my state ID and I'll get registered to vote on Sunday. emotion_awesome

I don't think he did it to get votes. Actually, he might loose votes as well. It was kind of a risky move. However he thinks about it, he's doing the right thing. I wouldn't give a damn if it was a purely political move either. Any way means progress, and he's done a lot for the LGBT community.

I believed him when he said his opinion was evolving. That is how I came to support gay rights. :/

Mitt Romney can kiss my a**. I swear, if a Republican stops stuff like birth control, I will be pissed. I need that to prevent some reproductive system cancers I'm genetically prone to. And stuff like stem cell research... this is why I don't like conservatives, they're unwilling to move forward. THANK GOD THAT OTHER a*****e DROPPED OUT OF THE RACE. The one who thought women shouldn't serve in the military! UGH, I do NOT want to be lead by that guy.

We need Obama to make progress now. We can't turn back. In a more stable time, yeah, I might elect a Republican, but not right now since this is a time of progression.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff