Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Is prayer effective? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

linkisi

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm
I know prayer works because a had a rare virus that attacked my body and it morphed to look like cells in my spine, so when the virus was eliminated my immune system attacked my spine and I became a paraplegic and almost a quadraplegic and needing a resperator. Luckly I got into the hospital when I did but the doctor said I only had about a 7% chance of getting full use of my legs again. I was stuck in the hospital for 2 days with no movement in my legs and then on the sunday of the 3rd day my legs started to move again. I slowly got my legs back and was able to move with a walker and got out the next day (because my moms a nurse and she gave me the doses of medicine I was givin through an IV) and I got my legs back and my balance within 2 weeks. When I went back to the doctors they said it was amazing that that has never happend before and he became a believer of God because of what happend to me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:53 am

My pastor told us that if someone is sick or dying and people pray for them. and they still die, it may not be the way you want it to turn out but, something good comes out of it.
Like lets say someone is a Christian and they are friends with someone who is not Christian. The Christian is sick and dying, but they are still happy and spend their last days fullfiled.
The non-Christian wonders why this person is so happy but their dying. So he or she asks, and the Christian explains that they will be going to heaven.The non-Christian is interested and wants to know more about their faith.
Then the Christian dies, The non-Christian will be upset of course but they might go to that person's church out of curiosity.
They very well could be saved becouse of their friend who was dying.

There are many ways things can work out for the better.
In this case one person was saved becuase of a friend's death.  

Amanda_S_C

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:20 pm
Ask and you shall receive.

I've prayed for many things that looked VERY unlikely, and The Lord has blessed me in those things. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:15 am
First off, Deuteronomy 6:16. Look it up.

Second off, isn't it widely believed that God has a plan? If indeed He does, then why are you challenging His wisdom? If He wants to take you, He will. Shouldn't prayer be a reaffirmation of faith instead of just wishing? If I were to believe in God, that's how I would use prayer.  

Sting Chameleon

Newbie Elder

Bane Ad Vitam

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:38 pm
Prayer is indeed effective. Just look in the newspaper. There are lists of people saying that they prayed to St. Jude for something that seemed to be hopeless, and whatever they wanted happened. Just so you know he is the saint of hopeless cases or something like that, but you have to announce it. At least that's what I've heard from several people.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:39 pm
in my opinion, the way a person prays is the way God hears it... if the person prays just to get reckgonishion for praying for that person God doesnt listen as much, But if the person truely loves person they are praying for they will get understanding...like if the person is to live they show God that the person has influenced one person, but if God still chooses to take that life God will reveal briefly why he/she took his/her life. Praying influences very small what God understands.. God is bigger than anything we can consieve, to understand we must be nothing...(have the mentality like to be greatest we must be the least)  

scotch0069

RatTurd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:37 am
Matthew 6:6 "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

You do not need to be formal, like this: "Oh Great and mighty God" Just talk to Him like you would any friend. A good start is "Heavenly Father, Or dear God" then just tell him what you want. I always try to remember to first tell Him "Thank you" for the things He has done. Even if it is for just giving me this day, then whatever I am praying about, whether it is this meal we are about to receive, protect our troupes, our country, etc. then yes I do always end in Jesus name. Jesus tells us "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (Johm 14:6) It is really very simple. All prayer is effective, God knows what we need.

Source(s):
The Holy Bible.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:01 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

This video has a good Atheist view on the subject... I think:
http://www.godisimaginary.com/video8.htm

Personally I think this guy is really annoying sounding, but he does make a good point.

Although his arguments can be beaten by the statement "god cannot be tested", which I think is a pretty pathetic argument, as it immunes god from many arguments and even protects him from the scientific method.

...and they want their oil back.

[The Looney Bin]

Mjolnir The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:02 pm
Honestly, I think the best/only way to explain prayer is through anecdotes and happenings to other people. The reason being is that they are real life situations from which we can learn from the most vividly.

The only other explanation I can give is that it's a hope we ask for very sincerely from God and we live our lives to see if He will fulfill them. Sometimes, they are.
Sometimes, they are not.

What should be clear, though, is that God knows best for us all, whether or not we understand why he does what he does or not.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:54 pm
Prayer works, not only because God hears and answers our prayers (even if the answer isn't the one we thought we wanted), but because by praying we strengthen our relationship with Him. It's like any other relationship: the more you spend time with them, the closer you get. God bless you, through prayer, through friends, through scripture, through what you see and feel.  

Faith Fairy

Crew

Blessed Fairy

9,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

four o-clock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:49 pm
Prayer can be very powerful. Prayer can be a form of connection to God. Prayer can make a difference.

However, you don't get everything you ever want in prayer. I always wanted an elephant. I truly believed that if I prayed hard enough, then I would get one.

The point of prayer is communcation with God. To praise, to reconnect, to lay your troubles away.

I used to think that it was wrong to ask for things in prayer. I thought that God had a plan and, who was I to ask for something different? But I have come to believe (and have been told by wiser than I) that God wants you to come to Him and ask. It pleases Him for you to put it before Him.

four o-clock  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:56 pm
Does prayer work? Depends on the person.

Anyone can pray. Its easy. But whats the difference between what someone calls unanswered prayers and answered prayers? What do I mean by "depends on the person"?

To answer that you ask deeper questions. What the fuel behind prayer? What is it, that makes God perk up his ears and listen to prayer?

Its Faith.

(definition - confidence or trust in a person or thing, belief that is not based on proof
)

The bible says, "without faith its impossible to please God". Meaning you cant make him happy untill you stop being scared, untill you have confidence in his power, and untill you trust him without question.

A prayer with the faith that God will do what he says, is answered everytime. A prayer without faith, without belief, and with doubt is pointless. If you are certian you are going to die and pray and pray and pray but still know you are going to die. Your going to die.... period. The bible says life and death is in the power of the tongue. What you think and say means everything, and how you trust God means everything.

My uncle had a good comment in one of his sermons on faith and prayer.
"Faith Makes God Move"

When God looks down and sees that your trusting him, and you believe he actually WILL (not just can) help, he will move heaven and earth for you. It pleases him to see it.
--------------------

Commit everything you to the Lord, trust him and he will help you. Psalms 37:5

"Then Jesus told them, "I assure you, if you have faith and don't doubt, you can do things like this and much more. You can say to every mountian, 'May God lift you up and throw you into the sea,' and it will happen. If you believe, you will recieve whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:21-22

"What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot see. God gave his approval to the people in days of old because of thier faith. By faith we understand that the world was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything seen." Hebrews 11:1-3

"But people are decalred righteous because of their faith, not because of their work." Romans 4:4-5

"The Lord is my strength and my sheild; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. Psalm 28:7

"The Lord is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him sincerely." Psalm 145:18

"The eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine." Psalm 33:18
----------------------------------
How many times have you prayed to God, but never really expected anything? Your just talking hoping someone is there and maybe, just maybe, something might happen.

God answers the prayers of those who have faith in him. That means that yea, a lot of ppl on this earth will not have answered prayers. But there are those who will. Therefore, when you ask, 'Does God answer prayers"? The answer is "To people who trust he will answer them, he will everytime"

`Kel`

`Kel`

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm
[The Looney Bin]
The dinosaurs are returning...

This video has a good Atheist view on the subject... I think:
http://www.godisimaginary.com/video8.htm

Personally I think this guy is really annoying sounding, but he does make a good point.

Although his arguments can be beaten by the statement "god cannot be tested", which I think is a pretty pathetic argument, as it immunes god from many arguments and even protects him from the scientific method.

...and they want their oil back.

Nothing can go against an Almighty God without being torn to pieces. God is perfect. How is being completely invinsible, immortal, and completely in charge a weak argument? Its actually a perfect argument for a perfect God. Its perfect because nothing can defeat it. Its not weak, because a weak argument is defeated. The athieist argument is probably the weak one because it's defeated by the very nature of God. Who is perfect.

And that was truly the stupidest video I have ever seen. The only thing it did was waste time. OBVIOUSLY the guy thats talking HAS NO FAITH IN GOD. So how can he talk about how God dosnt or does answer prayers? He has no experience. The only response hes probably ever gotten is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING. With that kind of zero faith hes got, I would bet hes never had 1 prayer answered.

Its simple

Faith (Trust) Love = Answered Prayer

No Faith (Doubt) = Unanswered Prayer

You can just talk all you want into the dark ppl. But You HAVE TO believe what you ask is going to happen, You HAVE To believe your actually talking to someone. If you feel any doubt, your faith isnt there. Prayer is pointless in the state of doubt

I know, i've been there. I used to pray, and I had very little faith. Ive had unanswered prayers. Of course, and its because I didnt trust God to make it happen, so it didnt happen. And I was so confused as to why. But I learned something. When I asked for what I needed, its was a requirement that I had to believe it was going to happen, (ISo I even told people after I prayed what God was going to do for me), After I became convinced that God does what he says. Amazing things began to happen Glory to God. He always answers my prayers since I learned that lesson.

Not only that, but he began to speak back to me occasionally. Its truly awesome when you experience that. He is constantly telling me "Don't worry", as long as I put my situation in his hands and trust him, hes got my problems worked out before I even finish my prayer. I mean, it flat out irritates him when I start worring too much. He thinks I dont believe what hes telling me when I get like that. It really does thrill God to answer your prayers and meet your needs. But untill you have the trust to allow it, it wont happen.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:05 am
kinda creepy
my keyboard just rolled to me

so i guess i'll take a stab at this one
perhaps they do
maybe they don't

what i wouldn't do is stop CPR to pray...thats just silly

perhaps God helps those who help themselfs
get off your a** and do something
idk
send a pagan to med school  

lordstar