yea, i guess
  nah, not really
  i dont really care
  goldgoldgold
View Results

Sinner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:12 pm
ferretfan1
LOOK, I DID NOT ADD EINSTEINS NAME TOO IT, I GOT THIS STORY IN AN EMAIL AN I THOUGHT IT WAS AN INTERESTING STORY TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL. I KNOW THAT YOU ARE EXPRESSING WAT YOU THINK, AND THATS GOOD. BUT BY THE WAY YOU SOUND, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU INTENDED ALL THAT BLAMING TOWARDS ME, AND IF I OFFENDED YOU THAT BADLY, THAN I AM TRULY SORRY. BUT I DID NOT CREATE THIS STORY, NOR PUT EINSTEINS NAME IN IT.

I didn't say you put it in there. Hell, I've seen this exact story a half dozen times already.

But you are still at fault for perpetuating the deception, if not originating it. Just because you didn't put Einstein's name in there doesn't mean that you can escape accountability. The person who wrote the story shouldn't have used his name, and you shouldn't have repeated the story that was obviously false.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:00 pm
What I don't understand is why you've turned so hostile so quickly.

Rather than stating evidence (doing so probably wasn't even necessary) to debate whether or not Einstein took part in the story in a calm and mature manner, you decided to attack me and everyone who stated that "it was possible", as if we were stubborn.

Quote:
Your disclaimer shouldn't be "There is no evidence that this is true", it should be "This story is complete nonsense and I should know better, but I like to drop names because it makes me sound like I have more credibility".

If you read our posts, we didn't argue with you, we didn't say our claims were absolute. Putting that into account, there should not have been conflict.

Personally, I don't think Ferret is at fault with anything. She did not argue that the young boy was Einstein. She didn't try to support that claim in any way. She didn't do anything. All she did was share an story she came across.

You are overreacting and you are ticking people off.  

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:48 pm
William C. Wonka
What I don't understand is why you've turned so hostile so quickly.

I turned hostile because a man whom I admire is having his name used in a way ill-fitting his actual character, and the person doing so should know better.

If there was serious contention that this story had some validity to it, then it'd be another story. But there isn't. The story is clearly a fabrication, and throwing Einstein's name in there is clearly just a ploy to capitalize on his popularity.

What I don't understand is why you're defending this garbage. There is no positive side to what's being done here. The story is fairly interesting to some people (re: not me), but there is no conceiveable defense for using Einstein's name.

William C. Wonka
Rather than stating evidence (doing so probably wasn't even necessary) to debate whether or not Einstein took part in the story in a calm and mature manner, you decided to attack me and everyone who stated that "it was possible", as if we were stubborn.

Because they're all at fault. "Well, it's possible!" isn't an excuse.

And, this isn't a debate. No one's claimed that Einstein actually said that, so there's been no debate about that. The problem isn't with the validity of the story, but with the people who keep repeating it despite the fact that it abuses the name of a respectable man.

William C. Wonka
Personally, I don't think Ferret is at fault with anything. She did not argue that the young boy was Einstein. She didn't try to support that claim in any way. She didn't do anything. All she did was share an story she came across.

But by sharing this story, ferret is perpetuating the idea that this story has some sort of validity to it. Now that this story has been posted here, the people who read it may believe that it's true (or at least has the possibility of being true), spreading the deception.

For example, if I heard of a rumor that a friend of mine was cheating on his girlfriend, but I knew that it was almost certainly not true, then wouldn't I be at fault if I continued to spread this rumor?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:27 pm
No, but if it wasn't your friend, it'd be different. Don't try and tell me that you never gossiped, or told white lies.

Perhaps you know a great deal about Einstein. You understand him to an extent. Ferret, however, might not share that knowledge.

In other words, she didn't spread a rumor about a "friend". She told what she heard about someone she knew existed but didn't necessarily know personally.  

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:44 pm
William C. Wonka
No, but if it wasn't your friend, it'd be different. Don't try and tell me that you never gossiped, or told white lies.

Even if it was someone I didn't like, I still shouldn't do it, since the same problem exists. I might do it anyways, but I'm also not a very good person, so it all works out.

William C. Wonka
Perhaps you know a great deal about Einstein. You understand him to an extent. Ferret, however, might not share that knowledge.

As a matter of fact, I don't know much about Einstein. But since he is a public figure, I have a fair bit of knowledge about him.

More importantly, if I were to tell someone a story about him, I'd have the common sense to Google/Wikipedia/some other quick form of research his name to check its validity.

William C. Wonka
In other words, she didn't spread a rumor about a "friend". She told what she heard about someone she knew existed but didn't necessarily know personally.

Okay, so now she's spreading rumors about a stranger. Although it may be easier, how is that better?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:08 pm
Here's my point...

Had she gossiped vocally, rather than through a forum, you wouldn't find it as big a deal. Just because it was typed doesn't make it any better or worse than when spoken orally.

You said yourself that you might do the same, adding that you're "not a very good person" (perhaps in good humor).

"any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her".

There's that, and there's this...

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

This is crucial especially because we are in a Christian forum.

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:56 pm
William C. Wonka
Here's my point...

Had she gossiped vocally, rather than through a forum, you wouldn't find it as big a deal. Just because it was typed doesn't make it any better or worse than when spoken orally.

This is a joke, right?

If someone told this ridiculous story vocally, I'd still be irritated. Where did you get this ridiculous notion?

William C. Wonka
You said yourself that you might do the same, adding that you're "not a very good person" (perhaps in good humor).

"any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her".

There's that, and there's this...

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

This is crucial especially because we are in a Christian forum.

Jolly good. None of which invalidates my point at all, of course, but jolly good nonetheless.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:27 pm
Sinner
This is a joke, right?

If someone told this ridiculous story vocally, I'd still be irritated. Where did you get this ridiculous notion?

I assumed you were more tolerant in the real world than the forum world. I guess you're just easily offended.
...which could be dangerous.

Quote:
Jolly good. None of which invalidates my point at all, of course, but jolly good nonetheless.

...your point being that someone is to blame for something, correct?

I'm saying that by accusing Ferret from "gossiping", you are being hypocritical...to a certain extent. You yourself admitted that you might do the same. Therefore, you have no right to throw accusations. You can't throw any rocks.  

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:18 pm
Are you finished ad homineming around yet? Just tell me when you're done.

This isn't about me. This is about my assertion that ferret shouldn't have posted this story, particularly in its current form. While I may have any number of faults, none of them invalidate my point because I'm not claiming the moral high ground. I'm not saying "I'm better than you because you said that," I'm saying "You shouldn't have said that because it is deceptive and misleading."

William C. Wonka
You can't throw any rocks.

I think I already did.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 pm
I'll try to be done after this post.

Sinner

This isn't about me.

That's funny. You seem to be the only one that's offended.

Quote:

I'm not claiming the moral high ground.

You're overreacting is what you're doing.

Quote:
I'm not saying "I'm better than you because you said that," I'm saying "You shouldn't have said that because it is deceptive and misleading."

No, you're saying "Don't say things I don't like hearing", because, like I said, no one cares too much about this except you.

Look at the poll. I could only assume you are the one person who voted "Nah, not really".
Quote:

William C. Wonka
You can't throw any rocks.

I think I already did.

Well, in that case, you had no right to.  

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:11 pm
William C. Wonka
That's funny. You seem to be the only one that's offended.

Okay.

That doesn't mean that I'm wrong, however. Just because I'm the only one who cares that misinformation is being spread doesn't mean that it should continue.

William C. Wonka
You're overreacting is what you're doing.

See above.

William C. Wonka
Quote:
I'm not saying "I'm better than you because you said that," I'm saying "You shouldn't have said that because it is deceptive and misleading."

No, you're saying "Don't say things I don't like hearing", because, like I said, no one cares too much about this except you.

See above.

This is getting awfully easy.

William C. Wonka
Well, in that case, you had no right to.

Which still doesn't invalidate my point.

Amazing, how you have completely failed to do that.

Look, if you think I'm overreacting, that's fine. I haven't argued against that. And I really don't care right now, because I'm still arguing against this:

Quote:

I argued against this, and your ad hominems haven't done anything to support it. So how about we resolve this, then we move onto whether or not my reaction is absolutely, 100% justified.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:40 pm
Sinner

I argued against this, and your ad hominems haven't done anything to support it.

I'm trying to say that the fact that you're overreacting makes your opinion on this matter irrelovent, because this whole argument (whether or not Ferret is guilty of anything) is fueled off of something that may not be reasonable.

By verifying this, we'll determine whether or not you thinking Ferret committed slander is sensible or not.

Quote:

...then we move onto whether or not my reaction is absolutely, 100% justified.

I believe we already established that.

((I'm going to go to sleep...brb evr'body.)))  

William Che King

Sinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:59 pm
William C. Wonka
I'm trying to say that the fact that you're overreacting makes your opinion on this matter irrelovent, because this whole argument (whether or not Ferret is guilty of anything) is fueled off of something that may not be reasonable.

By verifying this, we'll determine whether or not you thinking Ferret committed slander is sensible or not.

Classic, 100% ad hominem. My personal reaction has no bearing on the validity of my point.

You do get that it's a fallacy, right?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:55 pm
Sinner, a link to Snopes would have been sufficient.

Now all of you cool it before I drop this thread in the debate forum.  

Tarrou

William Che King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:19 pm
Ya know what? I just woke up from a beautiful sleep, and I am feeling fan~tastic.

For the sake of staying that way, I'm going drop it after this post.

Sinner...you seem very familiar with the term "Ad Hominem".

Perhaps you didn't realize it...

...I did not intend to attack you, yet I agree, I dealt one out.

In that respect...by constantly implying that all I wanted to do was indignify you, you have offended me, trying to make me seem like a monster.

You see where I'm getting at? By implying that I used ad hominem arguments, you yourself presented an ad hominem.

Thank you for clearing that up, Tangled...although, it woulda helped if you shared this with us earlier.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff