nah, not really
  i dont really care
  goldgoldgold
View Results

ferretfan1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 pm
there is no actual proof that this story is true, but its still a cool story:

Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 pm
Sigh.

What makes these "inspirational" stories so appealing when they aren't true? There are plenty of true stories out there that could are "inspirational", and they don't disparage the name of perfectly good scientists.  

Sinner

William Che King

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:07 pm
It is true that Einstein was a Theist, though. I don't know if he had a certain religion he followed, but he did believe in a God.

I heard the story before, but...it didn't state that it was from Einstein. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.

But if it was, it'd be awesome.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 am
cool story.. if it is or isn't from Einstein doesn't matter... the fact is is that it's proven that is evil is the reflection of Gods love mercie and grace... light can get dark away but dark can't get light away  

ossirian

Vocal_Anjel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:44 am
true or not its still a good story. im going to share it with everyone!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 am
William C. Wonka
I heard the story before, but...it didn't state that it was from Einstein. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.

But if it was, it'd be awesome.

It wasn't. The original version of the story didn't include Einstein's name - that was included later as a way to lend false credibility to an otherwise unremarkable story.

Don't you get it, people? By throwing Einstein's name in here, even with a disclaimer saying that it might not be true, you're spreading the idea that Einstein actually said or believed this. Which he didn't. There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that this story is in any way true. Your disclaimer shouldn't be "There is no evidence that this is true", it should be "This story is complete nonsense and I should know better, but I like to drop names because it makes me sound like I have more credibility".  

Sinner

ossirian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 pm
that might be treu.. but i don't care much if it was einstein or not.. it's just a great story and that's it  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:22 pm
Sinner
Sigh.

What makes these "inspirational" stories so appealing when they aren't true? There are plenty of true stories out there that could are "inspirational", and they don't disparage the name of perfectly good scientists.
Yeah I agree with you. If they aren't real then just list it as a fictional story. Don't say Einstien actually said it if he didn't.  

GO-YAFFA

Princessofwhatever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:51 pm
i heard the exact same story a long time ago excepty it didnt say that that student was Einstein. I luv that story biggrin .  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:58 pm
Wow! This is awesome! and entirely true! This really neat!
How'd you come across it? Man I'm overly excited huh? lol whee
Well anyway this is really cool!  

Niamae

William Che King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 pm
Don't make it such a big deal out of this. You seem like you're angry at someone. It's not like Ferretfan did anything.

Whether or not it was Einstein, the story was alright. None of us claim that he was, in fact, that student.

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

Seriously.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:40 am
William C. Wonka
Don't make it such a big deal out of this. You seem like you're angry at someone. It's not like Ferretfan did anything.

Whether or not it was Einstein, the story was alright. None of us claim that he was, in fact, that student.

However, to even use his name in such a manner implies that there is some sort of evidence or reasoning to connect this story and Einstein.

It's the equivalent of me saying "I don't know if this is actually true, but I heard Jesus eats babies." I'm not claiming that it's true, but by even saying it I'm implying that there is some sort of validity to it.  

Sinner

William Che King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:27 am
I find your comparison a bit extreme, though I see your inent.

However...

Claiming that Jesus ate babies has the potential to negatively affect His reputation.

I don't see how stating that the dialogue belonged to Einstein can hurt anyone (especially among us, who have Faith).

It is most likely that Einstein did NOT confront the professor, but if people are convinced that it was, they would think little of it, if not nothing. Considering he was, in fact, a Theist (someone who believes a God exists), it wouldn't surprise many.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 am
William C. Wonka
I don't see how stating that the dialogue belonged to Einstein can hurt anyone (especially among us, who have Faith).

Attributing such a trite and ridiculous speech as "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself... (etc.)" is damaging to any reputation. Hell, my reputation is far worse than Einstein's, and I'd be deeply ashamed if I ever said something so inane.

But even worse is lying about his beliefs. While he was a theist, he was certainly much more of a pantheist or a Deist than anything else. He repeatedly rejected the notion of a "personal God", or any deity who concerns itself with the fates and actions of human beings. To say that he believed that "Evil is simply the absence of God" or "Evil is a result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart." is clearly inconsistent with his beliefs.

Einstein did not do what this story says, and almost certainly did not believe what this story says. If that makes him more disagreeable to you people with "Faith", then fine, he's disagreeable, and you should learn to live with it and not misrepresent his ideas so they match your own.  

Sinner

ferretfan1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm
Quote:
Don't you get it, people? By throwing Einstein's name in here, even with a disclaimer saying that it might not be true, you're spreading the idea that Einstein actually said or believed this. Which he didn't. There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that this story is in any way true. Your disclaimer shouldn't be "There is no evidence that this is true", it should be "This story is complete nonsense and I should know better, but I like to drop names because it makes me sound like I have more credibility".

Attributing such a trite and ridiculous speech as "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself... (etc.)" is damaging to any reputation. Hell, my reputation is far worse than Einstein's, and I'd be deeply ashamed if I ever said something so inane.

But even worse is lying about his beliefs. While he was a theist, he was certainly much more of a pantheist or a Deist than anything else. He repeatedly rejected the notion of a "personal God", or any deity who concerns itself with the fates and actions of human beings. To say that he believed that "Evil is simply the absence of God" or "Evil is a result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart." is clearly inconsistent with his beliefs.

Einstein did not do what this story says, and almost certainly did not believe what this story says. If that makes him more disagreeable to you people with "Faith", then fine, he's disagreeable, and you should learn to live with it and not misrepresent his ideas so they match your own.
LOOK, I DID NOT ADD EINSTEINS NAME TOO IT, I GOT THIS STORY IN AN EMAIL AN I THOUGHT IT WAS AN INTERESTING STORY TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL. I KNOW THAT YOU ARE EXPRESSING WAT YOU THINK, AND THATS GOOD. BUT BY THE WAY YOU SOUND, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU INTENDED ALL THAT BLAMING TOWARDS ME, AND IF I OFFENDED YOU THAT BADLY, THAN I AM TRULY SORRY. BUT I DID NOT CREATE THIS STORY, NOR PUT EINSTEINS NAME IN IT.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff