Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Altars, shrines and the differences Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 am
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821
i see...well i seem to have a homework assignment to follow lol.

I was looking for a deity that works with history. I'm a history fanatic and plan on being a teacher (history is the ultimate teacher) and i was refereed to athena, minerva, bridget odin and saga. Although they did not represent history directly they did have an element involving poetry, which was the tool to teach history.
I think that kind of loose association is good for some things and not others- like, poetry was a way to record history, but I bet more people were like "Hey son, that hill over there was where your great grandfather died protecting the village"- and at the same time, poetry was used to talk about lots of stuff and not just history- so if you're looking at a Venn Diagram of "History" and "Poetry", trying to shove a god or goddess into the overlap doesn't seem like ti would be respectful.

good point, ive picked those deities because of a lack of clear answer to "which gods represents history" lol There was no direct answer so that's what caused the loosed connection between history-> poetry

i still would like to continue searching for a patron god around my love of history but I just cant seem to find one other then Clio (who is a muse in greek mythology) but theres not much information on her
What religion are you again?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 am
Morgandria
http://morgandria.tumblr.com/post/16026556369/altars-and-shrines-are-different-from-one-another

That's my take on the subject. It doesn't really say anything that the others haven't.

You might want to approach deities who have influence over time, rather than looking at it purely as 'history'. Past, present, and future may not appear to the Gods in the same way they do to our current society. I personally don't believe in linear time, myself, but rather that things move in a spiral.

You can 'seek' a Patron all you like - it doesn't mean you have one, or ever will. We don't get to choose our patron deities, and not everyone will have one, or even need one. Not everyone is meant to be a priest or priestess. It's a vocation, and one that's about service. You shouldn't rush into it, and you can't push such a relationship onto a deity that you think is perfect, but wants nothing to do with you. You can't force it to be.

It's a very serious, life-changing relationship to have. It's not like having a super-powered divine buddy who fixes your life and then pisses off without wanting anything in return. You're there to provide for their needs, and if you give them what they need, they might reciprocate for you: a gift for a gift. Deities don't care if it's inconvenient, difficult, expensive, or embarrassing - they want what they want, when they want it.

The best you can do? Introduce yourself to the deities that interest you, politely. Create a working relationship. And don't expect or agitate towards a deeper or more intimate relationship than that - if a deity wishes that, they will initiate it. If not, at least you still have a polite, functioning working relationship!

Its most certainly something i havent considered in that way. I havent really known how to progress with this because for sometime I've had a generic sense of god and goddess so the fact that Ive been looking to actual named figures....is different. :/  

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am
Esiris
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821
i see...well i seem to have a homework assignment to follow lol.

I was looking for a deity that works with history. I'm a history fanatic and plan on being a teacher (history is the ultimate teacher) and i was refereed to athena, minerva, bridget odin and saga. Although they did not represent history directly they did have an element involving poetry, which was the tool to teach history.
I think that kind of loose association is good for some things and not others- like, poetry was a way to record history, but I bet more people were like "Hey son, that hill over there was where your great grandfather died protecting the village"- and at the same time, poetry was used to talk about lots of stuff and not just history- so if you're looking at a Venn Diagram of "History" and "Poetry", trying to shove a god or goddess into the overlap doesn't seem like ti would be respectful.

good point, ive picked those deities because of a lack of clear answer to "which gods represents history" lol There was no direct answer so that's what caused the loosed connection between history-> poetry

i still would like to continue searching for a patron god around my love of history but I just cant seem to find one other then Clio (who is a muse in greek mythology) but theres not much information on her
What religion are you again?

well...idk really know what would be the exact term for it but Its just a generic god a goddess and an energy source. I havent really dwelt much with names or other figures yet except now....  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 am
caesar821

well...idk really know what would be the exact term for it but Its just a generic god a goddess and an energy source. I havent really dwelt much with names or other figures yet except now....

I don't want you to take this the wrong way- but I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a "generic god and goddess" because to me there aren't any gods that are generic, because they're themselves.

Did you mean that you don't know who they are? Can you describe them? Have they reached out to you?

Or did you decide that you wanted to worship a god and goddess because you came across the idea and haven't taken the next steps?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am
Esiris
caesar821

I don't want you to take this the wrong way- but I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a "generic god and goddess" because to me there aren't any gods that are generic, because they're themselves.

Did you mean that you don't know who they are? Can you describe them? Have they reached out to you?

Or did you decide that you wanted to worship a god and goddess because you came across the idea and haven't taken the next steps?

When i say "generic" its is just because I did not come across any names in particular and although I believed in something I just did not feel any pull to one particular name or imagery. I'm not sure about descriptions.

I do believe in a god and goddess but i did say that if I got a name or something along those lines then I would use it.

Now that this has all come up I'm just overwhelmed...and not sure what else to add.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 am
caesar821

When i say "generic" its is just because I did not come across any names in particular and although I believed in something I just did not feel any pull to one particular name or imagery. I'm not sure about descriptions.

I do believe in a god and goddess but i did say that if I got a name or something along those lines then I would use it.

Now that this has all come up I'm just overwhelmed...and not sure what else to add.

Try thinking about your god and goddess- Do they exist in addition to the other gods and goddesses in other religions?

Try not to get too overwhelmed- it will be ok. cat_3nodding  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:48 am
Esiris
caesar821

Try thinking about your god and goddess- Do they exist in addition to the other gods and goddesses in other religions?

Try not to get too overwhelmed- it will be ok. cat_3nodding

I guess I see it as deities are all independent in their own way but still a piece of a larger whole. Sorta like in Hindu where the physical entities are different but there is still the God head that interconnects everything.

hopefully that makes sense...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 am
caesar821

I guess I see it as deities are all independent in their own way but still a piece of a larger whole. Sorta like in Hindu where the physical entities are different but there is still the God head that interconnects everything.

Ok- that makes sense to me.

Can I ask you a bunch of questions about your god and goddess and see where it goes?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am
Esiris
caesar821

Ok- that makes sense to me.

Can I ask you a bunch of questions about your god and goddess and see where it goes?

be my guest. I know this is going to help get a better understanding of myself and what I believe. I just need someone to help me organize everything and better explain things in this great world lol.

I'll try to answer as detailed as possible  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:55 am
First questions then:
Describe what your god does
Describe what your goddess does

And are they lovers  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:05 am
Esiris
First questions then:
Describe what your god does
Describe what your goddess does

And are they lovers

the God is a factor of masculinity in the universe while the Goddess is obviously for the feminine. beyond that they both really share duties because I try to ask both of them and address both in my prayers, rituals etc. etc. etc.

as for lovers??? Ive never really thought of it but yes I would describe them as being joined together  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:07 am
caesar821

the God is a factor of masculinity in the universe while the Goddess is obviously for the feminine. beyond that they both really share duties because I try to ask both of them and address both in my prayers, rituals etc. etc. etc.

as for lovers??? Ive never really thought of it but yes I would describe them as being joined together

Ok- that's a start, so your gods are about gender? What are their "duties"? You mentioned they share them- but you didn't say what they were.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 am
Esiris
caesar821

Ok- that's a start, so your gods are about gender? What are their "duties"? You mentioned they share them- but you didn't say what they were.

I wouldn't sat they are about gender. To me it just sorta was there

perhaps duties was a bad example because it sounds like they are assigned to do something. I just mention both of them in my prayers and rituals  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am
caesar821
Esiris
caesar821

I wouldn't sat they are about gender. To me it just sorta was there

perhaps duties was a bad example because it sounds like they are assigned to do something. I just mention both of them in my prayers and rituals

When you prey- what do you prey?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am
Esiris

When you prey- what do you prey?

umm...for protection, my family and friends. To keep me hard working and ever moving towards my goals. For further understanding of the world and guidance in life. If I'm doing anything wrong for them to contact me in someway. if there was something different happening in my life I would add that in accordance.

ex: a friend of mine was in the hospital so I mentioned her in more detail  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games