Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Works of Fiction Involving the Practice Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14 pm
You know, for a mainstream cartoon, I thoght 'Witch's Ghost" was all right. Not the distinction between witch and wiccan--because A: Wiccans exist only in coven format, B:Every Wiccan is a witch, not every Witch is a Wiccan--but the perseption of Wiccans being healers and herb-workers--which, essentially, is and was true. That and it kinda-sorta teaches kids to tolerate Wiccans, instead of persecuting them. Though of course they still think Witches are evil and apparently Magick is genetic, but again, for a mainstream cartoon, you have to give it props.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 pm
i've stumbled across one that i think is a good example. it's a movie called The Good Witch. it's more of a family-feel-good film along with some awkward acting, but it still portrays witches in a good light. the lady in it performs magic that i think is more real that the twitch-your-nose, hocus-pocus-*poof*-you're-a-frog stuff and never actually says she's a witch in the movie, but everyone else thinks she is (and she implies it at the end with a knowing smile).  

whiporwill-o

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm
too2sweet
Seeing Afro-Dawg's post reminded me - really bad examples of witchcraft in TV shows. Bones (Season 5, Episode 20: The Witch in the Wardrobe) and House (Season 6, Episode 17: Knight Fall). The Bones episode I haven't actually watched, but I've heard really bad things about it (summoning demons and what not); on House, the guy's BOS was the Necronomicon. gonk
I totally forgot about that part of that House episode and I watched that episode last week. I remember the episode with "big head guy" back in like season 5 I think it was where Wilson jokingly told the camera crew that House was Wiccan. But for Knight Fall I wouldn't completely write it off as bad just because his BOS was the Nerconomicon. To me it seemed like everything else was normal.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
too2sweet
Seeing Afro-Dawg's post reminded me - really bad examples of witchcraft in TV shows. Bones (Season 5, Episode 20: The Witch in the Wardrobe) and House (Season 6, Episode 17: Knight Fall). The Bones episode I haven't actually watched, but I've heard really bad things about it (summoning demons and what not); on House, the guy's BOS was the Necronomicon. gonk
I totally forgot about that part of that House episode and I watched that episode last week. I remember the episode with "big head guy" back in like season 5 I think it was where Wilson jokingly told the camera crew that House was Wiccan. But for Knight Fall I wouldn't completely write it off as bad just because his BOS was the Nerconomicon. To me it seemed like everything else was normal.

The problem I have though, and the reason why it makes the rest of the episode worthless (even if it was absolutely spot on - which it's not, and it would be worse if it was), is that book is sooo much of a joke, and yet an alarming number of people actually take it seriously (or at least seriously try to base their practices off of it). So you end up with people seeing the episode and thinking - "hey those practices look somewhat authentic, so the use of that book must be as well", just makes for more spreading of misinformation. I'd rather a show/movie/book be blatant about misrepresenting, then mix and match, and give the illusion that it might be an authentic representation.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 am
whiporwill-o
i've stumbled across one that i think is a good example. it's a movie called The Good Witch. it's more of a family-feel-good film along with some awkward acting, but it still portrays witches in a good light. the lady in it performs magic that i think is more real that the twitch-your-nose, hocus-pocus-*poof*-you're-a-frog stuff and never actually says she's a witch in the movie, but everyone else thinks she is (and she implies it at the end with a knowing smile).

They have a couple sequels too.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm
too2sweet
The problem I have though, and the reason why it makes the rest of the episode worthless (even if it was absolutely spot on - which it's not, and it would be worse if it was), is that book is sooo much of a joke, and yet an alarming number of people actually take it seriously (or at least seriously try to base their practices off of it). So you end up with people seeing the episode and thinking - "hey those practices look somewhat authentic, so the use of that book must be as well", just makes for more spreading of misinformation. I'd rather a show/movie/book be blatant about misrepresenting, then mix and match, and give the illusion that it might be an authentic representation.
Oh ok. I knew there were people out there trying to use the Nerconomicon. Didn't think about the rest of the people who would see that and try to make it work.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games