Welcome to Gaia! ::

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Back to Guilds

Guild to teach, learn or talk about japanese language and culture 

Tags: Anime, Contest, Japanese, Giveaway, Free 

Reply Passport Japan日本のパスポート
how much money does it actually take to go to Japan? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sontasia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:06 pm
Quote:
AMCApril

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 pm
so if I wanted to go

I should first get though college and then pay back the fed government loan and then plan about money to go to Japan or whatever else i wanna go???

i never been outside of the usa
icon_sad.gif

I know the feeling. I also have not had the chance to travel outside of the United States. I've been saving money though, so I'm hoping to be able to go to Japan sometime next year.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 pm
It really depends on where you live and what airlines.
I've personally had a good experience through Asiana so I'd go through that.

From where I live in the U.S. it'll cost me about $3,000 dollars for a month, including hotel fees.
Plus other expenses so total would be $3500.

iGoRawrX

9,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Generous 100

Hayash1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:45 pm
iGoRawrX
It really depends on where you live and what airlines.
I've personally had a good experience through Asiana so I'd go through that.

From where I live in the U.S. it'll cost me about $3,000 dollars for a month, including hotel fees.
Plus other expenses so total would be $3500.

How do you only spend 500 dollars in a month in Japan? o.O That'd be impossible for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm
That's actually my minimum gonk
I know that it costs a lot more if I want to get all the stuff I want to get.
Plus my friends are also going so food costs a bit less since I know how to cook :]

iGoRawrX

9,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Generous 100

Tai Yukimura
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm
yea 500 a month? thats like if you stay in closet and ration ramen for a month i went last spring $600-800 for the ticket and depending how long you want to stay maybe $1,000- $2,500 for at least a week  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:47 pm
When we went during high school Japanese class, it was $1500 round trip ticket and depending on where you choose to stay, it can be anywhere from $5-600 extra for cost food, shelter, and small provisions. And then it'll get expensive if you're like me and bought a ton of other stuff. So all together I'd say take at least $3-4000 with you for basics and a little extra for fun. heart  

Gabby_lover19

3,750 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:20 pm
My middle school had a program, and I wasn't able to go medically but I was allowed to have a foreign exchange student stay with me and I still talk to her sometimes. I wish I would have been able to go. I can understand why my parents said no, but I still have so much anger about the whole situation. There where a few other issues involving my parent's company and money too. Than we moved.

I would buy the ticket as far in advance if you can so that you can save money.

My cousin flew from CA(She lives in AZ) and she went with her grandma who refused to fly Korean Air, I don't know why. Medically they where not able to buy the tickets in advance, so I believe they paid more. They stayed with family.

I want to save money, so I will probably look at the coast of flying from AZ to CA, but if I can save money with a Grayhound I might do that. Right now, I'm in TX, but I'm moving back to AZ. I could drive it, but I wouldn't want to leave my car in CA. I would want to go to Japan for 2 to 4 weeks.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 pm
wow that cost a lot of money. It would be impossible to save up money. So far it would take forever to save up money to afford going there. gosh. wow.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 am
It can be pretty expensive just getting there, but once you have that pricey plane ticket taken care of its not too bad. I spent a year there on a study abroad (which is besides the point, since most of you are more concerned with how much it costs to travel). During the spring I went on an extended trip in the kansai-ish area (Tokyo, kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Hiroshima, etc).

Hotels can get pretty pricey in Japan because they are usually priced per person rather than the room. My cousin and I cut down on costs by staying at hostels. You can find a good variety to choose from in Japan from around 2000 yen a night. If anyone wants some reccomendations I can tell you where we stayed.

Food can be pricey, expect meals to cost at least 600-700 yen and up. But to cut down on cost, buy lunch from a grocery store or conbini rather than doing more than one meal out per day. Onigiri are delicious, plentiful and cheap, usually around 100 yen each.

Travelling within Japan can be expensive. It's simplest to get the rail pass though it is quite expensive. Think carefully how much travelling you will be doing and price it out. Make sure that rail pass is worth your money! My cousin and I travelled for three weeks but she only bought a one week pass and we planned the travel days around that. It was way more cost effective.

Shinkansen rides are expensive. If you don't have a rail pass, consider your travel carefully, especially if you're going a long ways. The train ride from Sapporo to Osaka was around 30000 yen (300 dollars) one way for poor old me without a railpass.

If you plan to go long distances (ex. Sapporo to anywhere, really) flying is actually a lot cheaper and much faster. If you plan ahead and do your research you can get cheap flights. Its about 10000 yen (100 dollars) to fly one way Sapporo-Tokyo or Osaka. You just need to know what airlines to watch! Airdo is one of the discount companies. You need to be on the ball though, they sell 2 or 3 months in advance only and go quickly.

Well that turned out a lot longer than I was expecting... redface If anyone has any questions for me, go for it biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm
well it lot of money to pay for a ticket to go to Japan. some people are lucky to go to Japan. How much a ticket would cost if two trip to Japan and back at home? it would be crazy but it lot of money i don't how much the cost of it.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

dixie1love

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:06 pm
witchhunter123
so if I wanted to go

I should first get though college and then pay back the fed government loan and then plan about money to go to Japan or whatever else i wanna go???

i never been outside of the usa
sad

I hope you go to Japan!! For me through my school I had to pay $3,500. That's for living with a host family for 12 days. I wouldn't know the cost to stay in a hotel but it will be worth it! Hope you enjoy it when you are able to go.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:03 pm
It would depend on what you're going to do, where you're going to stay, how you're going to feed yourself, and what you're gong to buy.

Plane tickets can cost as little as $300 or can go into $2000+ depending on how you fly. It also depends where in Japan you're flying to.

If you're traveling, you'll need to allocate transportation costs and, depending on how much you want to travel/rely on public transport, that can end up being a lot. If you're on a Tourist Visa, I suggest getting a Rail Pass... it's way cheaper♥

You'd also have to pay for accommodation unless you're planning on sleeping in parks or at friends' houses. Depending where you stay that can cost a lot as well. Youth Hostels are apparently very good, and there probably are some cheap places you could find easily online.

Food is important too. You'll need to allocate food money, though some accommodation places offer food as well if you're traveling you'll have to buy food along the way anyway. So, food money is important.
You could find some cheap restaurants, or a take away food restaurant, or you could go to convenience stores for bentos.

Then there's spending money, depending on what you want to buy you'll probably be taking a lot of that.

Extra: You might want to buy a phone card before you go that you can use to call home while in Japan to talk to friends and family back in your own country if you don't want to take your own phone. (Or buy one there depending on how long you're staying)  

pay me in tea

Shy Dabbler

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:55 pm
I would have wanted to go to Japan but sadly I think it would be hard for me stay wake. So far I nap lot.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:00 am
If you are looking for a super inexpensive way to stay in Japan for say a month or two (depending on your countries visa restrictions) you should looking at WWOOF. It stands for willing workers on organic farms, basically you stay with a family in the country you want to go to (in this case Japan) and you work for them on their farm or what have, in return they give you a place to sleep and meals. That eliminates almost half you costs in food and accommodations.

That aside I planned a 2 week trip to Japan, flying from Halifax, NS and staying in 3 cities at a variety of accommodations for 5300$ Canadian a person. I could potentially lower the cost if I found a group and started booking group rates.

The 5300 includes:
-round trip air fare
-3 meals a day
-1000 (i think) in spending money
-japan rail pass
-attractions and sight seeing budget
-accommodations for 13 nights  

vagrant branwen

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:34 pm
Lucky you. So far I need the job. It gonna take a while.  
Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff