Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Debate on why the Titanic crashed::TITANIC AGAINST THE LORD? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gamja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:31 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
P4nda_Boi
I don't think God will just kill people for being mad... I mean look at all the people who sin nowadays...even ourselves. You think God would just kill us?

He's done it quite a few times before.

That's prior to Jesus coming to earth. Jesus made the bridge between God and ourselves so that we can freely talk to him. Before Jesus came, we weren't even allowed to go against what God said. Look what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah, the enemies of the Israelites, and even about the guy who was killed by God after laboring by collecting sticks. In the Old Testament, when people sinned, they sacrificed animals and offered the blood; otherwise, they'd end up dead. Now, we just ask for forgiveness... Besides, I haven't seen any people whom God killed in the New Testament just because He was "mad."  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:35 pm
there are times when God allows people to die for defieing him in the new testament
Acts 5:1-10
1 A man named Ananias, however, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property.
2 He retained for himself, with his wife's knowledge, some of the purchase price, took the remainder, and put it at the feet of the apostles.
3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart so that you lied to the holy Spirit and retained part of the price of the land?
4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain yours? And when it was sold, was it not still under your control? Why did you contrive this deed? You have lied not to human beings, but to God."
5 When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and breathed his last, and great fear came upon all who heard of it.
6 The young men came and wrapped him up, then carried him out and buried him.
7 After an interval of about three hours, his wife came in, unaware of what had happened.
8 Peter said to her, "Tell me, did you sell the land for this amount?" She answered, "Yes, for that amount."
9 Then Peter said to her, "Why did you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen, the footsteps of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out."
10 At once, she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. When the young men entered they found her dead, so they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

now it wasnt Gods rage and fire that killed them but their fear but it was still God  

knivesl

vampy dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 pm
The thing about Ananias and Saphira is the fact that they lied, not only to the apostles, but to God himself. God made an example out of them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:20 am
mistressofthelost
The thing about Ananias and Saphira is the fact that they lied, not only to the apostles, but to God himself. God made an example out of them.

God made an example out of Sodom and Gahmorah too the point is he still might do it

im not saying that This is the case in the titanic although if it is then it isnt because of the name it is because of the captains arrogance
and really who was on the ship no one knows?  

knivesl

Legends_of_Aloria

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:15 am
I read this thing in a book about this novel that was writen called the Futility and it predicted the Titanic sinking without even realizing it. The size, passenger capacity, everything was the same as the Titanic. The only difference is the fictional ship was called the Titan.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 pm
yeah, i agree with those that said it was named for its size, not a Greek god  

Seority

Haneul Security

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:01 pm
mistressofthelost

What I don't understand, is how can anyone lie to God, since he knows everything and stuff.

I can only imagine it:

-Man kills woman-
-Man sees God coming, so he scoots the woman's corpse under a rug-
-God asks man: "What's that under the rug"-
-Man says: "Oh nothing, just some dust bunnies"-

rofl  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:03 pm
Alchem_DeRogue
Ok Im watching this right now and they named the titanic for the Titans the enemies of The Lord and the Greek Gods(if ur Greek that is) well I think by naming it after the Enemies of God, it was destined to crash, for remember *cant remember verse #*

"Any who challenge the power of The Lord Will be smitened!"
I translated it simpler, but I cant remember the verse #..

Actually, thats not it I don't think.

I think its because someone said "The Titanic is so amazing, God can't even sink it"

Guess they were wrong, plus it was humans that did it, there was no "Suddenly it had a hole" they were goin way to fast trying to beat some time cause they were stupid and werent' watching. It wasn't anyones fault but the idiots who thought they could be careless and go real fas tthrough an area with ice burgs, and who the heck has more passengers then life boats?? thats just idiotic. Looks to me like it was more of a human error then an act of God, but saying God can't sink this ship probably didn't help.  

BDSaint13

torrinne

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm
There is this glorious thing that God gives us, which is called Free Will. That means we are responsible for what happens to us, not God. The titanic was cause and effect in action: You speed, sooner or later you hit something. You don't hear people saying "Oh, God made me hit that kid when I was drunk and speeding" do you? I don't. It wasn't God. People can kill themselves just fine without divine intervention.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 am
I think Titanic crashed because a guy on the ship said something like, "Nothing can make this ship sink! Not even God!!" That right there was wrong!  

Atarashi No Sensei

Ginger Snapple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:29 pm
I say the Titanic crashed because instead of taking a safer, longer route around the icebergs, they chose to take a faster route through an area known for icebergs to brake a speed record.
And that line was just a line for the movie I believe, I think it was to give some dramatic effect. The quote was "Not even God himself could sink this ship!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:43 am
Ginger Snapple
I say the Titanic crashed because instead of taking a safer, longer route around the icebergs, they chose to take a faster route through an area known for icebergs to brake a speed record.
And that line was just a line for the movie I believe, I think it was to give some dramatic effect. The quote was "Not even God himself could sink this ship!"
But God was in control of the ship.  

Atarashi No Sensei

Ginger Snapple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 pm
-Sunset Wahine-
Ginger Snapple

Mabye I'm wrong, but someone like that doesnt happen because God thinks everyone on the Titanic deserved to die. By giving us freewill he gave the captain the choice: go around the iceburgs and dont make record time or go through a well known iceburg hotspot and risk it all because your greedy and want people to notice you and respect and pay attention to you. So mabye it was the lure of Satan that caused the ship to crash?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:16 am
Ginger Snapple
-Sunset Wahine-
Ginger Snapple

Mabye I'm wrong, but someone like that doesnt happen because God thinks everyone on the Titanic deserved to die. By giving us freewill he gave the captain the choice: go around the iceburgs and dont make record time or go through a well known iceburg hotspot and risk it all because your greedy and want people to notice you and respect and pay attention to you. So mabye it was the lure of Satan that caused the ship to crash?
I just wanted to make a point....There are always consequences in saying God's name in vein.  

Atarashi No Sensei

Rin-heaRt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:50 pm
Okay, so i have been a Titanic freak since 2nd grade and I have done a considerable amount ot reading on this subject. To say that the Titanic was sunk because of it's name is not exactlycorrect. There were a number of reasons why the Titanic sank:

Not enough lifeboats (the laws at the time did not require enough lifeboats for the all the passengers just enough for the specific tonage. The Titanic was bigger than any ship of the time. Thomas Andrews had oringinally suggested more lifeboats than the 16 + 4 collaspable that were present)

Travelling to fast (Ismay amoung other put increasing pressure on Captain Smith to travel fast and during the night even though they were approaching heavy ice. )

Lookouts did not spot the iceberg until later (although in the movie it was because of Rose and Jack the fact that Fleet and the other lookouts did not spot the iceberg sooner could have been because they were distracted or due to the fact that there is a rumor that the binoculars were missing.)

Overconfidence in the 'watertight' compartments (the Titanic was equipped with 16 watertight compartments with 4 of these filled with water the ship could still float but not with 5 which was the case)

and the Captain (E.J. Smith) was not entirely to blame. However if you want to imply the God had influence on the sinking it could have possibly to keep humans from being overly cocky. After the Titanic maritme laws became a lot stricter. Without the Titanic even more disasters would have heppened before the laws were eventually changed.

Think about 9/11. After that incident America cracked down on airport security and security in general. Not to mention after the fact many people turned to God for help. The phrase 'God bless the USA' was said more often and people relyed on God more than before.
Back in 1912 a disaster like the Titanic was heard about all over the world and although people did not necessarily turn to God many other positive things happened as a result of the sinking of the Titanic.

I don't think the Titanic sang because it went against God but maybe just to teach a lesson. That does not mean that I think that everyone who died on the Titanic is evil and deserves to die.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff