Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Ankh = Wiccan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WTF?!
  Exactally!
View Results

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Being used by Wiccans doesn't make it a Wiccan symbol. Some Wiccans use Runes, iirc, but if you are suggesting that makes them Wiccan also I will have to disagree with extreme prejudice, that is, with an axe.

I feel that it is possible for symbols to belong within multiple groups and that we do not need to limit this belonging to the origin of the symbol because when we wish to discuss it in terms of where the symbol initially came from, we can specify such.

I was able to remember where I had seen the use of the Ankh though, it is inscribed upon the sickle in The Key of Solomon. It's still tickling the back of my mind, as it may have also been inscribed on a pentacle.

I do not feel the mere use of something by a member of the religion would make it part of that religion, but if the religion has it as a sacred part of their customs, it would stand to reason it is part of the religion even if it didn't originate within it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:34 am
Except anyone who knows anything about the ankh should already know it's an Egyptian symbol, not a symbol of Wicca, or at all related to witchcraft. They teach that s**t in elementary school.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 am
Not even elementary school. They barely go into it. I used to be big on Eqypt and the mummies. It was used as a symbol of life. And the Pharaohs when they died held an ankh in their right hand crossed over their ******** I could give a pretty good detailed explanation on the whole mummification process if I wanted to.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 pm
Yea, it really aggravated me, but I took different classes than my brother and I have no clue what my mom was taught in school. I took a ton of art classes and we were always doing old method art techniques and incorporating ancient cultures into our classes. I would say it is common sense, but I have no clue what schools are teaching now.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 am
xLady Tsukiyox
Not even elementary school. They barely go into it. I used to be big on Eqypt and the mummies. It was used as a symbol of life. And the Pharaohs when they died held an ankh in their right hand crossed over their ******** I could give a pretty good detailed explanation on the whole mummification process if I wanted to.
Huh.. Maybe middle school then? I don't remember, but I know it was definitely before high school. Learned about egypt and the pyramids and some of the symbols. I remember part of the lesson was to make your own letter/symbol guide that looks egyptiany.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 am
kage no neko
xLady Tsukiyox
Huh.. Maybe middle school then? I don't remember, but I know it was definitely before high school. Learned about egypt and the pyramids and some of the symbols. I remember part of the lesson was to make your own letter/symbol guide that looks egyptiany.
There was an issue of Disney Adventures back in the 1990's that did a little special on Eqypt and mummification. That's how I learned about it. But my elementary schools that I went to were different...so I dunno..  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 am
kage no neko
Except anyone who knows anything about the ankh should already know it's an Egyptian symbol, not a symbol of Wicca, or at all related to witchcraft.

I am afraid I must disagree since it appears that while the ankh has it's origins in Ancient Egypt, it is not limited to use there.

Since other forms of magic have incorporated the symbol, I do not feel that the claim it isn't related to witchcraft can be accurate. I am also unsure as to if Wiccans use the symbol or not, and while I intend to ask the Queen I am in contact with, it isn't a high priority.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am
kage no neko
I've an ankh that I wore for most of my middle school and high school life. I've been depressed for a very long time, and was very suicidal in middle school. It was my little reminder to live.
I got asked about it a few times, asked what it means and if it's related to witchcraft. No, it's just the egyptian symbol for life, nothing related to witchcraft.

Just because he's tattooing it, doesn't mean he knows what it means. Or else people wouldn't get chinese characters meaning fartface thinking they mean beauty.

acually there are also tattoo artist who get pissed and acually write things like said "fartface" because they know the person they are tattooing doesn't know what it means (like my tattoo artist, which is why we never tick him off xd ) that why my friend come to me to find write and translate the character for them...

i get asked if my fae star (the septagram [7 point star]) is a pentacle, i just say count the point, see there are "7" and the prefix "penta-" means five....

other time i just say its a snowflake -_- when stupid people feel like asking me about it  

surukio

bobkitty1123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:13 am
Oh, no. I'ts fine. They are ignorant. I can't stand when my mom mixes ignorant and rude. They mean two different things. But if you call her out on it she will bite your head off.

So I left the book on her bed and bookmarked the pages I wanted her to read. When I got home her attitude was a good bit different. I expected to find the book thrown on my floor, but it was still in her room until a few minutes ago. And she put it on my bed. The really weird thing is that she has an opal that she will not wear. She heard that if opal is not your birthstone that it is bad luck. She wore it twice and bad things happened both days. So I clensed it and put it back in her jewelry box and asked if she would wear it. She said no. I didn't tell her I clensed it because I know the look I will get if I do. But it's like she believes in witchcraft, but is in denial because she was raised Catholic. But that's for another thread.

My best friend's mom is a devote Christian though her husband is Jewish and she is absolutely against witchcraft of any kind. My friend is not religious as all though. Her mom tells her not to mess around with tarot cards but then has her own deck. She doesn't believe in spirits/ghosts but she is afraid of them. It is just so weird.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:55 am
bobkitty1123
Aakosir
Oh, no. I'ts fine. They are ignorant. I can't stand when my mom mixes ignorant and rude. They mean two different things. But if you call her out on it she will bite your head off.

So I left the book on her bed and bookmarked the pages I wanted her to read. When I got home her attitude was a good bit different. I expected to find the book thrown on my floor, but it was still in her room until a few minutes ago. And she put it on my bed. The really weird thing is that she has an opal that she will not wear. She heard that if opal is not your birthstone that it is bad luck. She wore it twice and bad things happened both days. So I clensed it and put it back in her jewelry box and asked if she would wear it. She said no. I didn't tell her I clensed it because I know the look I will get if I do. But it's like she believes in witchcraft, but is in denial because she was raised Catholic. But that's for another thread.

My best friend's mom is a devote Christian though her husband is Jewish and she is absolutely against witchcraft of any kind. My friend is not religious as all though. Her mom tells her not to mess around with tarot cards but then has her own deck. She doesn't believe in spirits/ghosts but she is afraid of them. It is just so weird.

My mom is kind of like that. Kind of. She doesn't really claim to be much more than Methodist anymore. She does not go to church, but she has become a little hypocritical lately. Yes, she is going through a lot of stress, but that does not give her an excuse to act the way she has been. I've been stressed for the past three years and I'm not going around telling people to shut up after she has always told us never to say it, and cursing even though she tells us to not curse... It's just odd what people do when they are stressed.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am
surukio
kage no neko
I've an ankh that I wore for most of my middle school and high school life. I've been depressed for a very long time, and was very suicidal in middle school. It was my little reminder to live.
I got asked about it a few times, asked what it means and if it's related to witchcraft. No, it's just the egyptian symbol for life, nothing related to witchcraft.

Just because he's tattooing it, doesn't mean he knows what it means. Or else people wouldn't get chinese characters meaning fartface thinking they mean beauty.

acually there are also tattoo artist who get pissed and acually write things like said "fartface" because they know the person they are tattooing doesn't know what it means (like my tattoo artist, which is why we never tick him off xd ) that why my friend come to me to find write and translate the character for them...

i get asked if my fae star (the septagram [7 point star]) is a pentacle, i just say count the point, see there are "7" and the prefix "penta-" means five....

other time i just say its a snowflake -_- when stupid people feel like asking me about it

Yea, I'm pretty sure in high school math we all were taught the prefixes for the numbers. Tri= 3, Quad= 4, Penta= 5, Sex/Sept= 6, and so on and so forth... I love when people ask if a pentacle is a Jewish star! For one, it is called the Star of David and two it has 5 points, not 6... Gr...  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 am
Brass Bell Doll
kage no neko
Except anyone who knows anything about the ankh should already know it's an Egyptian symbol, not a symbol of Wicca, or at all related to witchcraft.

I am afraid I must disagree since it appears that while the ankh has it's origins in Ancient Egypt, it is not limited to use there.

Since other forms of magic have incorporated the symbol, I do not feel that the claim it isn't related to witchcraft can be accurate. I am also unsure as to if Wiccans use the symbol or not, and while I intend to ask the Queen I am in contact with, it isn't a high priority.
Hmmm. I suppose I'd have to agree a bit, in thinking about it. There is egyptian witchcraft, so it could definitely be related to witchcraft somehow.. but I think it'd be incorrect to say that the ankh is a symbol of witchcraft. To me, it sounds like it's referring to witchcraft as a whole, that it is always used.

And I'd also have to say, that while I do not believe the ankh is used in Wicca, that I am not Wiccan and can not say for certain.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 am
kage no neko
There is egyptian witchcraft, so it could definitely be related to witchcraft somehow.. but I think it'd be incorrect to say that the ankh is a symbol of witchcraft.

Indeed - I think it very important to note the difference between "a symbol sometimes used within" and "a symbol of".  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 am
It appears this is a small miscommunication, since "of" can mean "used within".  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

black_and_red_roses1

2,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:46 pm
but its not their fault that they dont know it. yes it is a little ignorant but they cant help it. they just dont know. so the only thing to do is to tell them the truth and thats what you did. but i think you over reacted a little bit. you cant expect everyone to everything. people are wrong, not all the time but mostof the time.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games