Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Psychic Protection Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 pm
Synnthetika
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Hmm, what about: what traditions use psychic protection? What is a "psychic attack"?
Do they have to call it that to be included? Or would analogous concepts be accepted with justification?

I suppose analogous concept could be accepted. Is psychic protection a term used by a specific culture/tradition or is it a conceptual word? Kind of like the terms "other-world tradition" or "spirit guide."
I've seen it used as both- which makes me think that it was a term developed by people for what they were doing then applied to other cultures as it turned into a pair of buzz words.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Take the sharpie, right "BIG ******** BAT OF UNCROSSING" on it.

Find the person who is threatening you, hopefully in a place where there won't be any any witnesses. Explain to them that if they are going to try and use magic to ******** up you're life (whatever form that may take), you'll get to use your bat to return the favor.

Hopefully you're in a place where you can use the bat to make lots of noise and give them a reason to think twice.

Having backup doesn't suck either.

I think I either jacked this from CuAnnan or Fiddler. Likely Cu.

*Clearly this requires the proper context to be applied.

Quoted for emphasis.

I've won more than one "magyck duel" with my fists. Seriously, if they think they can actually place some dark dweomer on you, or curse you or the like, that is attempt to assault, with what they might consider a deadly weapon.
Defend thyself! twisted  

Fiddlers Green

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 am
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Hmm, what about: what traditions use psychic protection? What is a "psychic attack"?
Do they have to call it that to be included? Or would analogous concepts be accepted with justification?

I suppose analogous concept could be accepted. Is psychic protection a term used by a specific culture/tradition or is it a conceptual word? Kind of like the terms "other-world tradition" or "spirit guide."
I've seen it used as both- which makes me think that it was a term developed by people for what they were doing then applied to other cultures as it turned into a pair of buzz words.

Which that being said, is psychic protection a very common practice among traditions? If not, which ones use it? If so, which one's don't?

Also, what is a psychic attack? Are there a lot of definitions as to its nature?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 am
Synnthetika

Which that being said, is psychic protection a very common practice among traditions? If not, which ones use it? If so, which one's don't?
Basic forms of protection are what I would consider exceptionally common.

Quote:
Also, what is a psychic attack? Are there a lot of definitions as to its nature?
Indeed.

Each tradition is sure to have their own commentary upon these generic terms.

My personal view- which includes commentary on my tradition and an overall observation of what is common enough to be dropped off on my door step- is that most of this stuff breaks down into three groups.

Harm being sent by Other Beings.
Harm being sent by people.
Harm being drawn in by personal actions.

By far- the most common is that which is drawn in by our own actions. I'd say over three quarters of all the purity laws I observe are designed to help us avoid this s**t and protect us. And that's just the formal stuff, it doesn't include the personal stuff I do outside of my tradition.

I've mentioned a few times that my Nana is the one who taught me to be a decent human being- by using a dream she had to illustrate her point. The bottom line is we don't live in a vacuum, and people react to what we do- sometimes in a direct fashion, sometimes in more subtle ways.

Cursing, willworking, hexing, crossing or the like done by other people. It's rarer than the Mr. Darks would think, but more common than the White Lighters would admit- especially amongst traditions and practices that don't hold to the bastardized Rede.

Sometimes the motivation for such is jealousy. More common, the motivation for such is that the person being crossed did something to piss someone off. There are always going to be things like Witch Wars and other kinds of bullshit. And the solution to some of these is simple and painless while other solutions tend to escalate the problem.

There was a cute little Witch War in Seattle almost twenty five years ago. Coven infighting bullshit. Sensitive people took note that there was magic being worked to bind them. They responded in kind. It escalated. The sane people who saw what was going on got out of the fight early and met up with the other side's sane people who did the same and had coffee and rolled their eyes at folks.

Something to consider with this kind of stuff is that there are degrees in it. It's a far cry between wishing someone a craptastic day to Culling a soul like some folks do.

Then there are dealing with Other things. That axiom that you see often- Don't call up what you can't put down, it solves the vast majority of these kinds of problems. The rest is most often a byproduct of cleaning up other folks' messes, and in the rare instance that there is something randomly wandering around- like what Yasmine talks about in Embracing the Moon, traditions for the most part have means of dealing with such critters.

This all started because we were talking about abusive parasites.

Best self defense with folks like that is to simply not be around them.
If you're not prey, then you're fine.

If that isn't an option, knowing how to exert some basic self control is the next option. Parasites tend to look for easy targets.

There are some common classic books on the subject- and some modern ones if you want me to provide a list of what we used to keep around the shop.  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 am
You know, every time someone brings up the concept of psychic protection, I get the mental image of someone with a condom stretched over their head.

Just sayin'. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 am
Byaggha
You know, every time someone brings up the concept of psychic protection, I get the mental image of someone with a condom stretched over their head.

Just sayin'. 3nodding
My Eclectic Pagan Trekie friend uses a "Raise Shields" visualization that makes me squee.  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:52 am
TeaDidikai
My Eclectic Pagan Trekie friend uses a "Raise Shields" visualization that makes me squee.
...this lends itself to a whole battery of fun spell-related images.

Set phasers to stun. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am
Byaggha
TeaDidikai
...this lends itself to a whole battery of fun spell-related images.

Set phasers to stun. xd

I want my Groucho Marx emoticon.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm
TeaDidikai

There was a cute little Witch War in Seattle almost twenty five years ago. Coven infighting bullshit. Sensitive people took note that there was magic being worked to bind them. They responded in kind. It escalated. The sane people who saw what was going on got out of the fight early and met up with the other side's sane people who did the same and had coffee and rolled their eyes at folks.

What evidence do you have that the reasonable, intelligent and forethought capable individuals who got out of the witch war were actually sane or not? Are you conflating sanity with reasonableness, intelligence and forethought regarding bad situations?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai

What evidence do you have that the reasonable, intelligent and forethought capable individuals who got out of the witch war were actually sane or not? Are you conflating sanity with reasonableness, intelligence and forethought regarding bad situations?

That they are sane. Though the choice of words was based on the Mr. Darks that followed.  

TeaDidikai

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 am
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Basic forms of protection are what I would consider exceptionally common.

Quote:
Indeed.

Each tradition is sure to have their own commentary upon these generic terms.

My personal view- which includes commentary on my tradition and an overall observation of what is common enough to be dropped off on my door step- is that most of this stuff breaks down into three groups.

Harm being sent by Other Beings.
Harm being sent by people.
Harm being drawn in by personal actions.

By far- the most common is that which is drawn in by our own actions. I'd say over three quarters of all the purity laws I observe are designed to help us avoid this s**t and protect us. And that's just the formal stuff, it doesn't include the personal stuff I do outside of my tradition.

I've mentioned a few times that my Nana is the one who taught me to be a decent human being- by using a dream she had to illustrate her point. The bottom line is we don't live in a vacuum, and people react to what we do- sometimes in a direct fashion, sometimes in more subtle ways.

Cursing, willworking, hexing, crossing or the like done by other people. It's rarer than the Mr. Darks would think, but more common than the White Lighters would admit- especially amongst traditions and practices that don't hold to the bastardized Rede.

Sometimes the motivation for such is jealousy. More common, the motivation for such is that the person being crossed did something to piss someone off. There are always going to be things like Witch Wars and other kinds of bullshit. And the solution to some of these is simple and painless while other solutions tend to escalate the problem.

Something to consider with this kind of stuff is that there are degrees in it. It's a far cry between wishing someone a craptastic day to Culling a soul like some folks do.

Then there are dealing with Other things. That axiom that you see often- Don't call up what you can't put down, it solves the vast majority of these kinds of problems. The rest is most often a byproduct of cleaning up other folks' messes, and in the rare instance that there is something randomly wandering around- like what Yasmine talks about in Embracing the Moon, traditions for the most part have means of dealing with such critters.

This all started because we were talking about abusive parasites.

Best self defense with folks like that is to simply not be around them.
If you're not prey, then you're fine.

If that isn't an option, knowing how to exert some basic self control is the next option. Parasites tend to look for easy targets.

There are some common classic books on the subject- and some modern ones if you want me to provide a list of what we used to keep around the shop.

Makes sense. I mean, even in a common sense way, I would imagine that if one is trying to avoid trouble, one might try to avoid dark alleys at night, avoid "bad" neighborhoods, don't go around pissing people off regularly, etc. These actions could result in someone punching you in the face, or worse, or cursing you in some way, or worse.

If I know there is someone around me who openly calls themselves a vampire, I leave and no longer hang around them, if I can help it. So far, in my life, I've only met 2 and have never had to continue contact with them. *shrug*

However, I love making lists of books, so if it's not too much trouble, could you provide a couple books?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai

That they are sane. Though the choice of words was based on the Mr. Darks that followed.

If the assertion of a lack of sanity was based on potent self delusions afterwards and unrelated to leaving a bad conflict, why did you use the word to denote those who left the conflict?

Furthermore, Mr. Darks are not always a result of delusions resulting from or creating psychosis (or other nonfunctional perceptive states arising from mental illness), but can be a result of willful ignorance and rationalization arising from needs for autonomy, attention and importance. None of which is "insane". Hence, conflating Mr. Darking with a lack of sanity is also not on.

So returning to my original question, what's your evidence that those who left were sane and those who stayed were not?  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:10 am
Synnthetika

If I know there is someone around me who openly calls themselves a vampire, I leave and no longer hang around them, if I can help it. So far, in my life, I've only met 2 and have never had to continue contact with them. *shrug*

I've actually commonly found (only in my experience, so take it as you will) that individuals who refer to themselves as vampires of a psi or psy variety, or energy vampires, or even energy sink holes end up being just abusive in a fairly mundane way. Being extraordinarily self centered, lacking in empathy and quite willing to blame harm caused by themselves on others or on unrelated things in the situation, these people end up being abusers by simple virtue of the resounding lack of ethics, empathy and sense of responsibility that creates their attitudes regarding spiritual rape in the first place.

Making these parasites quite dangerous even if they're just Mr. Darking and can't actually drain anything from you metaphysically.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:39 am
Synnthetika

However, I love making lists of books, so if it's not too much trouble, could you provide a couple books?
I'll poke my old boss and see if he wants to add anything to the list before I post it.

Recursive Paradox

If the assertion of a lack of sanity was based on potent self delusions afterwards and unrelated to leaving a bad conflict, why did you use the word to denote those who left the conflict?
Because continuing to indulge in delusion based self-destructive behavior that renders someone non-functioning while perpetuating heightened states of paranoia isn't just bad decision making.
Quote:

Furthermore, Mr. Darks are not always a result of delusions resulting from or creating psychosis (or other nonfunctional perceptive states arising from mental illness), but can be a result of willful ignorance and rationalization arising from needs for autonomy, attention and importance. None of which is "insane". Hence, conflating Mr. Darking with a lack of sanity is also not on.
You and Error have said this a couple times.

I'm not currently in agreement. I think that there needs to be a distinction made between fanciful play and Mr. Darks- in the same way there is a difference between Dramatic Play and Mr. Darks.

I'm also of the opinion that this is an area where elements of Western Medicine is behind. My observations are tied in no small part to the reaction to individuals engaging in behavior irrationally and having a blind eye turned towards it because it relates to religious experiences.

My solution for this would be to use some of the different scans possible to explore the parts of the brain that are active during the purported hyper-religious states, but I doubt we are going to see that any time soon.

I get this is a hot button for you- in no small part because people have misapplied concepts within mental health to you and those you love in a pejorative way.

I'm currently exploring the validity of both of our positions, for what it is worth.  

TeaDidikai

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 am
Byaggha

Just sayin'. 3nodding

You're not the only one. xd

Better than a tinfoil hat, I say! xd  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out