Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Privilege and Religion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:35 pm
Able-bodiedness and being relatively mentally healthy are requirements for the tradition I seek initiation into. Intelligence, also--abstract thinking is pretty much fundamental. Privilege to have a coven to work with, as well as the mobility and wealth to reach them/keep up with my practices.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 am
Fiddlers Green

Are we only discussing about inherent/accidental privilege, or are we also counting privilege we have carved out/came to by intent rather than chance?

Privilege doesn't really include that which we have earned in the sociological sense. I have at times used the term Earned Privilege in an attempt to help people understand the difference between Privilege and the results of personal actions, and I see now that it was an error in my part to do so since it didn't effectively communicate the ideal and created a misunderstanding.

Sorry for that.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 pm
TeaDidikai
Privilege doesn't really include that which we have earned in the sociological sense. I have at times used the term Earned Privilege in an attempt to help people understand the difference between Privilege and the results of personal actions, and I see now that it was an error in my part to do so since it didn't effectively communicate the ideal and created a misunderstanding.

Sorry for that.

No need for being sorry.
Actually, I've had some conundrums... In some cases, being part of a privileged class can be a choice. Depends on the location. Married people may have privilege in some areas. They certainly have religious rights that are different from those unmarried in some religions. This is just an example, there are others.
However, as it is part and parcel to the topic, it may be relevant to explain the nature of Privilege vs choice leading to advantage, just so everyone can see it.
Unless you don't want this in here, at which point consider it dropped.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:57 am
Fiddlers Green

Unless you don't want this in here, at which point consider it dropped.
I'm willing to. It's actually a very good thing to include, thanks.

Just don't expect it from me until next year.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces