Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
How to know if you are Celtic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:14 am
I am sorry, but every time I see p and q Celt... I just can't help but think pint and quart, as in, mind your Ps and Qs. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:12 am
Fiddlers Green
I am sorry, but every time I see p and q Celt... I just can't help but think pint and quart, as in, mind your Ps and Qs. sweatdrop

I think of 'please and thank you.' As in 'pease and ank-kyew' as two little boys I babysit say it.  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:57 am
Fiddlers Green

Pint and quart?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 am
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?
One of the supposed origins of the expression mind your ps and qs, Cu. Tavernkeeps to their progressively drunker patrons, back in the seventeeth century or so - "Mind your pints and quarts", as in "watch how much you're drinking, because I'm totally going to cut you off after a point" biggrin  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:53 am
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?
One of the supposed origins of the expression mind your ps and qs, Cu. Tavernkeeps to their progressively drunker patrons, back in the seventeeth century or so - "Mind your pints and quarts", as in "watch how much you're drinking, because I'm totally going to cut you off after a point" biggrin

Wow, that's awesome! New thing learned for the day!

I'd always heard that the P and Q distinction came from the mac and 'ap difference.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?

I'd heard it came from the printing press, because it was easy to mistake a p and a q.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 am
Ainwyn
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?

Wow, that's awesome! New thing learned for the day!

I'd always heard that the P and Q distinction came from the mac and 'ap difference.

They're just another example. It's not one word, it's the words that they share that are different from the original (I believe) Q based proto-Celtic  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 pm
CuAnnan
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?

I'd heard it came from the printing press, because it was easy to mistake a p and a q.

Easy to mistake them when learning to write, too. That, and also ds and bs. I had a helluva a time with the latter.  

Aino Ailill

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 pm
CuAnnan
Mm, I did say it was one of the supposed origins - I've heard about a half dozen. xd

I'm not sure anyone knows where it came from anymore. I do like that printing press one though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 pm
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?

As I recall, in the U.S., sailours could defer their tab if their ship had made arrangement with certain bars. Such that, rather than paying at the bar, the innkeep would just take the ledger to the ship's paymaster and take it directly from there.  

Fiddlers Green

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:54 pm
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Mm, I did say it was one of the supposed origins - I've heard about a half dozen. xd

I'm not sure anyone knows where it came from anymore. I do like that printing press one though. 3nodding

I was just adding the one I'd heard (on QI).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:39 pm
if you are irish ,scottish, welsh or english than tecnicly you have celtic in you  

Doc Dillamond

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:45 pm
gemherbal
if you are irish ,scottish, welsh or english than tecnicly you have celtic in you

Um, yeah, I'd like to see what would happen if someone who's English tells someone who's Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton, Cornish or Manx (?) that they're "Celtic". I wonder if the reaction would be worse or similar to when it's said by an American.

@ Cu - that makes sense, thanks!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:58 pm
gemherbal

i have a fair amount of irish blood running through my veins, but to my knowledge i am not celtic as a do not speak the language.

(can anyone actually, for the sake of arguement, 'be' celtic or would you just say one does/n't speak celtic. for future reference so i don't offend anyone.)  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 am
Aino Ailill
CuAnnan
Byaggha
CuAnnan
Pint and quart?

Easy to mistake them when learning to write, too. That, and also ds and bs. I had a helluva a time with the latter.

i never had a problem getting letters backwards, but i had an issue with 'E', i always wanted to put mor than 3 horizontal lines on it, lol. my granddad had a hard time explaining that one to me, it just looked so... unfinished. xd  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff