Evil Parents!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sakura_kura
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:43 pm
As mentioned many times previously in this thread, it is their 'close minded opinion,' but isn't that hypocritical?

You say: 'I love Harry potter and think it is great and people who don't accept it are close minded'

They say: 'Harry Potter is evil/whatever people who read it can't see our POV and our close minded'

Pretty much: respect what other people think, it is an opinion such as yours is to watch/read it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:41 pm
KitsuneTsuki
What is it with people having to think this book is so bad?

My friend is religous, and has a very religous family, and her mom threw away all her HP books and movies!

I think thats just unfair.... -_-

She has to sneak with us to see the movie!!! scream
not to offend people with religion but they dont have a imagination fantasy books sci fi books fiction books in journal puts in our mind what if but they think magic is evil  

Potter351

Oh snaps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:23 pm
Potter351
KitsuneTsuki
What is it with people having to think this book is so bad?

My friend is religous, and has a very religous family, and her mom threw away all her HP books and movies!

I think thats just unfair.... -_-

She has to sneak with us to see the movie!!! scream
not to offend people with religion but they dont have a imagination fantasy books sci fi books fiction books in journal puts in our mind what if but they think magic is evil

They have plenty of imagination, it's just of a different sort.
I can't understand the rest of your post. I suggest you use periods and other such punctuation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:43 pm
I do think everyone is entitled to their opinions, and Im not just saying people are closed minded, but they shouldnt push their opinions and beliefs on everyone else. Its one thing to say "Dont eat that paint thinner because you will die" but to say "If you watch/read that Harry Potter/megic whatever the hell youre going to burn in eternal flames come judgement day. And then youll be embarassed cause everyone else waiting to get into heaven will laugh at you. Because youre a nerd."

Ok, maybe the last part was excessive, but so am I : D

I just think people need to leave each other alone. I mean, this girl is 18 and her mother is trying to control her. Sure she still lives with her mom, but shes an adult now and that "Your under my roof" BS just doesnt work once youre an adult... -_-

Not in MY opinion anyways...

I hope I dont start any arguements by saying this. But its, as we've all said, just my opinion.  

KitsuneTsuki

smaw12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Poor grandma.
I hate it when people are so uptight like that, it really bothers me that their interests are so minimal and limited by every single thing that defies them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:14 pm
I believe heavily in people being entitled to their own opinion. I am not going to ridicule someone for having a different opinion than mine as long as they actually know what they're talking about. If someone has read all the books and can honestly look at them and say they think it's wrong, that's cool. I don't care. However, I cannot accept people who either do not even bother to look at them and assume that it's bad, or people who only read select passages and purposely interpret the worst from them. Furthermore, I'm letting you have your opinion, so shut your mouth about mine. There is nothing you can say to convince me that it's wrong, because when I read them, I see the good, not the bad.

I think it's ok to be gay. I can't tell you how many people have given me a hard time about it. On my first day of Junior English, I told the class that I support gay people because I have a gay friend and there's nothing wrong with him. I told them that the quickest way to piss me off is to insult gay people. The fourth six weeks rolls around, and we're writing our persuasive essays, and I wind up editing this essay about how gay marriage is wrong. I did not rant or complain about the essay, because I understand that it's her opinion. I did, however, make a few comments on some of the informations and opinions in the essay. She stated that 'no one wants to see two guys making out.' I wrote in the margins of her paper that first of all, she is assuming she knows everyone one else's opinion, and second of all, most people don't want to see any couple making out, heterosexual or gay. She complained about me trying to make her paper about my opinion, and I told her that no, I wasn't, I was tying to help her, because she would get points off for her comments, because they were completely based on her opinion. When she got her paper, she'd failed it, and our teacher told her that there were too many opinions and assumptions about how other people feel for it to be any good. All year I was constantly enduring lectures and such from my classmates, most of whom should have been in a remedial class. Finally, one day I got sick of it and yelled at one boy that I had my own opinion, so he could take his and shove it, because unlike some people, I don't feel right judging others based on things like that.

I don't care what your opinion is. Honestly, I'd like everyone to get with the program and accept people for who they are and let them like what they like. If that can't happen, then that's fine, but don't go trying to make me turn my back on my friends or the things I enjoy just because you happen to disprove of it.  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 am
Religious fanatics also claim The Golden Compass, The Davinci Code, and other books are evil. I completely discount any arguments that they make because they haven't read the books; don't preach unless what the fudge you're talking about. evil To be fair, The Golden Compass and The Davinci Code do - in one way or another - question the church, but Harry Potter definitely does not. They have Christmas and Easter holiday breaks for Merlin's sake! People are just close-minded imbeciles.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:58 am
It is rather interesting how Harry Potter has Easter and Christmas breaks. And Halloween. Can someone give that little girl, the one who said that she'll be a princess and not one of those kids who celebrates Halloween, a little memo that says how Queen Elizabeth and her family, when they were kids, obviously did celebrate All Hallows Eve (spelling), and she obviously was a princess. T.T And besides, most all the royal families in history -loved- condemning their enemies to death.

This is the human plague. Myopic-ism  

xuebiii

Riku Masen

Chatty Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:33 pm
wow I don't know anybody like that, seems like all of you do.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 pm
No, I don't know anyone like that. I thought everyone was a bit better by now--you know, after all that stuff about a person's race and inherent UV protection they have in their skin. but I had an eye-opening experience when someone posted the video of that "God's warrior" or "Warrior Woman for god"... or something from spouse swap or wife swap or something. >.< Freaky narrow-minded person. I like stars. And yeah, the Harry Potter books are on the list (it might even be official) of banned books.  

xuebiii

KimCL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:24 pm
Oh, I work at a family book store, and we get all of these crazy books bashing The Golden Compass, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings (which actually has some Christian based-themes in it), and the The Davinci Code.
Also about how Halloween is evil and why parents should not allow children to participate in suchs manners.

They think just because im a teenager they have to come in and preach to me everyday, bombing me with questions that they have no right to ask, so I simply tell them it's none of there buisness.

I'm a Christian, but I think we're corrupt. ESPECIALLY our churches.
The Bible thumpers give us a very highly bad name.
Not all of us are like that, I swear!

But yeah, about 55% of our books consist of the dangers of media and myspace. What a joke.

I also have homosexual friends, and not once have I ever tried to "covert" them. I say let them be who they are, who am I to judge?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 am
Okay, I am Roman Catholic and understand both the views of my church and what I believe sometimes conflicts with that. When Harry Potter first came out I was reading it in my catechism class waiting for the teacher, she came in and saw what I was reading and started lechering me for reading a book banded by the church. I listened to her points and waited for her to finish quoting the bible and scripture, about how what I was reading was wrong and I calmly stated that in the bible God said, 'love me and worship me, and have no other gods before me. That how you worship me is between you and me. Keep my laws and do what is right.' I then told her I had broken none of the commandments, I didn't not think Harry Potter was a god, and that I still held and kept our sabbath. Why would God punish me for reading an fictional book? If it upset her so I wouldn't bring it any longer and that I would not make comments about it in class. That was the end of that argument, but she still chastised me for drawing fictional creatures in class, after I finished my work. I didn't understand, she said my gift was from God, and that I should only draw holy things, or real things that God made to celebrate him with my gift. If He gave me my talent, mind and imagination, would it not matter what I drew, so long as I drew, and not wasted my gift?; That I use my gift to make others happy, and to use it to help give peace, and joy to another by viewing it, or making them think about important things in life through it? I am still the same religion, I like it's basic message but I don't believe in some of the dictations that come from my church. To believe without question in something you think is wrong, is not right in my mind. I hold my questions, and think on them. I make my mind up and act on it. I do not force my beliefs on others, and do not force yours on me. If you would ask a question I'll happily answer as best I can, so long as you are polite about it, and I would like the same in return. I don't care if someone is gay, or has an abortion, or doesn't keep to tradition. It is your existence to live, and I'll even be friends with you, so long as you believe what you believe and let me believe in my beliefs and we can talk on other subjects. To many people want to be right all the time. No one knows what's right. Hey I could be wrong and reading Harry Potter means I'm going to hell, I could be right and still make it into heaven, and have some interesting conversation material. In the end I think this is something people should try and live by, their own beliefs. Mine are, "If it harms no other, do what you will. Believe in what you believe, and let others hold their own belief. Cherish your world that you live on, because you only have one." I choose to believe an invisible being lives in the 'sky' and wants us to be good people and doesn't care if you read a book about make believe. Thank you for letting me share this, as it can be very hard to.  

KatieInTheBox

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 am
I come from a family where religion is almost everything. I'm a Mormon as many of you might know me, and yes, I have had my persecution because I lived in Chicago Illinois for a time. I enjoyed every moment of it, and I just do my best to live up to the standards Christ set for us since we believe that is what we were sent her to do. Before I go explaining the next part I'll state that my mothers maiden name is Black and every other year the entire black family gets together and goes camping. This includes my grandfather and all his siblings and their familes so it's litterally a Black attack. But the beginning of August this year we had our campout reunion and I showed up in these shorts that didn't quite reach my middle thigh. For my religion we are told that anything above our knees are immodest and that we shouldn't wear them. I personally don't believe they do any damage to anyone, and I wear what I want to wear. My favorite Aunt and Uncle live in California, and they have to be two of the biggest mormons I have ever seen. When I showed up in those shorts they held their tongue for the most part and just talked about how proud they were that I was going to college a year early. It's times like that that I get along with people. The only comments either of them made was when we went hiking and my uncle kept telling me not to fall and skin my pretty knees, and then that night when I was wearing a sweater with the shorts and my aunt asked if my legs were freezing. That's when I like them, but other times they actually speak up. Their family will not eat at McDonalds any more just because McDonalds supports gay marriage. My aunt and I almost had a full blown out argument about it when she said that allowing gays to marry is almost like allowing polygamy to become legal again. And no for those of you that are wondering, we no longer practice polygamy. Those that do branched off from the church, and we do not have horns. Anyways I was all ready to go into the argument and I would have if we had not been in my grandmothers living room celebrating my cousins birthday and my grandmother asked us both to drop it. Somehow the subject came up at the Black family reunion that weekend and I admitted full heartedly that I don't care. I neither support or appose gay marriage because they are not hurting anyone. When my uncle asked me I told him that and then somehow I wound up telling him that in our Junior English class we had a debate and we seperated the room with for and against. I faught for just because I believe they are entitled to their own beliefs. Then my uncle went into this whole lecture about how the church is against gay marriage and we as saints (As in latter day saints which is what we call ourselves in the church) are to do everything we can to stop it. I listened but I started arguing right back saying they weren't hurting anyone when his son piped up with they were hurting themselves spiritually. I spun around and told them that I couldn't help what they did spiritually and I had learned that a long time ago since I'm the 6th of 8 children, the first one to go to college, and the only one that has not either turned lesbian, or been on perol. And yes, the perol pertains to my younger two siblings. My little brother was on house arrest for his 16th birthday, and my little sister is currently on probation for pulling a knife on my mother and father. All my older siblings smoke, and my little brother smokes so I learned a long time ago that I can't help what people do to themselves spiritually.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff