View Results

ryokomayuka

Familiar Member

10,400 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:18 pm
I don't drink. I don't think that I ever will. I have no interest in drinking ever. Not even a slip. Just who I am.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:55 pm
I am because of several reasons. It says that being drunk is a sin. Yes, I know that drinking a little is not a sin, but the temptation can and will at times to get drunk. And it says in James to resist temptation and the devil shall flee from you. Like I told one of my friends, a while ago, "The best way to get rid of temptation is to get rid of the source." So, if I do not drink, I cannot be tempted to get drunk.

Second, In the Bible, it says that our bodies are the temple of the Living God. So I wouldn't want to cause my body harm if God dwells within me. And yes, Alcohol will in time, harm your body. It has been proven. Not to mention, it mess up your thinking, reaction time, distance, and judgment.  

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

No place like 127 0 0 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 am
No..but i like self control...and im not really obsessed or a big fan of alcohol. And beer tastes crap to me D: (no i didnt say all alcohol = beer... for those who will be a smart a**)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:17 am
Thistle_Whistle
I am because of several reasons. It says that being drunk is a sin. Yes, I know that drinking a little is not a sin, but the temptation can and will at times to get drunk. And it says in James to resist temptation and the devil shall flee from you. Like I told one of my friends, a while ago, "The best way to get rid of temptation is to get rid of the source." So, if I do not drink, I cannot be tempted to get drunk.

Second, In the Bible, it says that our bodies are the temple of the Living God. So I wouldn't want to cause my body harm if God dwells within me. And yes, Alcohol will in time, harm your body. It has been proven. Not to mention, it mess up your thinking, reaction time, distance, and judgment.

So do you also try your best to eat as healthy as possible?  

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 am
sheheartsthings
Thistle_Whistle

So do you also try your best to eat as healthy as possible?

Yes, I do. I am eating vegetables and fruits everyday, and trying to stay away from junk food a lot.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:56 am
That's cool. I try to eat healthy too, but it's just for health reasons. whee
I drink though, but not often, really. And that's also not for religious reasons...just because.  

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Big_Wave_Legacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 pm
Ricette, Im kind of creeped out. i feel like you just keep following me. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:20 pm
Big_Wave_Legacy
Ricette, Im kind of creeped out. i feel like you just keep following me. lol
Then whatever you do, don't look out your window ninja  

Ricette

Lestranged Lithium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 am
I am actually very against it....

God gave it to us wine to drink in celebration, but not to get drunk off our butts!!!
It says in the bible that you're not supposed to get drunk, you can consume alcohol, but you shouldn't become a drunkard....and most people take that as alcoholic, but its really just one who gets drunk.

I know so many people who place alcohol as their idol, their god, even when they know who the one true GOD is!!! it makes me sad...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 am
Im not against it. But im not interested in it. Never have been.  

Crystal Sailor Pluto

Eternal Gatekeeper

Xahmen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am
Lestranged Lithium
I am actually very against it....

God gave it to us wine to drink in celebration, but not to get drunk off our butts!!!
It says in the bible that you're not supposed to get drunk, you can consume alcohol, but you shouldn't become a drunkard....and most people take that as alcoholic, but its really just one who gets drunk.

I know so many people who place alcohol as their idol, their god, even when they know who the one true GOD is!!! it makes me sad...

Actually a drunkard is an alcoholic, not just somebody he gets drunk.
Figure I'd fact check that for you.

i.e. "******** yeah I'm getting married tomorrow! Let's drink!
"You don't drink often!"
"I know, but it's a celebration!"

Then that person gets so plastered that they can't see straight.
They aren't a drunkard, they're just drunk.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am
I found a few verses that speaks about drinking or being drunk.

Ephesians 5:18-20

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Numbers 6:2-3

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

Proverbs 20:1

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:28 pm
I just want to point out that the passage Thisle_Whistle quoted above, in Numbers 6, is talking about a very specific situation where someone makes a vow to be devoted to God and separated from the world for a certain amount of time that they have decided. It's called a Nazarite vow. The requirements for a Nazarite vow, such as not getting your hair cut, not drinking wine, and not going near a dead body, were not things that were required or expected of the Israelites; it was only required of a person who made the decision to take a Nazarite vow.

The vast majority of the time, a Nazarite vow was made voluntarily and only lasted a certain amount of time. There are a couple examples in the Bible where God required someone to be a Nazarite for his entire life, because he wanted to use them for a special purpose. Samson is the most famous example. (See Judges 13). He's known for never cutting his hair, because, like abstaining from wine and strong drink, that was one of the requirements of a Nazarite. But no one could say that all Israel was required to never get their hair cut. So, it is also not fair to apply this verse as evidence that they were all required to never drink alcohol.

However, the passage does show that a Christian willingly abstaining from things that God has otherwise allowed people to do, like drinking or having sex, is a healthy practice that can potentially deepen your relationship with God. But such practices are not required of a Christian and are completely voluntary. It's similar to fasting. Eating isn't sinful, but fasting can be a spiritually beneficial practice. (You could abstain from drink or sex your whole life, but I would advise against fasting for your whole life.)

Thistle_Whistle, I respect that you choose not to drink, and I really appreciate that even so, you acknowledged in your first post that it is not a sin to drink, in and of itself. You're right that it can lead to temptation, but how strong that temptation is depends on the person. For me, I've never really had any trouble of knowing when to stop. But if I did repeatedly have trouble, it would be better to completely quit drinking than to continue falling into sin. As Christ said, if you eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. But still, there's nothing wrong with having eyes and looking at things.

I'm surprised no one has brought up this verse: No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments. (1 Timothy 5:23) It's also a very specific situation; Paul is advising Timothy about his health. In this particular verse, he's not talking about drinking wine for pleasure, but because it's better for him than just drinking water all the time. (Water back then was not always the cleanest thing to drink.) But it does at least show that drinking wine is not bad in and of itself.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:37 pm
Its just bad all together, Jesus didn't go out and get wasted!  

LadyPapaya12

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Ricette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 am
natya12
Its just bad all together, Jesus didn't go out and get wasted!
Well... there is that big gap in the bible, the missing 18 years that no one knows a thing about. Who are we to say he was celibate and sober the entire time?  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff