Aurelia Celestis
Allegro
Aurelia Celestis
Allegro
I'll put it on my list of things to do after I finish Fire Emblem

ASKJlhKDHlis,fjghks ROY STOP DYING

Fixed.

I need that patch so badly.

Looked for it for ages, but the website doesn't exist anymore.
Roy IS awful. The worst lord in the series.

I agree...Unfortunately.

He could run away like a little p***y just like Lucas.

Why do you think he wasn't in Brawl?

So much for Roy being our boy.

THE CROWD WAS MISLED!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 am
T, you lied to me. Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars are DS games.  

Allegro

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm
Allegro
T, you lied to me. Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars are DS games.

eek Ooh, I guess I never did say they were DS games... sorry about that.

I had to say what I said then head off the cpu a bit quickly yesterday...

But are you still willing to give 'em a try?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 pm
I'm using a mac, there aren't any working DS emulators.  

Allegro

Patchouli the Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:45 pm
TtheHero
Allegro
Aurelia Celestis
Allegro
Aurelia Celestis
Allegro
I'll put it on my list of things to do after I finish Fire Emblem

ASKJlhKDHlis,fjghks ROY STOP DYING

Fixed.

I need that patch so badly.

Looked for it for ages, but the website doesn't exist anymore.
Roy IS awful. The worst lord in the series.

I agree...Unfortunately.

He could run away like a little p***y just like Lucas.

Why do you think he wasn't in Brawl?

So much for Roy being our boy.

THE CROWD WAS MISLED!

xD

*Urge to play Melee disappeared*

I wish he was in Brawl. >_>  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 am
Allegro

Well, I did happen to find one... of course, I can't say it here.

The only drawback is they say it's a little tricky to set up.

I'll admit I went through one or two DS emulators before I found one just right to play JUS.

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm
TtheHero
Allegro

Well, I did happen to find one... of course, I can't say it here.

The only drawback is they say it's a little tricky to set up.

I'll admit I went through one or two DS emulators before I found one just right to play JUS.

The DS emulator available for the Mac doesn't play much right now, at least at the speed you'd need for JUS.

Review up tonight. I'm changing my schedule a little bit. I'm kinda burnt out of fire Emblem, so until I pick that one up again, I'm going to play a faster paced RPG like Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean. Apologies to Otawara, but most of us have already played Mother 3 (and so did I to some extent), so it's kinda low on my list.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm
Radical Dreamers? O_O  

Patchouli the Librarian

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 pm
Alright, so. No spoilers for the the way the game unfolds this time, but I'll be dropping spoilers about the characters in the game and the continuity it's in, because it's relevant to the setting.

User Image

Today, Radical Dreamers for the SNES.

User Image

Radical Dreamers, eh? I'll admit, prior to this, all I'd heard about the game was that the soundtrack had been remixed by devotees at OCremix and it had some connections to Chrono Cross. Turns out I was a little off. Published for an add-on for the SNES that never made it over here, the Satellaview, Redical Dreamers is a visual novel that takes place in an alternate timeline from Chrono Trigger. Ostensibly an timeline where Chrono was not revived, as the Chrono Trigger is still in one piece. You play as Serge, (Yes, that Serge, but also not), accompanying Kid the annoying a** thief and the shadow magician Magil (and really, the first time you see his sprite in the game you'll know who he really is). You're a band of thieves off to steal the Frozen Flame (pictured in the title screen) from the local lord, Lynx (who doesn't look like a furry in this game). So these are all Chrono Cross characters, yes. But this doesn't take place in the same timeline as Chrono Trigger does. This is more of a side-story to Trigger, and the characters just so happened to inspire a sequel to it that happened to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Kid, shut up god User Image

So there's some background info. Let's start with the reviewing, shall we?

First off, In my 5 or 6 hours with this game, I saw 3 spelling and/or grammatical errors. 3. In a visual novel game. DAMN. This is some of the best localization done anywhere. The game itself is very well written, and it carries over into English beautifully. Serge's descriptions of events draw you straight into the experience, which is an element many visual novels lack. You will be hard pressed to find a game that is better translated than this.

Gameplay is very much like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, you will be presented with a situation and multiple ways to get through it. This could be anything from puzzle solving, to exploration, to negotiation, to combat.

A sample: User Image

Yes, there are random encounters in this game. There aren't very many that are actually random, though- most enemy types have a set pattern to defeat them. I didn't run into very many, probably 20 overall. The problem with battles that don't have a pattern, and this is particularly true of a couple of mandatory fights, is that you'll feel very lost and out of place in combat. Many of your choices in these battles are just reactionary, while your allies dish out the pain. You'll never really get hooked into combat in these situations, though.

User Image OH ******** b***h ******** YOU

User Image

There is no indicator for health points, although you can get an indication of what your health is like from Serge's dialogue after a battle. This is one of two hidden mechanics that are vital to your progress through the game. The other is the Flirt-o-Meter. Not its actual name, but that's what it's used for. Kid starts off with a set level of affection for Serge, and the only way to beat the game proper is to get her affection higher for Serge. There are several story events that have options to increase (and drastically decrease) affection levels, but the easiest way to increase affection is by not sucking at combat. So hopefully you'll find lots of skeletons and kick their a** if you ******** up in the story.

After a couple revelations at the end of the game (the Frozen Flame is a piece of Lavos, Magil is Magus, Kid is a reincarnated Schala sent back in time who was raised by Lucca, who was killed by Lynx), some of which are paralleled in Chrono Cross the first scenario of the game comes to a close. This isn't the end of the fun, though, more like the start of it.

The game restarts and after some brief intro dialogue, Kid's hair can put you to sleep. Depending on whether you do or not, you can continue through the game and go through 6 more scenarios, in addition to replaying the first. Most of these scenarios are an hour at most, compared to the 2-4 hours it takes to get through the first.

This is where the game gets silly. No spoilers for this part, but along the way through the mansion, you may encounter the following: a perverted sunflower, a demon with insecurities about its breast size, space cops, tentacle demons, giant robots, ghosts, a basketball game, a goblin who just wants to drink tea with you, and a demon with breast size issues.

All these scenarios take place in parallel universes, just like the main storyline. So it's really cool.

Only one of those is made up. So while the first scenario is probably only for Chrono fans, the rest of the game is for EVERYONE. There may also be a Zero Wing reference in the game, but I ain't saying where. ninja

Overall, I really enjoyed this game. I was more impressed than entertained by the first segment of the game, but the rest of the game had me rolling. SO much fun. I highly recommend this for anyone who has a few hours to kill.

Random image dump.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Aaaaaaaaaaand there we go. Questions? Comments? Feedback? Requests?

Leave them here.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm
I have to say I was wary about Radical Dreamers when I heard it was a text-based game. My ridiculous love of CT told me not to let a sequel ruin my precious memories, but it looks like Square handled this one well.

How is the music? Is it up to Chrono series standards?  

5ir Psycho 5exy

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:17 pm
-Zephyrotica-
I have to say I was wary about Radical Dreamers when I heard it was a text-based game. My ridiculous love of CT told me not to let a sequel ruin my precious memories, but it looks like Square handled this one well.

Good. In one of the bonus scenarios there's a music box too. biggrin There's little of it, but what's there is good.

Also, this is a gaiden story, so there shouldn't be any worries there of ruined memories.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 pm
Allegro
-Zephyrotica-

Good. In one of the bonus scenarios there's a music box too. biggrin There's little of it, but what's there is good.

Also, this is a gaiden story, so there shouldn't be any worries there of ruined memories.
k, rad. I have to find this. >_> *goes on hunt*  

5ir Psycho 5exy

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 pm
It's pretty easy to find. You should be able to find a translated ROM instead of having to patch it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:13 pm
One site was unavailable, one ROM was faulty, one copy was EFTA-protected, ******** the EFTA. If you're going to stop us from playing these games for free, how about you ******** sell them. stare

Emulation can bite my a**... *keeps looking*  

5ir Psycho 5exy

Patchouli the Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:56 am
...DO FIRE EMBLEM: THRACIA 776 NEXT.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items