*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
So what about smoking? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So that smoking thing? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
  Tobacco is ok
  Weed is ok
  They're both ok
  They're both wrong
  Either in moderation
  Does it even matter if it is?
View Results

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:24 am
Smoking tobacco...I wouldn't say it is a sin per se, but it is harmful to your health and is generally a bad idea. I smoked cigarettes for years and recently quit just because it seemed like such a stupid thing to jeopardise my health over. It's not even especially pleasurable. I'd get a head rush when smoking my first cigarette, and that was about it. It just doesn't do anything, besides harm your lungs.

As for other drugs...I really think it depends on the drug user, to be honest. I've had a lot of experiences with drugs. Everything heroin addiction to experiencing a spiritual awakening due to dimethyltryptamine (DMT) use.

Some drugs paired with some people are most definitely a bad thing. Heroin paired with me and my emotional state at the time I was using it, was bad. Very bad. I had no respect for myself or the sunstance I was using, so I abused it, and ended up having to go through several hours of very unpleasant withdrawl to get off it as a result.

Hallucinogens and me, however, are a very good thing. It sounds wierd to say something like "drugs made me a better person," but it's kind of true. LSD got me to stop smoking, mushrooms got me to eat healthier, and DMT rewned my faith. There's a reason the street name fo DMT is "Divine Moments of Truth."

And just to put things in perspective a bit, for people who think that all illegal drugs are bad and addictive, alcohol and caffeine, both of which are legal, are far more addictive than any of the illegal hallucinogens I've used.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:42 pm
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
I'm guessing this is love
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
You're the remedy to my heartbreak
Wouldn't have it any other way
Hope this never dies...

Ok, I haven't read any posts before this one, so I'm not sure if any of this has been stated or not.

I, personally think that smoking is bad for you, and it's really a disgusting habit in my opinion. I think that, if you chose to smoke, you must be of age to do so because in the Bible it talks about following society's rules, unless they go against God. The same goes for illegal substances like weed.

As for smoking in context of the Bible, it isn't addressed at all, at least not concretely. Of course, there are sections of the Bible that talk about taking care of your body, etc. and I think that smoking goes under that category, as well as exercise and a number of other things. Essentially, the act of smoking is probably not bad, but what it does to your body makes it a bad thing.

I don't really think God wants us giving ourselves lung cancer.

I feel a little strange
You go straight to my brain
Drivin' me oh so crazy
Between the sound and lights
You got me hypnotized
And if there never comes a sunrise
Well, that'd be just fine
This will never die...

Mistifear

SloanSage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:19 pm
bethica2001
So, I saw that there was a thread about whether or not drink is a sin or not, or if it's a drunkinness and moderation thing...

But what about smoking? That is tobacco and or weed? Is there a difference? Are either sins?

Cuz as far as I know, smoking anything in any form isn't really discussed anywhere in the bible...

what do ya'll think?

weed actually kills off brain cells. So... destroying that which God gave you...

Tobacco, in moderation and as long as you are not addicted.

The addiction is the sinful part. You are serving another master. You cannot serve any other master than God.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:11 pm
It's about safety and harming one's self and others. It's probably not bad to ingest things, but if you're willingly doing it and you know full well it'll alter your mental and or physical state to a point that damage is done to your body, then it's wrong. A body is God's temple. Take good care of it. Else you're desecrating His place.

Well that's for the Christians at least. If you're not one, no need to agree with me.  

OneWithDunamis

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:43 pm
Naadiah
Well, people argue it isn't. But then, if your body is a sanctuary that God made, and he doesn't want you doing things like cutting yourself, then smoking and drugs are like that, too, and also sinful.

As for wine, it has benefits for your health, so that's different. It's made of grapes, so yeah. razz I think the super harmful alcohol is probably bad.
Jesus drank, and as he was without sin acording to the bible, drinking is not a sin. however, from the time of Noah, drunkeness has been defined as sikn.

drugs destroy the body, which is supposed to be God's temple, and so in my book, it is a sin.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:05 pm
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Naadiah
Well, people argue it isn't. But then, if your body is a sanctuary that God made, and he doesn't want you doing things like cutting yourself, then smoking and drugs are like that, too, and also sinful.

As for wine, it has benefits for your health, so that's different. It's made of grapes, so yeah. razz I think the super harmful alcohol is probably bad.
Jesus drank, and as he was without sin acording to the bible, drinking is not a sin. however, from the time of Noah, drunkeness has been defined as sikn.

drugs destroy the body, which is supposed to be God's temple, and so in my book, it is a sin.

I think the reasoning behind that, and this is just my speculation, is that one doesn't necessarily drink to get drunk, but when you do drugs the purpose is to mess with the mind. And it's a problem when you don't keep control of yourself.  

OneWithDunamis

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:49 am
I think the reason tobacco or pot could be bad is if you get addicted to it. Then, it becomes like a god, and God said, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." I suppose in moderation, it's not bad. Heck, I have some good Christian friends who smoke (tobacco) every now and then ... and I even smoked a couple of times with them, though I prefer second-hand. xd Dang, those Blacks smell good! whee  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:38 pm
OneWithDunamis
Gerbil_of_the_Vashness
Naadiah

I think the reasoning behind that, and this is just my speculation, is that one doesn't necessarily drink to get drunk, but when you do drugs the purpose is to mess with the mind. And it's a problem when you don't keep control of yourself.
some people do drink to get drunk though, that's why we have alcoholics. and the main issue here is self-control, which not everyone has.  

Gerbil_of_the_Vashness

Lady Loiterer

Ricette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 am
Smoking, while gross and potentially the cause of a lingering death, is no sin. Its part of human nature to partake in indulgence and well, many go out of control with it and can lead to big sin. My boyfriend smokes and a lot of friends and family do and they are good people and I doubt they will be sent to hell. Its just a disgusting habit humans formed and indulge in. Nothing more. I'm forever glad I never had an urge to smoke.

Rose, I have to say anything smells better than fulls or menthols. And yeah, in moderation isn't really bad, but to be hardcore addicted, just not right. That can lead to nasty sinnings.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:28 pm
Ricette
Smoking, while gross and potentially the cause of a lingering death, is no sin. Its part of human nature to partake in indulgence and well, many go out of control with it and can lead to big sin. My boyfriend smokes and a lot of friends and family do and they are good people and I doubt they will be sent to hell. Its just a disgusting habit humans formed and indulge in. Nothing more. I'm forever glad I never had an urge to smoke.

Rose, I have to say anything smells better than fulls or menthols. And yeah, in moderation isn't really bad, but to be hardcore addicted, just not right. That can lead to nasty sinnings.

At the same time what's considered a sin is not defined by us, just as the government defines what's against the law. So even if we think it's not wrong, it doesn't make it not a sin. Like consensual pre-marital sex between adults. Society would be fine with it, but it's still a sin within Christianity, and the word itself does imply a religious context.  

OneWithDunamis

Ricette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 am
OneWithDunamis
Ricette

At the same time what's considered a sin is not defined by us, just as the government defines what's against the law. So even if we think it's not wrong, it doesn't make it not a sin. Like consensual pre-marital sex between adults. Society would be fine with it, but it's still a sin within Christianity, and the word itself does imply a religious context.
True, though everyone sins and some people fel that since smoking is so common place and see respected community member smoke, they think nothing of it being sinful. Ii suppose in one context or another it is, but,its not really seen as such by the majority. And its not an overly terrible sin so I just let it be usually.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:42 pm
O_o Everything is permissable but not everything is beneficial.  

Counterbalance

The Beautiful jewel

5,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:01 am
Everything is NOT permissable. It is in fact his temple, where the Holy Spirit resides (1 Corinthians 3:16-17). He gives very specific details on what he does and does not what us to do with our body.

Wine is probably the ONLY thing we are allowed to do. EVERYTHING in MODERATION.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:54 pm
The Beautiful jewel
Everything is NOT permissable. It is in fact his temple, where the Holy Spirit resides (1 Corinthians 3:16-17). He gives very specific details on what he does and does not what us to do with our body.

Wine is probably the ONLY thing we are allowed to do. EVERYTHING in MODERATION.

I was in fact also quoting Paul in 1 Corinthians. Where then, are the specific details on smoking. If you can point them out then there is very little need for this thread. "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial" appears twice in 1 Corinthians. (1 Cor 6:11-13 and 1 Cor 10:22-24)

This is a thread asking opinions and I don't believe your jumping down my throat about disagreeing with my opinion is conducive to a thriving discussion. talk2hand  

Counterbalance

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm
The pastor at a bible study that I go to has put a lot of emphasis on sin being relative to the person. That is, in addition to what is flat out stated in the Bible, and laws of the area you live in, something is also a sin if it gets between you and God, or if you start to hate your habit.

It makes sense to me, really.

As far as tobacco goes, I would imagine the point it starts being a sin is when you start getting irritable at people unless you have a smoke; you can't start the day without one, etc.

I'd put caffeine under the same category, actually.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff