Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Is it ok to "ignore" god? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it ok to "ignore" God?
  yes, totally!
  no way!
  do it your way
  sometimes
View Results

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:02 am
I speak to the God when I'm asking for something to be done, like a request that I have. I speak to the Goddess when I want someone to be protected or I'm requesting something along magical lines.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:04 pm
I suppose it helps if you speak to whom you are most comfortable with.
Unless it is something only the God can help you with, I just think it's nice you do include him in the prayers at least. I don't think he will hold it against you that you talk to the Goddess more. He knows you will come to him if you ever had the need.  

Madam Hare

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:32 pm
March_Hare`
I suppose it helps if you speak to whom you are most comfortable with.
Unless it is something only the God can help you with, I just think it's nice you do include him in the prayers at least. I don't think he will hold it against you that you talk to the Goddess more. He knows you will come to him if you ever had the need.

true enough, true enough  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:19 am
I don't do any rituals yet, but I do find myself thinking of the goddess more. I like the song I've heard called "We All Come From the Goddess"  

Onikara Nightshade

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:34 pm
Onikara Nightshade
I don't do any rituals yet, but I do find myself thinking of the goddess more. I like the song I've heard called "We All Come From the Goddess"

true but without the god there could be no driving creative force, creation needs two force one of feminine force and subtle energy and one of masculine active force.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm
Dragonwinged
WitchyBoy
all of the above is true but i would advise trying to make contact with him, meditate in nature, see the power in fire, feel natures vibration, watch a sunrise just try to make contact hes really not that big and scary, i think of him as an extra dad, like a father figure.

It's good advise smile I hadn't thought about reaching him in other ways to stop feeling uncomfortable. I think I feel intimidating about God because of the Christian's version of god- that "one" scares me lots razz
I'm going to try your tips as soon as I come home from school today wink
Well if it helps you can try what I do. I see the Christian "God" referred to as just that. God. As the one we're talking about is apart of a "set" so to speak. The god & the Goddess, not just God. It gives way to separation on the two & to me that makes me feel more comfortable with The God.  

Demetrius Plateau

Dragonwinged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:40 am
thank you everyone wink it's very nice of you to give me so many helpful ideas. i have tried some of them, and i can honestly say that i feel much more comfortable with both God and Goddess now 3nodding thanks! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:34 pm
Dragonwinged
thank you everyone wink it's very nice of you to give me so many helpful ideas. i have tried some of them, and i can honestly say that i feel much more comfortable with both God and Goddess now 3nodding thanks! heart

good for you!, im very happy for you! mrgreen  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

meindrea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:10 pm
I noticed no one brought up goddess worship, where you worship The Goddess and all goddesses, its basically the more feminine side to things.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:28 pm
well thats where this thread started. i mean there are those wiccans, dianic wiccans, who worship only the goddess or goddesses but in my opinion thats an out of ballance equation.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Clair Fay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:19 pm
I don't think it's right to ignore the God--in any sense of the word. I call myself a "duel" witch sometimes, simply because so many witches, pagans, or whatever they reffer to themselves as, only focus on the Goddess. I like to include the God and Goddess in everything I do and take notw of both the sun and the moon, the fire and the water, the air and the earth. After all, paganism is a system of balance. Our ancients didn't only serve the God and didn't only serve the Goddess. There were temples to both. I think the reason why so many are attracted more to the Goddess than the God is because the Goddess is the mother figure and therefore "related" to caring and kindness where as the God is a father figure and therefore "related" to sternness and quiet love. Personally, I think both are kind and stern, as all parents normally are.

That's just my ten cents, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:27 pm
Kuriyaki
I don't think it's right to ignore the God--in any sense of the word. I call myself a "duel" witch sometimes, simply because so many witches, pagans, or whatever they reffer to themselves as, only focus on the Goddess. I like to include the God and Goddess in everything I do and take notw of both the sun and the moon, the fire and the water, the air and the earth. After all, paganism is a system of balance. Our ancients didn't only serve the God and didn't only serve the Goddess. There were temples to both. I think the reason why so many are attracted more to the Goddess than the God is because the Goddess is the mother figure and therefore "related" to caring and kindness where as the God is a father figure and therefore "related" to sternness and quiet love. Personally, I think both are kind and stern, as all parents normally are.

That's just my ten cents, though.

that makes a very good point actually.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:17 am
San uses Phoenix Down!

So, I'm going back through old threads rezzing them to see if we can't jump-start the guild's activity. I appreciate that the OP may no longer be active or a member of the guild.

This thread is sort of interesting to me because I'm a hard polytheist, but also follow a ditheistic religion as well as a polytheistic one. So it's tricky to know how to look at this discussion. It would matter a lot the type of person the god you worshipped is.... for me, I think it would be unacceptable, even unthinkable, to ignore the God of my religious witchcraft.

But from a polytheistic standpoint, you can't keep up worship of all gods all the time, even within one religion; I don't spend much time honouring, for example, Bragi or Nanna or even Heimdallr. And not all gods are going to like you. So focusing on some gods and not others is way more acceptable, even expected, in that situation.

I guess it's a ditheism thing. When you only have two deities, it doesn't make as much sense to be lax in your honour or worship of one of them. In a lot of ditheistic Paganisms, the two deities are two parts of a whole; you can't access a lot of Mysteries without contact with both of them, without worship of both of them, without putting in the effort to build relationships with both of them. Mine is like this. Others may not be. Also I think it's hard to say "oh it'll be fine" without knowing who the god is that you worship, what he's like and so on.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 am
Within my Neo-Pagan practices, there are some occasions where I find myself defaulting to addressing only the Goddess, rather than both. Sort of a left over of my early days, where I more Goddess focused rather than ditheistic. Just means I have to sometimes make a more conscious effort to include both, but in truth I've never felt all that close to the God, at least not as I have the Goddess.

Which is sort of odd though, because the Heathen leanings that I have are exactly the opposite - they are almost entirely God centered, rather than Goddess.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 am
My answer's going to mimic San's. From a polytheistic standpoint I would think its impossible to all deities so naturally some will get left out. And like San said not all of them are going to like everyone.

But for hopefully adding to the discussion instead of parroting what's already been said, I would almost want to say that its impossible to ignore either gender if you're a polytheist. But then thinking about it everyone's different. Could it be possible that a pagan never comes in contact with deities from one gender at all?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games